The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Natasha_c
Do they not use Alevels?

Not to invite to interview, no. (Assuming you meet the minimum requirements, I would presume.)
Reply 21
resortini
Hi, you don't happen to know of any stats or anything about successes of interviewees in the different colleges at Oxford?

Err.... Well I'm InshAllah applying for PPE at Oxford (still have to choose college, deadline is this Friday/Saturday!) It says that succesfull applicants for PPE are just under 20%, and the course has 200 places, so Im guessing around 1000 people applied and 200 got in?

The statistics should also be there for Medicine:

UCAS Course Code: A100
Brief Course Outline
Duration of course: 3-year Preclinical, followed by 3-year Clinical
Degree awarded: BM BCh (includes an Honours BA)
Average intake: 150
Percentage of successful applications over last three years: 14.5%

Programme Specification

Open days
1 and 2 July and 18 September 2009
Email for further information

Contact details
Administrative Officer (Admissions), Medical Sciences Teaching Centre,
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PL
+44 (0) 1865 285783
Email enquiries
View website

Hope it helps
Reply 22
Hi, I also cannot seem to decide on a college at all, stuck between around 4, which all seem to cater for what I looking for in my college, but I need to choose one for tomorrow. I do not wish to choose the open choice option, as I believe I could end up a college where I don't want to go.
girlfairy28
None...this is the impression I get from their emails and off their website!

So just based on an impression, you feel you can say categorically that Oxford use academics far too much, without actually knowing yourself how much they should be used.

Brilliant.
Reply 24
resortini
Hi, I also cannot seem to decide on a college at all, stuck between around 4, which all seem to cater for what I looking for in my college, but I need to choose one for tomorrow. I do not wish to choose the open choice option, as I believe I could end up a college where I don't want to go.

This is a response i gave to someone else the other day, if it helps:

The college is where tutorials are held (which forms a large proportion of your work if you are an arts student!) and is also where you live and socialize so it will play a big part in your oxford life!

EDIT: It is important to remember, however, that wherever you end up your uni experience is unlikely to be substantially different. You will always meet some really interesting people, always come away with some great experiences and always think your college is the best!

EDIT: Furthermore, you should not base your decision on 'which college gets the least applicants' - the pooling system ensures that if you are good enough you will get in somewhere - about 1/3 of applicants get into a college they did not pick as a result of this reallocation process.

This is a list quoted from a reply i gave the other day. I was sort of exaggerating the number of factors to consider so there is a lot but they are all true. Clearly some are more important than others - that is for you to decide! :

me

Some possible criteria:

- Size of college
- Size of your subject in that college
- Location - city centre? quiet/touristy? Near other facilities important to you?
- Accommodation - 3 years? price? Quality? location? (can be very different to college location)
- Food price/method of payment/quality
- Surroundings - gardens? Can you use the gardens? old/pretty buildings? Good views?
- Subject specific stuff - how you organise tutes/how many will there be/will they have your tutor or will you have to go elsewhere.
- Facilities - games room stuff, sports facilities, JCR quality, gym?
- College funds for sports/travel/anything else. Big variation and worth considering if you plan to play a sport to a high level.
- College bursaries for low-income students
- Any particularly active societies/particularly well catered-for sports teams.
- Activity of the 'entz' teams - people who organise college social events.
- Any weird and wacky traditions they have you might want to get involved in.
- 'atmosphere' - Generally people also attach huge weight to atmosphere based on a few minutes at a college on the open day, although this would hardly be representative of the whole college really.

A few to get you going there .

College sizes, for reference:

Spoiler

The number of places for each subject would depend on the subject and college.

This website is also good for an overview of the colleges - its not much detail but can give an idea of colleges to look into:

This site is awesome for views of colleges - all the little blue pointers are panoramic photographs - you can spin around and everything is so cool! For some colleges here is better.

If you really can't decide the old pick out of the hat does the trick nicely.

best of luck,
nexttime
This is a response i gave to someone else the other day, if it helps:

The college is where tutorials are held (which forms a large proportion of your work if you are an arts student!) and is also where you live and socialize so it will play a big part in your oxford life!

This is a list quoted from a reply i gave the other day. I was sort of exaggerating the number of factors to consider so there is a lot but they are all true. Clearly some are more important than others - that is for you to decide! :

College sizes, for reference:

Spoiler

The number of places for each subject would depend on the subject and college.

This website is also good for an overview of the colleges - its not much detail but can give an idea of colleges to look into:

This site is awesome for views of colleges - all the little blue pointers are panoramic photographs - you can spin around and everything is so cool! For some colleges here is better.

If you really can't decide the old pick out of the hat does the trick nicely.

best of luck,

I'd also add to that that a college choice isn't as important as you might think. No matter where you'll end up, you're bound to end up thinking it's the best! :p:
Reply 26
Which has the highest offers/places:applicants ratio, or if not known, is known to be fairly easier (I know that is a ridiculous word to use when applying to Oxford, but I am sure you will know what I am getting at here) college to get into?
resortini
Which has the highest offers/places:applicants ratio, or if not known, is known to be fairly easier (I know that is a ridiculous word to use when applying to Oxford, but I am sure you will know what I am getting at here) college to get into?

Don't take that into account at all, when information is available the number yo-yo like crazy anyway as people apply to the lowest. And also if you're good enough for Oxford, you will get a place somewhere. There's a lot of different entry routes than the one college you apply to.
Reply 28
Phalanges
I'd also add to that that a college choice isn't as important as you might think. No matter where you'll end up, you're bound to end up thinking it's the best! :p:

Ah for all my efforts thinking about aspects of colleges that are important, i forgot that crucial detail. I shall edit.
Reply 29
Phalanges
Don't take that into account at all, when information is available the number yo-yo like crazy anyway as people apply to the lowest. And also if you're good enough for Oxford, you will get a place somewhere. There's a lot of different entry routes than the one college you apply to.

Okay, thank's for your help, it's just that I heard St Peter's has never been exceedingly popular...
Reply 30
resortini
Okay, thank's for your help, it's just that I heard St Peter's has never been exceedingly popular...

Phalanges is right. I also have made a couple of edits to my post above. Don't apply there just because you are under that impression as it will not help you get in and you will have applied to a college you didn't really want to go to. (unless you do of course - i quite liked st peters).
nexttime
Ah for all my efforts thinking about aspects of colleges that are important, i forgot that crucial detail. I shall edit.

No worries, it was a rather fantastic post anyway. :top2:

Latest

Trending

Trending