The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Even if her mother pushed her into going with Polanski, it doesn't change the fact that HE raped her. Makes her a miserable mother though... I just hope he goes to jail. He's been free for too long already.
Reply 81
sron
Jackson was as innocent as OJ.

Whether Polanski is a paedophile or not is a point of pedantry to be decided by the OED's definition of the word. He raped a child and deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail.

True, but not likely yo happen. :yep:
Reply 82
sron

Whether Polanski is a paedophile or not is a point of pedantry to be decided by the OED's definition of the word. He raped a child and deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail.

True, but not likely to happen. :yep:
If he gets back to the US he will.
sron

What a comparison to make... OJ was proven to be liable for his wife and her bf's death in a private settlement a few years ago where it was basically admitted, he ended up paying Nicole Brown's family millions and the right to write the famous book '(If)I did it'

Do not want to speak ill of him, but I really doubt everything I hear about the alleged paedophilia surrounding Jackson, both kids who made the allegations came from crackpot families that tried to extort money and gave unreliable evidence. I think he had an unusual relationship with kids, but I doubt he ever did anything more than treat the kids as his own; in a 'make yourself at home' kind of perspective.
Reply 85
he is guilty of statutory rape, but should not go to prison because the the girl in qestion wants the case dropped and it happened nearly three decades ago.
Baz1990
he is guilty of statutory rape, but should not go to prison because the the girl in qestion wants the case dropped and it happened nearly three decades ago.

It's not up to her, and how would it be relevant how long ago it happened? Would you be saying the same if it had been someone else?
Reply 87
nolongerhearthemusic
It's not up to her, and how would it be relevant how long ago it happened? Would you be saying the same if it had been someone else?

he is too much of a good director to go to jail and too old, people have done much worse things and got away with it
Baz1990
he is too much of a good director to go to jail and too old, people have done much worse things and got away with it

Oh okay. So what is the absolute worst thing he could get away with before you start condemning him? Child rape is pretty indefensibly to start with, but there must be something which being "a good director" and "old" doesn't negate.
Reply 89
nolongerhearthemusic
Oh okay. So what is the absolute worst thing he could get away with before you start condemning him? Child rape is pretty indefensibly to start with, but there must be something which being "a good director" and "old" doesn't negate.

murder or tax evasion
Reply 90
Baz1990

This is where Europeans differ from Americans.

You guys are too liberal. Sex, drugs are fine for the most part.
UGeNe
This is where Europeans differ from Americans.

You guys are too liberal. Sex, drugs are fine for the most part.

Sex and drugs are fine, rape is not.
Reply 92
nolongerhearthemusic
Sex and drugs are fine, rape is not.

Rape is involuntary sex, but still just sex. :confused:
UGeNe
Rape is involuntary sex, but still just sex. :confused:

So when you say Europeans are too liberal about sex, are you saying that means we tolerate rape? Because being liberal about consensual sex is completely different from being liberal about rape, in one case no on is hurt and in the other people are hurt badly.
Reply 94
nolongerhearthemusic
So when you say Europeans are too liberal about sex, are you saying that means we tolerate rape? Because being liberal about consensual sex is completely different from being liberal about rape, in one case no on is hurt and in the other people are hurt badly.

1 word for you.

"Lolita"
UGeNe
1 word for you.

"Lolita"

What is your point?
Reply 96
nolongerhearthemusic
What is your point?

Popular book, published in Paris, half a century ago. :yep:
UGeNe

Yes but having sex with 12-year-olds is illegal all over Europe (except in Vatican City but shh). We don't actually tolerate it, it's just a novel.
UGeNe

Its just a bloody book.
Reply 99
Antonia87
Its just a bloody book.

It's a top seller. That doesn't happen to every book out there.

I wonder why? :yep:

Latest