The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
xxaimeexx
Method
Loz17

To all users answering questions, do you find it easier for the users who are asking questions to write their questions in bold or not? As I thought it might help you to find them more easily and for users viewing the thread to differentiate between both questions and answers.

Please tell me what you think or how I can improve on anything here.

Thanks and sorry for having to quote you guys!
petzneo

To all users answering questions, do you find it easier for the users who are asking questions to write their questions in bold or not? As I thought it might help you to find them more easily and for users viewing the thread to differentiate between both questions and answers.

Or we could write answers in bold, I think it will be more productive to get 4/5 people to write in bold rather than many others who may not even read the OP.

Maybe thats a thought?
Reply 62
petzneo

Yeah I agree with Loz17. Putting answers in bold (& another colour?.. maybe red :smile:) would be easier cos the poster isn't always going to see the OP.

Btw I think you deserve some rep for all your efforts :smile:
Reply 63
Can a Chemistry degree be used as a backup to the Pharmacy degree at the same uni. I'm only applying to one Uni which does Pharmacy and using Chemistry as a backup.
Z_Ahmed
Can a Chemistry degree be used as a backup to the Pharmacy degree at the same uni. I'm only applying to one Uni which does Pharmacy and using Chemistry as a backup.

What would you prefer to do though? Remember you only get 2 choices in the end (Firm and Insurance Choice)

A large part (I'd say from the course structure at Reading that I was shown at the interview) of a pharmacy degree is Organic chemistry, maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2, maybe more later on, so its is interchangeable if you are not sure what you want to do yet. Also, later on if you do get a place on the chemistry course and not the pharmacy, then you may be able to change (if you retook some A level modules/get VERY high marks on your modules in your 1st year etc)

What uni are you thinking of doing this in?
Reply 65
Loz17
What would you prefer to do though? Remember you only get 2 choices in the end (Firm and Insurance Choice)

A large part (I'd say from the course structure at Reading that I was shown at the interview) of a pharmacy degree is Organic chemistry, maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2, maybe more later on, so its is interchangeable if you are not sure what you want to do yet. Also, later on if you do get a place on the chemistry course and not the pharmacy, then you may be able to change (if you retook some A level modules/get VERY high marks on your modules in your 1st year etc)

What uni are you thinking of doing this in?

Since Im in Glasgow, I'll be applying to Pharmacy at strathclyde alongside Chemistry. As a third option I'll probably apply to Glasgow uni for Chemistry too.
Z_Ahmed
Since Im in Glasgow, I'll be applying to Pharmacy at strathclyde alongside Chemistry. As a third option I'll probably apply to Glasgow uni for Chemistry too.

I've just looked at the Strathclyde website, and they don't detail anything about changing if all fails, but I'm not sure as it is competative. I'd give them a ring and find out :smile:
Reply 67
petzneo

I agree with Loz17 too, it's easier to reply in bold.
Reply 68
Ok, great so thats what we'll do, all answers in bold. The first page will also be changed. Thanks for your help!

Z_Ahmed

To be honest, this is a hard question to answer as not a lot of pharmacy applicants have backups which are not pharmacy. The one thing I suggest you do to make sure that you definitely know if you can apply for the chemistry backup or not, is to send an email or call the admissions tutor for pharmacy.

To do this, you will have to call the pharmacy schoool and ask for the relevant member to speak to, or ask for an email address.

Here is the link with the phone number for the pharmacy school : http://spider.science.strath.ac.uk/sipbs/contact.htm
Reply 69
I've had a sudden desire to do pharmacy at uni. I'm in A2, and I am not doing any science A-levels.
is it still possible to do pharmacy?
Are there any alternatives?
Reply 70
S. &#9786
I've had a sudden desire to do pharmacy at uni. I'm in A2, and I am not doing any science A-levels.
is it still possible to do pharmacy?
Are there any alternatives?

Of course there are some pharmacy schools that do foundation years included in the course, so the degree is 5 years long instead of 4.

You will need to start your p.s. for pharmacy also if possible go to local pharmacy and see if you can do any work experience, even if it is for a day its good for you to know what one career path of pharmacy may be like. If you can't get it, its ok, its not needed.

If you click on the link for the pharmacy guide, there is more help on there as well.

Also the best place is to look on UCAS, search under subject, select pharmacy and there you go.
Reply 71
ahh thanks... really helpful, i emailed bath and they said they will accept my application with a C in english as long as i got a strong PS etc... i think i got a strong PS so... ill give it a go :smile:

thanks again :smile:
Reply 72
ive got a D predicted chemistry
im so close to literally curling up in a ball and crying :frown:
im applying foundation medway pharmacy
need to up chem prediction
gradu

Oh No!

Can you even get it to a C? I got offers with a C prediction!
Reply 74
Hey, I got several questions.

I'm German/Portuguese, finished High School in Canada (very exciting life until now lol :P) and would like to study in Scotland. I've lived there for eight months and REALLY liked it compared to the continent. I'm therefore planning on studying and making my life there.

While I was in Scotland I applied for Vet Med and was refused. Meanwhile I got a placement at a Portuguese University in VetMed. I dislike Portugal SO much that I can't see myself studying there, let alone live there afterwards. After talking to lots of Vets in Germany and Portugal I have decided stay on the Biochemistry/Medicine path and would love to do pharmacy.

So my questions are...

1. Is it necessary to have a "pharmacy in the family" to have a future in Scotland/Britain?
-It's something I've heard of over here.

2. Is it more difficult for EU students to get into pharmacy in the Scottish Universities?

3. Is admittance for pharmacy as competetive as VetMed or Human Medicine?

4. Are Scottish Universities more difficult to get into than the English ones? What's the Interview situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision soon.

HELP!
Reply 75
richardj12
ahh thanks... really helpful, i emailed bath and they said they will accept my application with a C in english as long as i got a strong PS etc... i think i got a strong PS so... ill give it a go :smile:

thanks again :smile:

Your welcome

gradu

LISTEN....you know what you are capable of. Forget about predictions, if you really want to prove them wrong, work hard and get the grades.

If you have to, go through clearing or just reapply. There are always places on clearing.

BUT you have to work, don't give up. You need to go to your teachers and see where you are going wrong, make sure if you have any problems with the lesson to go and ask about it and not leave the lesson not knowing. you are going wrong somewhere, find out where.
I want to know more about pharmacy to write help to write up my PS, is there any advice for it? And as I'm not quite sure about studying pharmacy or not before, I didn't do much preparation for it. I mean I do find myself interested in it, but i think i need more info. to explore the whole of my interest. So is there anything that i can do with it? and i tried the internet, u know like searching on google, but not much coming up...
c_hris_tin_e
I want to know more about pharmacy to write help to write up my PS, is there any advice for it? And as I'm not quite sure about studying pharmacy or not before, I didn't do much preparation for it. I mean I do find myself interested in it, but i think i need more info. to explore the whole of my interest. So is there anything that i can do with it? and i tried the internet, u know like searching on google, but not much coming up...

Pharmacy journal?

New scientist?

Tbh you need 1st hand experience in pharmacy to gain more knowledge.
Reply 78
Hey everyone! Re-posting this lol from another thread I created.

I'm actually an international applicant for pharmacy & I've been set on pharmacy for as long as I can remember I'd be applying for 2010 entry. Yea, late entry but I still have time I think!

BUTBUTBUTBUT,

I got

A*A*A*A*A*A*AABE for CIE IGCSEs (E for Add Maths)

AS Levels were:
A (Biology)
A (Chemistry)
A ( English Literature)
A (History)
A ( Maths)

Dropped History,
Predicted A*A*A* (Bio, Chem, English Lit) A (Maths)

Planning on applying to Kings, LSOP, Bath (top choices), Nottingham and either Queen's Belfast or Manchester.

I've been told three things that might affect my application to university.

1. my E at IGCSE - will these universities REALLY care so much about my IGCSE grades despite getting all A*s, As and a B for the rest of my subjects? =/

2. my homeschooled-ness (errr no idea what you call it)
I was hometaught for my IGCSEs (home taught my whole life actually) - will this make a significant impact? Obviously a lot of my PS was taken up by this but um it really DOES have a lot of benefits to it.. =( and it really helped me, but someone said the unis will just think I'm weird or something. (or was a problematic kid at school --- absolutely NOT TRUE)

2. my lack of work experience
seeing as I was hometaught for my IGCSEs, I didn't know anything about work experience.. then entered an international school in my country for A levels, and they do their work experience in Year 11 (no idea why) so when I entered in Year 12, nobody mentioned it.. until NOW when we've all started our work experiences and EVERYBODY has something except me!!!

It's too late for work experience now, and taking a gap year isn't advised as I'm going to be 19 in January 2010, meaning I'd be 20 for uni if I take a gap year!

The most I can get is 1 or 2 weeks working in a clinic dispensary - ie, the little pharmacy attached to a small clinic near my house :smile: not exactly what you'd call a pharmacy but they do give out drugs and meds and stuff.

So, em, yea.. Will these significantly affect my application? I was really chuffed to have gotten my grades for AS (especially that A in maths... as you can tell, not my thing lol) but now everyone's telling me that I might not get into Pharmacy... =( Especially since I can't go for any interviews as I'm not in the UK!

So should I apply, should I not? ANY advice would be really nice, thanks!!
Hey guys,

Just need a little help atm :s-smilie:, basically i want to study a course at uni that will lead into an area of Health sciences with patient contact.

Obviously medicine comes into mind however i dont think i will get the grades to get into medicine (min AAB but probably need AAA+ to stand a good chance). I believe i could achieve A (biology) A (gegography) and C (chemistry). Also my GCSE where only:
A*AAABBBBBD (A maths, A chem, B english lang) so not really strong enough for medicine.

I am considering Biomedical sciences at some universities in the hope of graduate entry
medicine, however GEM is extreamly competetive.

I would be so happy if there was a course and career path that needed high level of understanding in science and had high levels of patient contact, with the added possibility of doing research in that area of science. Does this sound like pharmacy? :s-smilie:

I would hate to work in Boots behind a counter (just my personal preference) and would prefer to work in a hospital environment. Does any1 know if getting a job in a hospital is difficult after achieving an Mpharm degree and a hospital pharmacists roles (eg. can they prescribe or give injections or do they just regulate and check prescriptions?), job oppertunities and pay (im not shallow i just want a confortable amount of £ to survive!).

Any info would be greatly appriciated again
Dankaaaaa :woo: :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending