The Student Room Group

'Poetic' autism film divides campaigners

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17878-poetic-autism-film-divides-campaigners.html and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU2paLv1MGE

I Am Autism: transcript of video

I am autism.

I'm visible in your children, but if I can help it, I am invisible to you until it's too late.

I know where you live, and guess what? I live there too. I hover around all of you.

I know no colour barrier, no religion, no morality, no currency. I speak your language fluently, and with every voice I take away, I acquire yet another language.

I work very quickly. I work faster than paediatric AIDS, cancer and diabetes combined.

And if you are happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain.

I don't sleep, so I make sure you don't either. I will make it virtually impossible for your family to easily attend a temple, a birthday party, a public park, without a struggle, without embarrassment, without pain.

You have no cure for me. Your scientists don't have the resources, and I relish their desperation.

Your neighbours are happier to pretend that I don't exist, of course, until it's their child. I am autism.

I have no interest in right or wrong. I derive great pleasure out of your loneliness. I will fight to take away your hope. I will plot to rob you of your children and your dreams.

I will make sure that every day you wake up, you will cry, wondering, "Who will take care of my child after I die?" And the truth is, I am still winning, and you are scared, and you should be.

WTF:mad:
Reply 1
I like it. It'll make people pay attention, that's for sure. Although not all autism sufferers are that 'bad' (it is a spectrum after all), so maybe there's a bit of exaggeration going on.

(n.b. I didn't read the links, so sorry if nothing I've said makes sense)
Well the person who wrote that is quite clearly not autistic.
I uh, don't quite understand what it's trying to achieve?! It's just a bit weird really. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending