The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

wolverhampton uni

im not the cleverest of lads and have worked very hard to get where i am today! im not one of these AAA grade students more of a C-D grades!

in sept ill be going to wolv uni to study law, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what its like their and what wolv is like as a place?

thankyou!
Reply 1
RISELEY05
im not the cleverest of lads and have worked very hard to get where i am today! im not one of these AAA grade students more of a C-D grades!

in sept ill be going to wolv uni to study law, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what its like their and what wolv is like as a place?

thankyou!

mate, it does not have a great reputation, and with pretty bad alevels your chances of entering the legal profession will be pretty tough(assuming thats what u wanna do)
I live in the midlands and wolverhampton as a place does not carry a good name, everytime the midlands news come on,:-) all murders and robberies seem to be committed in wolverhampton...not even mentioning the dull accent and a pretty poor football club:-), this is just my opinion of the place(please dont take it personally) but as far as uni is concerned u only have to look at the uni rankings, i know that rankings dont reflect everything,but wolverhampton always comes at the end if not the last.. good luck
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
when i went for the open day! they won numerous awards for law etc... so it seemed good!
but from what your saying it seems as though i have made a seriously bad decision and my life is ruined with no job resulting!
Reply 3
Thats rubbish living in wolv is no worse than anywhere else in the Midlands.
It really depends what you want. If you are looking for a career with a top firm you need a top uni. Unless you are absolutely exceptional you won't get a job at one of the top fims but that doesn't mean that you won't get a job at all. WOlverhampton isn't a bad place. Yes theres crime but theres crime all over the midlands and people from wolv uni do get jobs. Even if you didn't get a job in law a law degree stands you in good stead for any career.
My dad retrained and did a degree at wolv uni graduated in 2001 in computing and he got a job straight away. As did his mates who were normal students not mature students. It really depends what you want in life. If you want a job at somewhere the likes of slaughter and May you need to resit your ALevels and go to uni elsewhere but if you just want to do a good degree and have a good uni experience. Theres nothing wrong with wolverhampton. THe uni facilities and halls are pretty good actually and theres nothing wrong with the social life either. If you want any specific advice PM me and I'll try to find out more for you.
Reply 4
viviki you have restored hope, thankyou! all i want to do is fulfill my potential! i guees all uni's have good and bad points some more than others!
Reply 5
Yup course they do. Seriously my dad thinks hes great (he is soo embarrassing believe me) so instead of making friends with all the other oldies his friends were all normal uni starting age. From a group of about 7 although some have changed jobs a few times almost all got some sort of job related to their course almost straight after uni.
The library at wolv is great I've resorted to using it because its not to far away from home on more than one occassion. Halls that I saw in wolv don't look bad at all and I've been in a couple of the buildings and they are all very nice. As I said really depends what you want out of the uni experience.
Reply 6
RISELEY05
when i went for the open day! they won numerous awards for law etc... so it seemed good!
but from what your saying it seems as though i have made a seriously bad decision and my life is ruined with no job resulting!

my apologies. that was only my opinion, please dont rely completely on what i sed..
Reply 7
Wolverhampton is not that bad. A bit small and boring but Birmingham is close. Regarding crime I have been feeling safe and personaly had no problems what soever ( and I am very vurnarable interantional student from boarding school knowing nothing about being street wise :wink: ).
Reply 8
Hey, i live in brum, so i can give you an outlook to the area. Wolverhampton is basically a 20min metro ride to the centre of brum and a 10min train ride, so its very convienient. the Wolverhampton campus is right in the centre of wolves as you probably know and it's got clubs bars and the theatre right next door. (if your at the golloway road campus in walsall, thats different, and theres even the telford campus,so you never know) but wolves itself is pretty good its got a decent shopping centre, and the library at the uni is pretty good. the law sectionranks pretty well aswell. Also a bus ride away is UCE(uni of central england)and they have an amazing law library, so thats also available.

My moms friend teaches at wolves (but in nursing) and she knows quite a few lectureres there and the dean. all respectable people. A law degree from wolves is not a bad thing, and yes although it does not compare with a degree from a russell group univerist ( www.russellgroup.ac.uk ) it is not a red brick uni, and so by modern standards if you can come out with at least a 2.2 pref a 2.1 or first you'll be fine. At the end of day, its about how you use the oppurtunities that you have been given .
Reply 9
thanks for all your help my mind is now at rest
hello there!! i stumbled across this post and am quite hurt at the insults being hulred by certain people about Wolverhampton. I have lived there 18 years and if you dont look for trouble you dont get it. I notice you were going to study Law...well when my sister was doing her GCSES a lad from Wolvo uni (Oliver) was studying Law and was doing a year out in France so he was tutoring her french, his older brother...Matthew was also studying Law...at Oxford (the university of Oxford) and Matthew had to use all of Oli's notes when writing this essay and even sat in a lecture and said that the course at Wolves was much more of a hands on and applied degree and stood you in better stead for becoming a lawyer. So there we are!!Very true story! Also if you are not satying in halls and are looking for a private house my mate has a really nice house in a nice area of Wolverhampton going for cheap, cos i think you'd said in another post you were wary of halls...or hadnt seen them or something!
Reply 11
bratva10
mate, it does not have a great reputation, and with pretty bad alevels your chances of entering the legal profession will be pretty tough(assuming thats what u wanna do)
I live in the midlands and wolverhampton as a place does not carry a good name, everytime the midlands news come on,:-) all murders and robberies seem to be committed in wolverhampton...not even mentioning the dull accent and a pretty poor football club:-), this is just my opinion of the place(please dont take it personally) but as far as uni is concerned u only have to look at the uni rankings, i know that rankings dont reflect everything,but wolverhampton always comes at the end if not the last.. good luck

:mad:
Reply 12
Ugh, all this Wolverhampton bashing!
Some people live here y'know!
Hehe, its not that bad. In 17 years ive certainly never had a problem with crime, talking about wolves like its a jungle :smile:
The towns a bit small though, but as was said above, birminghams big enough for anybody, and not far away.
Reply 13
toipot2
Ugh, all this Wolverhampton bashing!
Some people live here y'know!
Hehe, its not that bad. In 17 years ive certainly never had a problem with crime, talking about wolves like its a jungle :smile:
The towns a bit small though, but as was said above, birminghams big enough for anybody, and not far away.

well said *applauds*
Reply 14
Wolvo is awesome. It's on the gig circuit (any bands that dont play there are 10 mins away in Brum), it has some cool shops and most people that reside there are cool. Im not going to Wolvo uni personally but i can tell you, everytime i drive past it there is something new being built. It has a lot of funding going into it and the accomadation is cheap, yet good. Enjoy
Reply 15
Im hoping to go and study special needs inclusion this sept so if theres any 2008 enrollers then get in touch, im twenty so am a few years the other way but hey!!im from wolverhampton but have lived in london and to be honest it aint all that bad, i mean there are some beeeeuitful places in wolves!!!!! so get in touch if your applying for 2008 and also if your doing special needs inclusion OR deaf studies!
Reply 16
Arghh why does wolves uni and area get slagged off!! and its usually by those not goin!!!! Wolves Uni is good!!!!!!!! I have been a student there since last September and Im lovin every minute!!
Reply 17
katypetal
Arghh why does wolves uni and area get slagged off!! and its usually by those not goin!!!! Wolves Uni is good!!!!!!!! I have been a student there since last September and Im lovin every minute!!

You in Flint House?
Reply 18
Any update from reading law at Wolvs? Did you get a job and qualify as a lawyer?

I read law at Wolvs back in 2006 graduating with 2.1. It didn't give me much but then again I foolishly moved abroad to another EU country. I'm not comfortable saying which but it has a civil law background. I decided to take a master's degree there which is two years. I didn't get much out of my wolves degree here. Law is national and unless you're in the UK you can't really penetrate law firms in other EU countries unless you have Oxford or Cambridge on your certificate but laugh at Wolvs. Well some can't even pronounce it.

Since graduating with a masters 4 years ago I've had some part time work here and there but no legal jobs. Law firms are not interested with someone with my background unfortunately - the top firms are just like in London, and the small firms cant use you as you don't know anything. That's why I've decided started from scratch and take legal courses hoping that I can get at least a legal job and maybe one day have taken all courses to have credits to be awarded bachelors degree in law in that country. You can't become a lawyer without.

If I stayed in the UK maybe something better would have happened. But now it's too late and I'm now too old. If I had the money or family in the UK I would have moved back ages ago. Though I am not going to give up or give in. I'm going to keep trying and maybe one day I will qualify as a lawyer.

Do hope you had a better experience than I. If I had read medicine i think it would not matter, I could have moved anywhere but law is different and it doesn't matter how intelligent you are (and I was) university name matters.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending