The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Thanks for the reply, do you think UEA would offer me a place. I live in Norwich so it would good if they offered me a place?
Reply 141
Ibz52007
Hi guys i am thinking of applying for the Mpharm course. I have spoken to 2 Uni's Kingston/DMU and they have said they would probably offer me a place with A-ICT, C-Chemistry, C-Biology Predicted grades. I also have a C in AS Computing and a D in Physics AS. What other Uni's are also likely to give me an offer? I know the offer will be BBB. But many people after getting their results and getting BBC or BCC have been accepted. I have also thought about applying for only Mpharm and if all goes wrong i will be moved to pharmaceutical science and hopefully get a 60% so i can move to MPharm.

Really need your help guys

If you can get predicted a B in chemistry A2 and get the grade at the end of the year, i would suggest going for Brighton and Portsmouth.

Otherwise, steer clear of Brighton as they are very strict with getting a B in A2 chemistry, and will not accept any less. So what might happen, which I know could happen in Brighton is that they MAY move you to Pharmaceutical and Chemical sciences, and then you'll apply to pharmacy through there...but you have to be committed to do that and its very chemistry based, lots of analytical chem.

Why not try UCLAN? They offer only 300 UCAS points for pharmacy.

Tbh you need to email/ring any of the unis that you like and ask them whether or not you should apply for them or not.

But Loz17 gave a whole loads of unis you can try so... :smile:
Reply 142
Ibz52007
Thanks for the reply, do you think UEA would offer me a place. I live in Norwich so it would good if they offered me a place?

Most places will give you a place with BBC/BCC if they are in clearing and have spaces left, mainly just because pharmacy requires a lot of knowledge!

As the other posts have said, you need to contact UEA to see if they would offer you a place and try your hardest at a-levels. If in August you do better than expected you can go into the adjustment process and go somewhere different!!
Reply 143
I have a C in A level Biology.
I'm predicted B for A level English Literature
I'm predicted A for A level Chemistry
I'm predicted A for AS level Psychology
I'm predicted A for AS level I.C.T.

I'm applying to:

Hertfordshire
Kings
Kingston
Reading
London School of Pharmacy

Any chance of offers?
Hassan169

I'm applying to:

Hertfordshire
Kings
Kingston
Reading

Any chance of offers?

Reading, Kingston and Herts may give you an interview/offer, as you are predicted an B or above in chemistry and one other rigorous subject (however I am unsure if they accept Eng Lit as a rigorous subject, I have looked on the websites of all 3 universities and all of their entry requirements have said grade B chemistry and one other science subject). LSOP and Kings are a little more 'prestigious' and it is difficult to tell. I think thst they would consider you as if you get your predictions, ABCaa is very good. If you want to be certain, give the admissions office for Kings and LSOP a ring and see what they say.

Also, any chance of retaking to get a B in biology? I know it is late and will cost a lot (I am doing some old spec retakes myself, and am finding it difficult to sort etc)

My advice is to ring up the admissions officers at each university and see what they say
Hey, I have predicted grades of ABB (A in chem, B's in phys and maths), a pretty good ps with work experience in a community pharmacy and have applied for Cardiff, Aston, Bath, Reading and UWE (phamaceutical sciences - back-up), do you think i have a chance of getting offers?

Also, do you know if these universities make offers only or do they come with an interview? thanks
jonnyharris21
Hey, I have predicted grades of ABB (A in chem, B's in phys and maths), a pretty good ps with work experience in a community pharmacy and have applied for Cardiff, Aston, Bath, Reading and UWE (phamaceutical sciences - back-up), do you think i have a chance of getting offers?

Also, do you know if these universities make offers only or do they come with an interview? thanks

Quite a good chance for most unis i.e Aston, Reading and UWE. Aston and UWE don't interview (UWE as I doubt they interview for pharmaceutical sciences) and the rest do

Cardiffs typical offer ia AAB/ABB, and Baths typical offer is AAB, so these are the two you may struggle with a little more than the others. I think Cardiff will offer and interview, but I am unsure about bath.

Hope thats helped a little bit. Also, all mentioned offers are subject to information found on the universities website, which I have just researched myself.
Hi I have got an Interview for Pharmacy at Nottingham.

They have gave me a form to fill out to see if I will be attending the interview, the layout is as follows:

Password

PersonalID

Email

Name

Which Personal ID do I use? Is it my UCAS one?

Thanks in advace.
Medic1992

They have gave me a form to fill out to see if I will be attending the interview, the layout is as follows:

Password

PersonalID

Email

Name

Thanks in advace.

As I said in the application thread, I'd think it is. Put it anyway as it is a number that they can reference you too
Reply 149
Medic1992

Password

PersonalID

Email

Name

Thanks in advace.

your UCAS id number
Thanks. I'm abit shocked into Nottingham. Ok I got AAB but I'm applying for Dentistry. Nott pharmacy is my back up choice.
Medic1992
Thanks. I'm abit shocked into Nottingham. Ok I got AAB but I'm applying for Dentistry. Nott pharmacy is my back up choice.

A lot of people this year have applied for pharmacy as a back-up. As far as I know, Notts don't mind people who apply for pharmacy as a back-up, whereas other unis don't like it.

As long as you have the grades (which you do) and have a good interview, and you show that you are interested in pharmacy then they are happy.
Reply 152
Medic1992

Well done. Notts and LSOP seem to be the only ones who give out offers.
Reply 153
I’m really interested in the pharmacy course but I don’t have the grades. Some of the universities told me if I done a HNC in pharmaceutical science and if I meet the GCSE requirements they would accept this qualification.

I’m just wondering how competitive is it to get accepted for the M.Pharmacy course when applying with a HNC?

Is it worth doing the HNC in pharmaceutical science? Anyone any personal experience or advice plx

My A levels (equivalent qualification) grades are not that good there ok. And i will be applying as a mature student
Reply 154
erivinn
I’m really interested in the pharmacy course but I don’t have the grades. Some of the universities told me if I done a HNC in pharmaceutical science and if I meet the GCSE requirements they would accept this qualification.

I’m just wondering how competitive is it to get accepted for the M.Pharmacy course when applying with a HNC?

Is it worth doing the HNC in pharmaceutical science? Anyone any personal experience or advice plx

My A levels (equivalent qualification) grades are not that good there ok. And i will be applying as a mature student

I don't have personal experience but there are quite a few people in my year who have transferred over from pharmaceutical science. If you have an agreement with the university when you start the pharmaceutical course that if you get the grades then you will transfer to pharmacy than that is enough, universities wouldn't go back on an offer!

Just speak to admissions and see what they say about whether it is for definite if you can move over.

I don't think the competitiveness applies because you get a place before UCAS applicants etc but they are obviously not going to accept tonnes of pharmaceutical science transfers so speak ASAP.
Reply 155
Loz17
Reading, Kingston and Herts may give you an interview/offer, as you are predicted an B or above in chemistry and one other rigorous subject (however I am unsure if they accept Eng Lit as a rigorous subject, I have looked on the websites of all 3 universities and all of their entry requirements have said grade B chemistry and one other science subject). LSOP and Kings are a little more 'prestigious' and it is difficult to tell. I think thst they would consider you as if you get your predictions, ABCaa is very good. If you want to be certain, give the admissions office for Kings and LSOP a ring and see what they say.

Also, any chance of retaking to get a B in biology? I know it is late and will cost a lot (I am doing some old spec retakes myself, and am finding it difficult to sort etc)

My advice is to ring up the admissions officers at each university and see what they say

Well Biology was quite frustrating. I ended up with about 380 UMS points which means I'd have to find 40 more to get a B. Now that the spec is being discontinued I'd only have the A2 units available in January which include synoptic stuff. So to have to revise ALL of Biology again and not be guaranteed I'd ace it this time would be too troublesome and would affect the other exams I'm doing in January.

Loz... to be honest I'm worried. Worried to the extent that I'd rather not ring up exam officers and instead just hope for the best. I do have a pretty solid personal statement (I was Head Boy) and reference and I've done work experience. I'm hoping those as well as two A's in my AS's will make them overlook my A level Biology grade.
Reply 156
Hassan169

I'm applying to:

Hertfordshire
Kings
Kingston
Reading

Any chance of offers?

You'll get offers from Herts, Kingston and Reading based on your Grades, as long as your A2 chem results is a minimum of a B.

But kings are strict, they might not give you an offer. I got offered BBB from them when I applied, got BBC..and they said even if I remarked my chemistry to get an A (which I would of got), they still won't let me in :frown: . They want specific grades...but you have that chance of getting an offer due to taking up 2 AS levels. May I ask why you are not retaking your A level Biology thought?

LSOP is unpredictable, if you do get an interview your chances of getting an offer are 70%-80%. You'll have to impress them as your AS ICT is not counted as an academic subjest and they only just about like Psychology.

You shouldn't get your hopes up that 100% you'll get offers from LSOP and Kings..its a risk to take....but with LSOP you might have a greater chance of getting an offer as I know that students that don't get their offer grades in August, e.g. need to get ABB, but get ABC...SOMETIMES get in

Good luck with your exams!
Reply 157
Thanks Petzneo. The reason I'm not bumping up Biology is in my previous post.

At the moment, I just really wanna do Pharmacy and am not too bothered about where I do it. I know Kings and LSOP is a gamble but I'd rather apply there and get rejected then not apply there and wonder if I would've got in. Thanks for your thoughts.
Hassan169
Well Biology was quite frustrating. I ended up with about 380 UMS points which means I'd have to find 40 more to get a B. Now that the spec is being discontinued I'd only have the A2 units available in January which include synoptic stuff. So to have to revise ALL of Biology again and not be guaranteed I'd ace it this time would be too troublesome and would affect the other exams I'm doing in January.

Loz... to be honest I'm worried. Worried to the extent that I'd rather not ring up exam officers and instead just hope for the best. I do have a pretty solid personal statement (I was Head Boy) and reference and I've done work experience. I'm hoping those as well as two A's in my AS's will make them overlook my A level Biology grade.

If you feel like you have done enough, then by all means leave it. But if you want to make sure you get a place at a university for pharmacy, then ring up the admissions tutors. The decision is etirely yours!

Your PS and Reference are very important factors, so if they are as strong as you think they are (being head boy I'm sure that it is) then it will go to your advantage.

I can understand not doing biology retakes, its a pain in the ass and I started self teaching mine again in september and its still difficult to get the B overall. Especially this late on and it affecting other janurary exams.

Good luck with your application. Any other questions do not hesitate to post here :smile:

P.S, sorry for the late reply!
Reply 159
Hi. I really want to study MPharmacy at uni and for AS i got an A for maths, A for fine Art, B for sociology, B for chemistry and C for biology. I am also retaking 2 modules, one for bio and the other chemistry unit 1. During my ASs i took up voluntary work in a hospital, completed a youth work course and took up spanish for beginners NVQ. I also work part time and i think my personal statement is good as i mentioned alot of my previous work experiences. However, im a little scared that my 4 lines of acedemic work might not be as sufficient, even though i think i have summarised that section well.

For my choices i have put down Kings, Brighton, Medway and Kent biomed as a backup. I have a dilemma on choosing another uni for pharmacy, although i am quite keen on east angia and keele but want to stay in London. Do you think i have a chance and what uni should i opt for as another choice?

Latest

Trending

Trending