The Student Room Group

Topic Question for Brave New World?

I know that there's an official PS thread already but I have a really urgent problem and it seems to have died a bit... :p:

Anyway, I'm basically wondering if anybody knows a good, simple, essay question that I can do for BNW. Right now, I'm stuck with the recommendation of: "How does Huxley use metaphors and imagery in BNW?" by my teacher and I haven't a clue how to start it. If anyone thinks this is a nice question to use, however, I'm definitely open to suggestions on where to begin.

The main reason it's urgent is because we're doing a write up draft in class tomorrow and I don't know what I'd write about. The one thing I can say though, is that I know the text pretty well so as long as the question isn't too complex, I should be able to get a plan done quickly.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
You could perhaps make it a bit more specific by making it "How does Huxley use metaphors and imagery in Brave New World to promote <theme>/develop the plot & characters" etc.
Reply 2
LuhLah's suggestion is a better starting point.

"How does Huxley use metaphors and imagery in BNW?" is far too broad -- and in any case, even though the question asks "how?", what you are really supposed to answer is why. Why does Huxley use this specific metaphor? What is the purpose? What is he trying to convey, what is his message?
Reply 3
Completely off on a tangent, but I just wrote an essay on the constrast between the world of the savage and the brave new world and the bias portrayed by the writer which varies as the plot develops. Maybe something along those lines would be easier? I never like essays that fcus on a specific technique.
How does the author create a world where ________

______ = insert something, theme or something

to be honest my PS question was very specific, it lets you focus better :smile:
Reply 5
Okay, I'm just going to talk about the symbolism of the drug in the first paragraph(after the intro), the animal imagery used for the second, and for the third I was going to mention some of the smaller metaphors and things. Is that enough?
Reply 6
Enzo-259
Okay, I'm just going to talk about the symbolism of the drug in the first paragraph(after the intro), the animal imagery used for the second, and for the third I was going to mention some of the smaller metaphors and things. Is that enough?

That should be fine :smile:
Reply 7
Wow, my study on BNW was much simpler. My teacher just told me to write about the social differences between now and the time in the book. Looking at some of the things people on here write on I'm beginning to wonder if that topic really deserved a pass :-/
Reply 8
JacksterD
Wow, my study on BNW was much simpler. My teacher just told me to write about the social differences between now and the time in the book. Looking at some of the things people on here write on I'm beginning to wonder if that topic really deserved a pass :-/

My Int 2 Personal Study was a joke. I did something on the allegory used in Animal Farm. It ended up being a 2 page history essay. :p:

EDIT: AGH!!!! I'm just sitting up reinforcing my plan. We have the thing during the double period tomorrow. Damn, I'll be miffed if I fail it. Especially since the parent's evening is next Wednesday. :eek3:
Reply 9
Woohoo! I passed it really well apparently! Thanks for all the help!
Nice one. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending