The Student Room Group

Not well at all - what could this be?

I've never been this ill before, i'll just name the symptoms:

-throughout the night kept shivering but was really hot at same time(still got this atm)
- Felt really sick and shaky this morning
- keep having diarrhea - like water(sorry if it's too much detail)
- Stayed in bed most of the day, I couldn't walk - felt so weak and dizzy.
- all my muscles are achey
- had a bad headache most the day too

argh. I hate being ill.
My manager the other day came in and he recently had a virus and was in hospital - and he kept holding his stomach like he was in pain - hope I've not got that! What else could it be? Also what can I eat - All i've had today is 2 pieces of toast, 2 biscuits and a small amount of shreddies, it just goes right through me though :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would have said flu however as you have the runs it seems probable you have food poisioning, if you do have food poisioning you won't really have any appetite.

Have whatever you can stomach. Lucozade may be good too.
My mum had similar symptoms to these and got diagnosed with swine flu. :dontknow: You should go to the doctor, though.
Reply 3
Flu maybe? Its that time of year
Swine flu?
Reply 5
It just sounds like stomach flu/normal flu to me.
Reply 7
Food poisoning
Reply 8
Hope it's not swine flu. I've only ever had flu once when I was little.. So have never been ill like this before- I hardly ever get ill.
I haven't had much of an appetite for the past few days but my mum had been forcing me to eat something!
I didn't feel quite right on sat & sun.. didn't eat much and my muscles were hurting but didn't feel as bad as today! :frown: I can hardly stand up - such effort just to walk to toilet! :/
are you at uni?

if so then it could be freshers flu

if not, then it could be flu
Reply 10

on that website it says :

1)headache,
2)runny nose,
3)sore throat,
4)shortness of breath or cough,
5)loss of appetite,
6)aching muscles,
7)diarrhoea or vomiting.
8) unusual tiredness

I've got no. 1, 5, 6, 7 & 8

So i've not got a cough, sore throat or runny nose! Maybe it is food poisoning.. but i've not ate a lot over the weekend.. or think of anything that would cause it.
Reply 11
Anon the 7th
are you at uni?

if so then it could be freshers flu

if not, then it could be flu

nope not at uni
Reply 12
I'm feeling really ill - and cannot sleep :frown: hate this! Is there anything I can take to help???
Reply 13
:frown: being ill sucks, what meds have you taken so far?
How are you feeling? It sounds like swine flu / flu, the main sympton of that being a fever, are you still feeling hot and cold and have you taken your temperature?

With these things it's best to just treat the symptons. How long have you had diarrhoea for? If it's over 12 hours get some tablets like imodium etc to stop you loosing fluids. You can take paracetamol / ibuprofen for your aching muscles, alternate between the two every 2 hours - but make sure you don't go over the maxium dose per 24 hours (ie you can have up to 4 doses of paracetamol every 24 hours - 8 tablets - but only 3 doses of ibuprofen every 24 hours, which is 6 tablets).

As for food, the most important thing is to stay hydrated. Drink things like flat / watered down lemonade, lucozade sport (they advise you not to drink normal lucozade as a rehydration drink) or by some of those sachets from the pharmacist - diahoralite I think they're called. Then food wise stay with plain, simple foods like toast, biscuits, rice, porridge...

Hope you feel better!
Sounds like you may have swine flu :frown:

Have lemsip (or some other paracetamol product) up to once every four hours, no more than 4 doses in 24 hours.

Try and avoid taking Tamiflu - apparently the side effects are worse than the swine flu (cold sweats, nausea and even depression).
Reply 16
I haven't really took any medication - well I took one paracetamol last night.. I can't stand takin pills but i'm gonna have to because I feel like crap! :'( and my tummy hurts :frown::frown: and i've got a headache/ still feel dizzy whenever I walk. Not nice.

Been up since 3am and have been to the toilet 9 times!!! that can't be normal. Definitely no sign that its going yet. This morning I was shivering so hard I actually couldn't stop myself from shivering was horrible :'(
Then other times I feel really hot - all feverish. (Haven't got a thermometer!)
I will try having a lemsip - really hate them though.. as they have made me throw up when I've been ill in the past!
All i've had is some shreddies today - but it went straight through again, I really don't feel like eating.
I hope this goes by thursday because i've got an 8 hr shift to do!!
Reply 17
Insanespana
How are you feeling? It sounds like swine flu / flu, the main sympton of that being a fever, are you still feeling hot and cold and have you taken your temperature?

With these things it's best to just treat the symptons. How long have you had diarrhoea for? If it's over 12 hours get some tablets like imodium etc to stop you loosing fluids. You can take paracetamol / ibuprofen for your aching muscles, alternate between the two every 2 hours - but make sure you don't go over the maxium dose per 24 hours (ie you can have up to 4 doses of paracetamol every 24 hours - 8 tablets - but only 3 doses of ibuprofen every 24 hours, which is 6 tablets).

As for food, the most important thing is to stay hydrated. Drink things like flat / watered down lemonade, lucozade sport (they advise you not to drink normal lucozade as a rehydration drink) or by some of those sachets from the pharmacist - diahoralite I think they're called. Then food wise stay with plain, simple foods like toast, biscuits, rice, porridge...

Hope you feel better!

This is the second day of me having really bad diarrhoea.. I will try taking some of those tablets and see if it helps... that's if we have any in the cupboard! :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Holamigo
on that website it says :

1)headache,
2)runny nose,
3)sore throat,
4)shortness of breath or cough,
5)loss of appetite,
6)aching muscles,
7)diarrhoea or vomiting.
8) unusual tiredness

I've got no. 1, 5, 6, 7 & 8

So i've not got a cough, sore throat or runny nose! Maybe it is food poisoning.. but i've not ate a lot over the weekend.. or think of anything that would cause it.

You don't have to have all of those symptoms to have flu.
Sounds like flu to me.
You'll just have to wait for it to pass, unless you want to get Tamiflu, which will make it go away quicker, but only by 1 day. Call your doctor if you want it.
Reply 19
It's probably just normal flu... i've only had it 2 days now, So I'll see how I am tommorow.

I took 2 beechams flu capsules about an hour ago.. feel a little better but i've got a really bad fever at the moment!! :frown: arghhhhhhhh i HATE being this ill! even when I walk I feel like i'm going to collapse! :'(

Latest