The Student Room Group

Not eating

Ever since I got to uni I've found it really hard to eat. Most days I eat nothing. Every time I make something to eat I'll have a few mouthfuls and feel sick. I really don't like feeling this way. I spend most of my time with low energy or feeling sick.

A few people now have asked me if I'm anorexic and I don't think I am because it's not that I don't want to eat, I just can't seem to. I also don't care overly about my weight.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe it's the stress... try seeking medical advice. :rolleyes:
Reply 2
i agree i had the same thing and it was stress about my exams. i felt so hungrey but as soon as i made food i felt sick and couldn't eat it.
Try starting off with small portions?

The best thing would be to seek medical advice.

Since I've started college I don't seem to eat much either. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I would have to say its probably the stress of moving out/away from home, having to meet new people etc. The best thing to do is to cook smaller meals/snacks and eat little but often. I suffered something very similar last year and all i could eat was probably about the amount a 3 year old would eat so I tended to opt for snacks like fruit/cereal bars etc. Also ginger either crystalised ginger (from a health food shop/julian graves) or Ginger nut biscuits are really good since ginger is known to stop people feeling sick so i used to have a small meal and then a couple of biscuits which would mean i was getting the nutrients i needed but at the same time wasn't feeling sick. Also as others said if it continues and you drastically start losing weight, go see a doctor.
Reply 5
Yeah I'd agree with it being stress. When I started university, even though I'm living at home, the pressure of finding where I have to be and meeting new friends meant I basically lived on half a sandwich every day for a week, and I even struggled to eat that.
Reply 6
I have tried eating small portions but I can't manage them. I did go out the other day and manage to eat a sandwich and that was okay. But then that was all I ate that day and I then didn't eat for another two days.

I may consider going to my doctors, but I haven't been to the doctor at uni yet and I'm not sure if I'm properly registered yet.
Reply 7
Anonymous
I have tried eating small portions but I can't manage them. I did go out the other day and manage to eat a sandwich and that was okay. But then that was all I ate that day and I then didn't eat for another two days.

I may consider going to my doctors, but I haven't been to the doctor at uni yet and I'm not sure if I'm properly registered yet.

You should be able to get an emergency appointment with a doctor even if you're not registered, or your university may have a health drop in. If not register with a doctor!! You fill in some forms, take some ID and there you go :smile: Not eating for 2 days is rather serious so i would go see them asap.
I'm kinda the same as you atm, I spent all of yesterday feeling sick and hardly ate anything, and feeling awful this morning as well. I'm trying to force myself to eat an apple cos I know I need to eat, my stomach is rumbling so much, but I feel like I'll throw up if I do :frown:
Reply 9
22KT22
You should be able to get an emergency appointment with a doctor even if you're not registered, or your university may have a health drop in. If not register with a doctor!! You fill in some forms, take some ID and there you go :smile: Not eating for 2 days is rather serious so i would go see them asap.

I know, I should, and maybe I will. I've managed half a slice of toast this morning spread over about half an hour. But, I think I have lost quite a bit of weight in this past week and a half. I'm just rather scared, to be honest. When I get stressed I tend to get ill rather than stop eating. Everyone here keeps telling me to eat but I just can't. My diet so far has been something like this:

Friday- A bowl of pasta
Saturday- Cereal in the morning, a bite of toast later
Sunday- Nothing
Monday- Small amount of toast again- my attempt at beans on toast but I just couldn't face it
Tuesday- Curry in the evening
Wednesday- McDonalds at about 12- I had a burger but no fries
Thursday- A few mouthfulls of pasta followed by a piece of KFC chicken much later.
Friday- Nothing
Saturday- A huge baguette that was bought for me and I really struggled with
Sunday- Nothing
Monday- Nothing
Tuesday- so far half a slice of toast

Putting it like that, I do eat most days, just not really any more than one meal. :frown:
Reply 10
Anonymous
I know, I should, and maybe I will. I've managed half a slice of toast this morning spread over about half an hour. But, I think I have lost quite a bit of weight in this past week and a half. I'm just rather scared, to be honest. When I get stressed I tend to get ill rather than stop eating. Everyone here keeps telling me to eat but I just can't. My diet so far has been something like this:

Friday- A bowl of pasta
Sunday- Nothing
Monday- Small amount of toast again- my attempt at beans on toast but I just couldn't face it
Thursday- A few mouthfulls of pasta followed by a piece of KFC chicken much later.
Friday- Nothing
Sunday- Nothing
Monday- Nothing

Putting it like that, I do eat most days, just not really any more than one meal. :frown:

If you're worried go with a friend to the drop in/doctor im sure they wont mind. If you don't go you're only going to continue not eating and probably make yourself more stressed by the fact you're not eating! So it will end up being a viscious circle, when i got ill and barely ate i lost half a stone in a week and everyone got rather worried including myself. You need to go to the doctors theres no other option...
Reply 11
Okay, thank you. I might leave it until Wednesday and see how I'm feeling. I'm off on Wednesday afternoon and all of Thursday so it'll give me time to try and get an appointment and sort myself out.

I keep thinking I'll get better on my own but I just don't know. I can't imagine a doctor can do much anyway, surely?
I'm having the same problem atm. I've completely lost my appetite and feel sick once I have forced myself to eat something.

Maybe there's a bug going round? Someone from my work was also feeling the same last week.
Reply 13
When you can't eat, is it because you actually don't feel hungry, or are you hungry but eating just makes you feel sick? If it's the latter, I can identify with you. I'm quite sensitive to environment when I eat, and if a place looks or smells a certain way, I feel like I'm going to gag if I try to eat. I get a horrible phlegmy thing in the back of my throat- I've never been able to eat around barbies; I spose it's because they look human-like, but are made out of plastic. Do you feel comfortable in your new kitchen at uni, or do you find something about it repulsive? I'm probably completely wrong, but just wondered if you have the same kind of thing as me.
I was feeling incredibly ill last week and didn't eat much at all because I'd feel sick every time I tried to eat, and I'm still struggling to eat now! It seems like it could be stress but it might also be a bug so go to your doctor/drop in centre.
Reply 15
I don't think it's my kitchen or anything like that- it's quite nice. Half the time I don't feel hungry. Earlier in the week I just never felt hungry. Now, I do feel hungry every now and then but if I cook something as soon as I look at it I'm not hungry. Or, whenever I start to eat something, I feel sick. So, it's a bit of a combination of both.

Problem is, now I'm starting to get head aches from lack of food. I might try and eat an apple before I go out, that might help.
Reply 16
Once you get into a routine, it will be easier. Maybe you should set yourself 'goals' saying you will eat so much a day, and then slowly build it up, into proper meals, and then into your 3 meals a day. Set them so you eat before lectures, so you have more energy. or perhaps go out with some friends for a coffee and order a cake, you may feel better eating in front of people or something. Hope you feel better soon :smile:
Reply 17
Anonymous

Friday- A bowl of pasta
Sunday- Nothing
Friday- Nothing
Sunday- Nothing
Monday- Nothing

This is extremely bad for your health. You really need to fight against it - stop thinking about it, just eat in front of your laptop or something to take your mind off of it. Tell me how it goes! :smile:
See a doctor.

But it's important that you keep eating in the meantime. Get up early (ish) and have breakfast, and then try to get the other meals in during the day. Buy stuff that you think you'll enjoy eating.
Samalama
This is extremely bad for your health. You really need to fight against it - stop thinking about it, just eat in front of your laptop or something to take your mind off of it. Tell me how it goes! :smile:
For the past week I've been exactly the same.. It's easier said than done when your body is rejecting food because of nausia or a loss of appetite.

Latest