The Student Room Group
Reply 1
adie_raz
prove the following is valid:

Unparseable latex formula:

a+ar+ar^2+...+ar^n^-^1 = a(\frac{1-r^n}{1-r})

ok so basically don't know at all where to start with this question never mind finish it...any pointers??

Let S=
Unparseable latex formula:

a+ar+ar^2+...+ar^n^-^1

multiply both sides by r
and find S .r

Spoiler

subtract S-Sr
Reply 2
If you multiply the whole expression by rr then you get rS=ar+ar2++arnrS = ar + ar^2 + \cdots + ar^n. Notice that if you do SrSS - rS all of the terms cancel except aa and arnar^n, leaving you with SrS=aarnS - rS = a - ar^n, so it's just a case of taking out common factors and dividing through.
Reply 3
adie_raz
seriously have no clue how this helps at all :frown: i am sorry, really bad at this :confused:

Have you done what I have asked ?

Spoiler

Spoiler

when you get to S-Sr, take the S out S(1-r)
Reply 4
I've just noticed that what me and rbnphlp said has nothing to do with induction :p:

What you need to do is to show that it's true for n=1 (i.e. a=a(1r11r)a = a \left( \dfrac{1-r^1}{1-r} \right), which is true). Assume that it's true for n=k, i.e. a+ar++ark1=a(1rk1r)a + ar + \cdots + ar^{k-1} = a \left( \dfrac{1-r^k}{1-r} \right), and show that this implies that it's true for n=k+1 (try adding arkar^k to both sides of the equation).
Reply 5
nuodai
I've just noticed that what me and rbnphlp said has nothing to do with induction :p:

What you need to do is to show that it's true for n=1 (i.e. a=a(1r11r)a = a \left( \dfrac{1-r^1}{1-r} \right), which is true). Assume that it's true for n=k, i.e. a+ar++ark1=a(1rk1r)a + ar + \cdots + ar^{k-1} = a \left( \dfrac{1-r^k}{1-r} \right), and show that this implies that it's true for n=k+1 (try adding arkar^k to both sides of the equation).

:facepalm:
Reply 6
nuodai

this is what i was after thank you :P: i will give it a go and see how it goes, but dont count on the fact that i won't ask any more questions :o:
Reply 7
got it now thanks for the help guys :top:

Latest