The Student Room Group

People that use their back door as their front door, why?

This has been bugging me for weeks; I see this all the time and there are some new people who have just moved in across the street from me who do it every time they come home (even though they have to walk past their front door, down the side of their house, and then in the back door) I was just wondering why the hell people feel the need to do this, surely its much easier to just use your front door?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe they are a gay couple? or robbers that like to return to the crime scene? or maybe they've lost their front door key?
Reply 2
From my experience I've noticed 2 reasons.

1. Theres a back gate which is quicker to the car / work / shop whatever.

2. There's so much clutter by the front door they can't open it.

Maybe others :P
Reply 3
(This was at my parents' house... now I live in a flat so it would be kinda difficult)

1) The back door is almost always unlocked anyway.
2) Dad is usually working outside, so you can say hello.
3) Everything gets dumped in the utility room which is where the back door opens on to (shopping, shoes, the like).
4) If you're in a car, you usually park at the back... why would you walk round to the front?
5) We use the back room as the main 'family room'.
Reply 4
Maybe their parents did it too. Back in the day you only used your front door on special ocassions, ie when someone died, a wedding, the birth of a new baby..etc. My parents neighbours only ever used their back door to get in to the house too.
backdoor is usually left open
and its really not much further (depending on what direction i come from)
and we shove all our shoes/coats etc in the conservatory at the back of the house, so it makes it easier
Reply 6
Probably because in lots of cases it leads to the kitchen, where shopping has to be put down etc?

Or just to save people trampling through the house from the front door?
I've got 3 doors in my house. We hardly ever use the front door because it opens onto a tiny square hallway and theres another door and stairs and it's cluttered with coats and shoes any everything. We only use it if we need to sneak something in without anyone seeing (like presents) or if somebody knocks on it from outside which most people don't.

We use our back door which is on the side of the house because it goes straight into the kitchen so it's easy when we bring shopping in and theres a back gate and we've got a dog, so it doesn't run out onto the road when we open it!

I'm sure it's like this for a lot of people.

Some houses where I live have the back (kitchen) door and front door on the same side of the house, lmao.
when i was at uni in a house, the front door actually led into my room. i guess the landlord put a bed into what was once the living room in order to get more money. The back door led into the kitchen/small area with a sofa. Obviously rather than everyone walking through my room to get in, we used the back door.
Or because the front door key doesn't open it from the outside, only from the inside!
Reply 10
I would fully understand if their back door was on their drive but most of the people i have seen doing this have their front door on their drive; so by using the back door its just taking them longer and their walking past their front door.
Reply 11
Because the house at uni you're living in is so messed up the front door opens into someone's bedroom?
Reply 12
We have a front door, a back door, and a side door, we use the side door because our front door isn't openable from the outside (without difficulty) plus the house alarm thing is in the utilty room (where the side door opens on to). We use the front door for letting guests in though. Oh and we don't use the back door because you have to go through the garden.
Reply 13
We do it because we don't have a porch - parents don't liked mud trailed into the sitting room
Reply 14
You get annoyed easily eh?
Reply 15
because we don't have keys for the front door
Back home we use the backdoor as the front. So did all my mates in their parent's houses. No reason whatsoever, it just seemed obvious to everyone.
Reply 17
Mum used to like us going into the back door so dirty shoes and stuff wouldn't go in the nice bit by the front door, but now we're older and she's got bored of telling us off for going in the front.
Reply 18
I use the back door mainly because if we have visiters they come through the front door. If I use the backdoor then I can just dump stuff like shoes and bags and leave it there without getting too much hassle from my parents :tongue:
Reply 19
My nan and grandad who live next door to me use there back door too. Even though they always walk past the front. When I questioned this, they said it was because when they were younger, there older brothers were in the war, and they always left the back door open 24/7 in case they came home at any given moment.

I guess this is just tradition now, leaving the back door unlocked so any family member can "come home".

Latest

Trending

Trending