The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
give up no chance with ABB
Reply 2
Thanks. i wont take the advice. But thanks
Consider taking it up for at least AS! You could also resit some units in order to push those grades up even more. Don't forget about work experience, voluntary work and other extra-curricular activities that can boost your application.

I would recommend checking out prospectuses and websites for more information regarding requirements. Also, see if you can talk to people who have done/are doing/are thinking of doing veterinary science too.
Reply 4
Thankyou, I am trying to get in touch with a college at the moment to apply to do As biology, but I hadn't thought of work experience!
Reply 5
Hi, Haylo.

1. What A level subjects are you taking? Why didn't you pick biology if your dream is veterinary?
2. What work experience have you got?
Reply 6
Hi
1. i have already taken A Levels Drama -A
Sociology - B
Geogrpahy - B
and I have only just figured out its what I really want to do, sadly two years too late!!
2. The only work experience I have is working at a riding stables..
there is a 6 year course at nottingham for people without science A levels but i not sure your grades/the subjects are academic enough im afraid- the best bet is to look at their prospectus. And you NEED work experience- and lots of it, especially as you have made your decision late. It needs to be varied and with vets as well as animals. the other option is to try and get a science degree and then do post grad
Reply 8
Well, you'll only know if veterinary is really for you if you when doing work experience. You don't only need Bio to get in am afraid, you also need Chemistry. Try get some dairy placements, work at small and large animal clinics, kennels and/or cattery, lambing... getting your hands dirty is important, and although you may strongly feel that veterinary is the career for you, you may well change your mind when you're waking up at 4:30 in the morning to milk cows, or see an animal being PTS (and realising you will have to do this one day).

I think Nottingham has a prelim year if you did no science A levels, but it's quite difficult to get in to. You should look it up though.

Otherwise your best bet is taking a year off to do Bio and Chem A levels, whilst simultaneously doing MUCH more work experience. (Look up Liverpool's work experience minimum, and strive for that if not more as many applicants will have started doing placements from a ridiculously young age).
Reply 9
Thanks I will look into Nottingham. I just have the problem of being able to afford to live whilst doing work experience, but I will figure it out some way
Reply 10
You need Chemistry too.
Reply 11
:frown: .................this is all beginging to look very unrealistic, I cant afford to give up my job, because I need the rent money. Looks like i may have to look for another career, thankyou anyway :frown:
Reply 12
Look, you cant get into Veterinary these days without at LEAST AAB with BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY AT A LEVEL.

and from my medics group from last year, you need to have realistically at least 2A*'s and the rest A's for GCSE, maybe a B here and there if you are lucky.

What A levels do you already have?
Reply 13
None that are relevant, but this chat has made me give up on it anyway as it has been the only place to give me clear information. Ireallycant afford do work experience and re-do a levels, it would mean being homeless....
Reply 14
You could always take a year out and save up money to fund the next year.
Reply 15
mathew551
Consider taking it up for at least AS! You could also resit some units in order to push those grades up even more. Don't forget about work experience, voluntary work and other extra-curricular activities that can boost your application.

I would recommend checking out prospectuses and websites for more information regarding requirements. Also, see if you can talk to people who have done/are doing/are thinking of doing veterinary science too.

What a pussy, didn't even do DADA at NEWT :eek:
Reply 16
dont give up!!! not if its what you want to do. what abut a veternary nurse or something. surely if you did that then youd get paid and itd count as experience ? :frown:
Reply 17
mazzie111
dont give up!!! not if its what you want to do. what abut a veternary nurse or something. surely if you did that then youd get paid and itd count as experience ? :frown:

I know everyone wants to help - but we should also try give realistic advice I think. I know vet medicine is very competitive - and with having done 3 irrelevant subjects at A level already - and desperately needing at least an A in A2 biology to stand a good chance (2 other hard sciences too, to be competitive), it looks like it will be too much to catchup on, as the OP has realised.

Not saying she could never end up working as a vet, but, it looks like studying it may become 1 hurdle too high.. (considering circumstances)
Reply 18
thats true. i dont really know alot about veterinary science. was jst trying to help

:smile:
Reply 19
Relly sorry... i was in a same situation but i had taken chemistry and physics at AS and i wanted to do medicine so i took biology AS in my A2 year unless you can do chem A2 in one year and bio AS then i dont think you have a chance .. try the nottingham prelim course

Latest

Trending

Trending