The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
The main difference is that the SCITT is primarily school-based while PGCEs are primarily university-based. SCITT places tend to be very competitive and there are not that many of them. I'm pretty sure you don't get paid for the SCITT, but you do for the GTP which is another route into teaching.
Reply 3
I am applying for a SCITT course at Wandsworth Primary School Consortium. As brak3n says the SCITT courses are more school based rather than uni based.

I chose this because I left uni 5 years ago and so I thought I would prefer more on the job learning. You do only get paid if you do the GTP route but as far as I understand you have to already be working as an unqualified teacher in order to do it that way. The school you work in has to agree to pay you whilst training you and understandably the places are few and far between for this.
Reply 4
Montido
I am applying for a SCITT course at Wandsworth Primary School Consortium. As brak3n says the SCITT courses are more school based rather than uni based.

Ahhh i was going to apply there - what made you choose to do it like this as opposed to the PGCE?
Reply 5
Hana_87
Ahhh i was going to apply there - what made you choose to do it like this as opposed to the PGCE?

I chose it because I would prefer learning on the job and spending more time in the schools with the children rather than in the lecture theatre.
I went for the Wandsworth one in particular mostly because it is close to home for me and also it seems to be well regarded.

Are you applying there too?
Reply 6
Montido
I chose it because I would prefer learning on the job and spending more time in the schools with the children rather than in the lecture theatre.
I went for the Wandsworth one in particular mostly because it is close to home for me and also it seems to be well regarded.

Are you applying there too?

No, think i'm gonna go with the PGCE. I've heard more about it and it just seems a little bit safer, i like the idea of having a certificate in education aswell - i'm not sure the SCITT offers this, although maybe it does, not sure.
Reply 7
Hi there!

I am currently studying at the Wandsworth Primary Consortium (SCIIT) and I cannot recommend it to you both and higher! You get great support from tutors and mentors, great placements and more time in schools generally. It is also a great social community!

It is also important to know that SCITT is just a different method of teacher training and NOT an alternative qualification... you still obtain a PGCE on completion of the course. You also complete units that give you a 1/3 of a masters degree too!

I really can't recommend this course any more.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 8
Great to hear from someone doing the course. Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I just found out from GTTR that i have been invited to interview. Sooo happy! getting more nervous now though. Can you remember your interview Mr tabs? Any info on what to expect or tips on how to impress!?

mr_tabs
Hi there!

I am currently studying at the Wandsworth Primary Consortium (SCIIT) and I cannot recommend it to you both and higher! You get great support from tutors and mentors, great placements and more time in schools generally. It is also a great social community!

It is also important to know that SCITT is just a different method of teacher training and NOT an alternative qualification... you still obtain a PGCE on completion of the course. You also complete units that give you a 1/3 of a masters degree too!

I really can't recommend this course any more.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 9
@Montido and mr_tabs

I've applied to Wandsworth SCITT too - my interview is scheduled for 11 Nov. It's a really exciting thing for me - I feel like a big change is about to happen in my life!It's great to hear good feedback about the course - it sounds like a really positive community!

Any clues on what to expect/prepare for specifically would be much appreciated. Apparently they will be sending out interview packs in the post but due to the strikes I haven't recieved any mail for weeks..!
Reply 10
I heard from Wandsworth today - interview is now postponed til either December or Jan due to the postal strike. They can't ensure that everyone will recieve the info in time with the current situation..guess we have longer to prepare!
Reply 11
Hi Heezy
I heard yesterday from Wandsworth about my interview, sadly it is not until 24th February! Seems so far away. How about you?
I did not receive an interview pack but I would be most keen for advice on sample tests and interview questions.
Reply 12
^^

Hi Friern (All),

When did you send off your application? I sent mine over a week ago with Wandsworth as my first choice and was wondering when I may expect to hear from them, if ever!
Reply 13
Hi all, :smile:

sorry for the late reply, Ive been off on teaching placement and completing assignments. It's all been abit busy.

Right, interviews... first of all don't worry, I remember mine and I was seriously worried but try not to (easy to say I know!). The folks who interview are really good at putting you at ease and making you feel relaxed.

If I have any advice it would be to read up on things currently going on in education (The national curriculum Rose Review, the dispute about KS2 SATS, all that kind of stuff - TES online is a good place to look!) as they are almost certain to ask you what you.

Also, really thinking about why you are choosing SCITT instead of a regular PGCE (thinking about its small community and local links, school based training, etc). Really go on about why you and SCITT would be a good partnership. :smile:

There are short reading and maths test to complete too. The english test is marking a piece of writing if I remember right and the maths is a short test to about year 6 level, bush up on abit of basic algebra, fractions and decimals.

This all may seem a bit much, but just a little knowledge on this stuff would be useful for your interviews. I wish you all the best of luck with your interviews.

:woo:
Hey there,
Just a quick question, with the SCITT programme, does this qualify you to teach at FE level in colleges?

Latest

Trending

Trending