The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/faqs/?faqno=1482

They do not use the GCSE standardisation score for Medecine. This does not meant they don't take your GCSEs into account - it just means they don't look at how 'good' your school was when they're judging your GCSEs - they look at your GCSEs just as they are, compared to other candidates. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

edit: you could probably have asked this in the other thread you made! As people are suggesting in there, maybe try BioMed @ Stockton or something?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I find it extremely unfair that many schools specifically communicate that GCSEs will not strongly affect, in themselves, your admission to University. The point is, that they do.

To the OP, GCSEs are a factor. But I strongly believe you will have a very good chance if recieve A* A-Levels in the core sciences, and if you have outstanding volunteer work before you start. You can apply a year later.

A friend of mine was rejected from all 5 of his choices after 9*As at GCSE and 5As at A-Level. He applied a year later and is now at St. George's.

Talk to the people in the Medicine forum.
Yeah, I forgot about the need for relevant work experience too. If you've not done it in a hospital or doctor's surgery or something, then you can have great grades and get rejected.

Latest