The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sil3nt_cha0s
OVER 9000 A*s at GCSE, OVER 9000 A's at AS Level (100% in every module).

Were there 9000 examples of 100% in every module for a subject OR were there 9000 As (80%)?
Reply 41
GCSE: 3A* 8A
AS: AAAAB
A2 (predicted): A*AA (But hopefully will be 2 A*s :P)
Reply 42
graveydave

And I would loooove to study medicine :smile::smile::smile:

In that case, you'll want to read the medicine section of TSR if you haven't found it already :smile:
Have you got any work experience organised?
Reply 43
Looking at those results the GCSEs have no correlation to A levels. I guess that comes as a sign of relief to me as My GCSEs weren't great. I'm gonna try to work really hard this year! People with 8A*s and people with no A*s at GCSE level were able to get 4 As.
Reply 44
Revolution is my Name
State Comprehensive

Where r ya applying? and what course?
Reply 45
trollman
see sig! basically the moral of the story is........ don't take english lit lol

Lol. That's strange, cos my only B at AS was Eng Lit but it was my highest A at AS. So I guess it works both ways!
dawgnuts
Where r ya applying? and what course?

I'm in Year 12, so not applying until next year
Reply 47
Revolution is my Name
I'm in Year 12, so not applying until next year

Oh sorry, what course are you thinking of doing then?
dawgnuts
Oh sorry, what course are you thinking of doing then?

Maths/ Physics/ Chemistry/ Engineering/ Economics.
I'm a bit clueless at the moment I'm afraid :dontknow:
trollman
see sig! basically the moral of the story is........ don't take english lit lol

Why would you do a politics and economics degree without doing either at A-level? :curious:
Reply 50
AAAAAAAAAB at GCSE. AAAC at AS. The moral of the story is definitely not to take English Lit lol.
graveydave
Oh really? That's intriguing. Will they take into account what school you went to because that is, in my opinion, an inarguable influence on GCSE results.

For example, I got 7A*s 1A and 2Bs from an under performing state school. :eek3:

Yes of course they will take things into account, obviously.

But yeah, check out what Oxford do with their medics ; they select the top bunch by GCSES + BMAT . Last year I think they found that all successful applicants at Oxford had 78% of their GCSEs at A* So assuming the average would probably be 7 A*, 1 A or 8 A* 1 A ; who knows.

But for places such as Birmingham, just to APPLY you need to have 7 A* in a sense, or even if you did slip through the proverbial net so to speak ; I doubt you would get very far as there is an obvious 7 A* requirement.
But you don't have anything to think of ; you have top grades lol!

Of course, for medicine, I won't lie and say your grades by themselves are the best, you will find people with 13 + A*s, from underperforming schools too! That is the extent of the competition, but listen, there are always exceptions to the rule.

I know a guy who got into Oxford (the Top for medicine) with 6 A* the rest As and I think an Odd B or so to do Medicine. He had 25 in his BMATs and I think 4 A grades at A-level.

So that is the picture .
But please I'm no medic whatever, I just heard this from my friend
Gcse's I got BB 8C'S D

AS levels ABDD which will be AACD at least with resits

I find it easier to work when theres less subjects and you can focus on the ones that you enjoy .. in GCSES you have to take rubbish lessons that you dont care about and that meant I did not try as much as I could have.
their in my profile

yes long list there, i got bored :erm:

i did average in both tbh so it was alright

do maths...maths ftw

and DONT do english language :nope:

:smile:
TheMeister
Why would you do a politics and economics degree without doing either at A-level? :curious:

They're not particularly common A Levels; at some schools you won't be able to do either
Reply 56
Revolution is my Name
They're not particularly common A Levels; at some schools you won't be able to do either

because i really love the subjects and have been reading around myself :smile: and my school dropped politics and economics as subjects in my year because of poor popularity :'( so i went for the traditional subjects instead! which i have actually quite enjoyed, doing sciences opens more doors than if i had done english, history, politics and economics anyway!
For GCSE I got:
AAABBBCCCD (A in ICT & Geography)

AS:
A - ICT
A - Geography
B - Business

A2:
A - ICT
B - Geography :frown:
C - Business :frown:

Whatever happened to my grades at A2 I will never know! :frown:
I got 4.5 A*s , 5 As and 2 Bs.

In Spanish and English Lit I got A*s at GCSE, in French I got an A and I couldn't do a Politics GCSE, and got 4 As at AS.

Moral of the story with English Literature: Answer the questions exactly how they want you to answer them, and you'll get an A.
Reply 59
Kim-x
AAAAAAAAAB at GCSE. AAAC at AS. The moral of the story is definitely not to take English Lit lol.

DAMN STRAIGHT :mad:

Latest