The Student Room Group

Herpes?

I think I have herpes. Over the past year on two different occasions I have gotten little painful wart things on my....ahem....*lady's parts* that have been there for about a week then disappeared. I just recently read about the symptoms of herpes and they sound very similar to what I have. I know I should go and see a doctor but I don't have any of the symptoms at the moment and I don't know when the warts will next break out. Should I go to the doctor now even though there would be no warts for them to look at, or should i wait until i get them again?

The one thing I'm most annoyed about is that I have never had sex, or oral sex, and I've never even kissed anyone so how can I have an STD? Could I have had it since birth, but then why would I have just recently gotten the symptoms? (I'm 17 by the way).

So, any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thecatinthehat
I think I have herpes. Over the past year on two different occasions I have gotten little painful wart things on my....ahem....*lady's parts* that have been there for about a week then disappeared. I just recently read about the symptoms of herpes and they sound very similar to what I have. I know I should go and see a doctor but I don't have any of the symptoms at the moment and I don't know when the warts will next break out. Should I go to the doctor now even though there would be no warts for them to look at, or should i wait until i get them again?

The one thing I'm most annoyed about is that I have never had sex, or oral sex, and I've never even kissed anyone so how can I have an STD? Could I have had it since birth, but then why would I have just recently gotten the symptoms? (I'm 17 by the way).

It seems unlikely that you would have herpes, if you've never kissed someone let alone slept with anyone, but i would still go to the Doctor, as there could be something wrong. :smile:
Reply 2
yeah would be odd for you to get it without any kind of sexual contact but if they're painful you should see a doctor i think, maybe they're just warts? although I dont really know much about warts or that stuffs. Must mention though, that i dont think STUI clinics offer any kind of test for herpes unless there are symptoms present (at least the one I go to doesnt)
Reply 3
the easiest thing is to go to a doctor, if there is a problem they'll a. know what its is quite quickly and b. be able to sort it out. if you've never had any sexual contact then its very unlikly to be an STD.
Reply 4
Best thing is just to go to the doctors... if only to put your mind at rest.
I doubt it's herpes though, but its best just to see, and it can't be very nice even if it's not so anything that gets rid of them is a good thing, right?
bohogirlie
It seems unlikely that you would have herpes, if you've never kissed someone let alone slept with anyone, but i would still go to the Doctor, as there could be something wrong. :smile:

99% of genital herpes is sexually transmitted, but that means some aren't...:wink:

You CAN catch it by sharing a towel and other non-sexual contact. its rare, mjuch rarer than sexually transmitted but is possible.

get yourself checked out in a clinic
Reply 6
woo i have herpes! (the mouth variety that is!!)

i was sure you could only get sexually transmitted diseases from sexual contact...

but listen to fool, he knows all regarding medical everything
Reply 7
you can never get rid of herpes right? and its just millions of cold sores in the mouth isnt it lozza?
Reply 8
if you ever get cold sores you have the herpes virus, and the strain that can cause genital problems.

do you ever get cold sores? its an indicator, but you may only get cold sores and not outbreaks anywhere other than the face.
Reply 9
ramroff
you can never get rid of herpes right? and its just millions of cold sores in the mouth isnt it lozza?

no, you have it forever, and it can easily be passed to others. theres a decent chance that if you have it, your partner will end up getting it at some point.
Reply 10
thekillersrock
yeah would be odd for you to get it without any kind of sexual contact but if they're painful you should see a doctor i think, maybe they're just warts? although I dont really know much about warts or that stuffs. Must mention though, that i dont think STUI clinics offer any kind of test for herpes unless there are symptoms present (at least the one I go to doesnt)

you can get the virus from your mother in the whom. infact, NHSV (passed to the baby) can be fatal. it doesnt necessarily require sexual contact.

in this case it might not even be herpes. could be a rash or other infection
Thank you all very much for your advice. I am going to book an appointment at my nearest GUM clinic and hopefully find out what this darn thing is :rolleyes:
Reply 12
no it's not loads of coldsores in the mouth. mostly the virus is dormant but you get them sometimes. i have one right now but i attacked it so it's kinda going away. i don't get them that much. i caught them off playing a borrowed flute when i was about 7.
Reply 13
This may seem stupid, but are you sure it's not just ingrown hairs?
thecatinthehat

herpes can break out at anytime... some people only have one break out and never again1 yet some get them weekly.. got you have a gum clinic near you? or phone or txt this number
07770 266366
or visit
www.f-risky.co.uk .. should help good luck!
it is possible to get genital herpes from things other than sexual contact.. say you touched your private parts after coming into contact with a coldsore (of a friend's, for instance) you could effectively be passing on the virus.

about 70% of the population carry the herpes simplex virus (which includes those with facial coldsores), so it isn't uncommon. there are two types; if you have coldsores around your mouth, it isn't possible to get them around your genitals as well.

have you experienced any flu like symptoms? they're frequently associated with herpes and an outbreak is often accompanied by them.

I'd say book an appointment with your GP anyway, as it sounds like something isn't quite right down there, and if he/she thinks you should go to the gum clinic you'll be referred from there.
ps. I just noticed that you haven't currently got any of the herpes-type symptoms, in which case, maybe wait until they next resurface, as it's difficult to test for the herpes simplex virus when it isn't actually active.
Reply 17
Lozza
no it's not loads of coldsores in the mouth. mostly the virus is dormant but you get them sometimes. i have one right now but i attacked it so it's kinda going away. i don't get them that much. i caught them off playing a borrowed flute when i was about 7.

i caught herpes when i was 9 in the sea in majorca. that was a mighty fine facial rash lol.

now i only get cold sores every so often, maybe once a year, and only on my top lip. its a strange little virus.
Reply 18
You can catch it from the sea?!

Jeez, the health education at my school clearly left me so uninformed :rolleyes:
Reply 19
pikaboo
You can catch it from the sea?!

Jeez, the health education at my school clearly left me so uninformed :rolleyes:

thats what the spanish doc said. was fine that morning, was at the beach all day, and then the next morning my face was wrecked :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending