The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DC Doberman
These are human beings we're talking about, not livestock. What you seem to fail to realize is that by not giving them food and bednets, you're sentencing them to death. That doesn't bother you? You're saying "sorry, you've got to die so the rest of the people here have more to go around. I'm smart, so I get to decide what amount of people is 'too much.' And you, my friend, are one african too many."

This is rich-country hubris at its pinnacle, and frankly, it's quite disgusting.

You're right about the rest, of course, we should help educate and lower infant mortality, so people can make their own decisions about fertility rates. But in the meantime, if we've got the ability to save lives, of course we should do it.

You have to feed them correct but trade is much more effective than aid at alleviating poverty. Blame the massive subsidies the EU and the US provide for their farmers which undercut the prices of poorest farmers in the world. If we really wanted to help Africa and other third world countries, we'd stop these massive subsidies and allow their farmers to actually compete.
Reply 41
Libtolu
Its sold at what they're prepared to sell it, called consumer/supplier surplus.

And i was led to believe that the resources are usually sold at or ner world market price.

Market prices aren't the only factors effecting prices.

Libtolu

And to be honest if the governments want weapons they get weapons, its the people who live there that have to rise up and overthrow the corrupt regime and make their own democratic regime.

Yeah because overthrowing a whole damn US trained and supplied army is sooo easy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8280603.stm
CombineHarvester
You have to feed them correct but trade is much more effective than aid at alleviating poverty. Blame the massive subsidies the EU and the US provide for their farmers which undercut the prices of poorest farmers in the world. If we really wanted to help Africa and other third world countries, we'd stop these massive subsidies and allow their farmers to actually compete.

I agree with this, I hate farm subsidies. But the point is, aid or trade, people gotta eat. We have no business "thinning the herd." The earlier posters weren't just against aid, they were against too many people surviving.

But again, I agree that there are much more effective ways to address African issues than what's being done today.
Reply 43
DC Doberman
These are human beings we're talking about, not livestock. What you seem to fail to realize is that by not giving them food and bednets, you're sentencing them to death. That doesn't bother you? You're saying "sorry, you've got to die so the rest of the people here have more to go around. I'm smart, so I get to decide what amount of people is 'too much.' And you, my friend, are one african too many."

This is rich-country hubris at its pinnacle, and frankly, it's quite disgusting.

You're right about the rest, of course, we should help educate and lower infant mortality, so people can make their own decisions about fertility rates. But in the meantime, if we've got the ability to save lives, of course we should do it.

The fact is the rest of the world can't go on subsidising there oversized populace unless they can start feeding themselves then they have too many people.

The fact is you cant go on living over your limits and if they cant even feed their ******* population then clearly some of them need to die.

Kill half so the other half can live properly.
Reply 44
Why send more troops to places were they will be blown up and we won't gain any land?
Libtolu
The fact is the rest of the world can't go on subsidising there oversized populace unless they can start feeding themselves then they have too many people.

The fact is you cant go on living over your limits and if they cant even feed their ******* population then clearly some of them need to die.

You don't go about letting a load of people die to control the population, you do it by education (especially women), legislation etc.

Also, the population of a lot of African countries isn't that much, the comparatively wealthier countries in Africa like Nigeria and South Africa have a much higher population.

The whole reason they're having so many kids anyway is because they're poor and need a lot of children to help out in the family.
Libtolu

You're an armchair moron. :smile: Who's to say what's "living properly?" Maybe I should kill you and your family, since they don't live the way I think is "proper?" Sound good?

Have you been to Africa? I'm really curious where you get your arrogant plans for genocide-according-to-wealth. It's mind-boggling that you accept without pause the premise that Africa must be so terrible that being dead would be better than living there. The only reason I can come up with is that you've never actually seen poverty and you've let your imagination run a little wild.

More generally, you have no idea what you're talking about. Africa is not even densely populated relative to the rest of the world, and there are more than enough resources to provide for everyone, it's an issue of management. Think Russia during the Soviet era. Would it make sense to kill all of the hungry people there? Or in China a few years ago? Of course not. As soon as the management of the resources in those countries improved, no one went hungry. The same goes for Africa, and while we're waiting, we don't let children fade out of existence in one of the most painful deaths imaginable, if we can help it. That's human decency, you heartless jerk.
Reply 47
Africa is over population for the current situation due to all the reasons given above. To continue dishing out aid is unsustainable and counter-productive in the long term. The best way to solve the Africa problem would be to reassume absolute control of all corrupt or dictator states; bring in agricultural and engineering experts from the west and start again from the bottom. Africa is capable of feeding herself with western methods as seen in the days of Rhodesia and the white farmers, but the current regimes will not allow western intervention and unfortunately most of the populace seem to be able to tolerate there own small patch of land and high infant mortality rate along as the president is from the same tribe as them.
We have to consider that the west involvation in Africa will have positive affect. As many people say Afican people should develop thier country on thier own. But did they know what they will need to develop in order to get out poverty, starvation and obsolescense. Do they know that's huge process. Let me make it clear. They need to develop education, economy, traffic, goverment, military, infastructure and a lot of things. How can they do at the same time?? They have to do one by one. Do you know how long all these things will be done by african people? The answer is one hundred year or thousand year...
Back to the main question, if we focus on international affair, we will easily recognise that west are changing target to the Middile East where natural resources is abundant, for example oil, iron...
Reply 49
DC Doberman

Africa is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS

Why is it the West's responsibility to keep Africa on life-support?
Reply 50
From what I've picked up and worked out... it's all to do with oil. Fixing up the Middle East is worth it. You'll never see an occupation of a African country on the same scale as the occupation of Iraq.

Latest

Trending

Trending