The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
That's because being left-wing lets you take the moral high ground. But to answer the last question, if, for example, you have an above average IQ then yes you are superior to the average person.
Reply 41
lol i know what you mean

say something to them like "you read one ****** wikipedia article then believe youre personally ushering in the 2nd enlightenment???"
Mattos_12
I accept that its not just the left. It just so happens that I find Marxism inherently arrogant (revealed preferences and all). But also most of the people who I've met who argue that the working classes need their guidance , tend to be on the left.

Perhaps I just don't know enough Conservatives, but even my BNP buddies would have more respect than that!

When Marx wrote his books, we lived in a society where the rich really did consider themselves much better than the poor. In the 50s and 60s we were very much a class society. Even Attlee, by far the most radical reformer of his time, was into social divisions - he was quite concerned about his wife not having the employees at home that were needed by and befitted someone of his and her class.

The fact that you are making this topic illustrates how unbelievably far we have come in a very short space of time - I think we can forgive a little paternalism. Although most on the left are concerned with equality of opportunity rather than guidance.
sorafdfs
That's because being left-wing lets you take the moral high ground. But to answer the last question, if, for example, you have an above average IQ then yes you are superior to the average person.

O RLY?

Interesting, tell you what i'm going to determine superiority by using another specific measurement.

If you have above average shoe size then you are superior to the average person.
Reply 44
Rizzletastic
O RLY?

Interesting, tell you what i'm going to determine superiority by using another specific measurement.

If you have above average shoe size then you are superior to the average person.

:confused:

I meant superior in terms of intelligence not in terms of your worth as a human being.
Reply 45
I ******* hate students!
Mattos_12
You only have to read through a few threads to realise how amazingly arrogant students can be.

I have to say I agree. I think the arrogance generally comes from those who have extremely high intelligence levels yet little or no real social skills. They are on the internet so can happily look down on others without repercussions.
sorafdfs
:confused:

I meant superior in terms of intelligence not in terms of your worth as a human being.

You might want to have mentioned that then. It looked like superiority as a whole.

Not that IQ is a good indicator of intelligence anyway...
Yeah but, I really am elite, I really am better than you or most people, so I don't even see the point in this thread when it's true- arrogant or not!
Reply 49
Everone is a bit of an egomaniac, I suppose.
Reply 50
Mattos_12
You only have to read through a few threats to realise how amazingly arrogant students can be. Read through the media influence thread and you’ll see posters basically saying: ‘maybe stupid people are influence by the media, but as a member of the intelligent elite I’d never be so easily led’. This is just to give one example, but does this ridiculous arrogant not make anyone else cringe to read?

I find it most prevalent in left wingers, who want to ‘help’ the working classes understand their lives, or liberate them in some way. One might assume its mainly children who have these kind of views, but it seems to hold until later life in at least a few people.

I really wonder who these people are, and how they think there so special to judge other people’s lives. Particularly when these people who are judged are often decent, hard working folk.

Do you people in general find yourself superior to the average person?

If you're making that accusation then, by your reasoning, you're the most arrogant.
I think those on TSR are arrogant simply because the average TSR student will be waay above the national average....as a result, most of us are arrogant tw*ts who will never concede a point, even if it is blatantly wrong....I think arrogance is a good thing, but not too much
Drunk Punx
I hold the opinion that "God" doesn't exist, and therefore I am an Atheist.
I hold the opinion that I think I need a shower... and a smoke and some breakfast. :p:
I also hold the opinion that such and such band are *****.

How are ANY of those short sighted?!?

These are just whimsical fancies - I was referring to political ideology and social theory.
Left-wingers are arrogant by nature. Their ideas are utterly deluded.
screenager2004
Social issues are so infinitely complex that you have to be extremely short-sighted to hold any definitive opinion on anything!

Well said.
Reply 55
I worry that thinking IQ makes your better, or even useful is setting yourself up for a fall.

sorafdfs
Mattos_12
I accept that its not just the left. It just so happens that I find Marxism inherently arrogant (revealed preferences and all). But also most of the people who I've met who argue that the working classes need their guidance , tend to be on the left.

Perhaps I just don't know enough Conservatives, but even my BNP buddies would have more respect than that!
To say left wingers, OP does not infer Marxism as such. :judge:
And can you actually tell me what is arrogant with Marxism, because as far as I am aware; conservatism works on the idea of human imperfection and arrogance. Helping people does not appear to be an arrogant thing.
Reply 57
I like Marx, I'm a great fan of any system, have a weakness for them, so hist mat makes me happy. Although it really is just plagerised from Hegel :-)

My real problem with Marxism is that sometimes it seems to suggest that poor little workers can't make choices for themselves and need enlightened marxists to show them the light.

I like equal opportunities, but I believe in the freedom to fail.

jacketpotato
When Marx wrote his books, we lived in a society where the rich really did consider themselves much better than the poor. In the 50s and 60s we were very much a class society. Even Attlee, by far the most radical reformer of his time, was into social divisions - he was quite concerned about his wife not having the employees at home that were needed by and befitted someone of his and her class.

The fact that you are making this topic illustrates how unbelievably far we have come in a very short space of time - I think we can forgive a little paternalism. Although most on the left are concerned with equality of opportunity rather than guidance.
I used to think a university was a university until I started reading this website, now I feel like if I don't get into/choose certain places then it'll be held against me for the rest of my life. :rolleyes: I try to forget these comments when making my choices, but it's still a niggling thought at the back of my mind. I'm determined to choose it myself however, not The Times or TSR.

But I agree, there are so many pricks on this website :awesome:
Private school students aren't arrogant.
We're just genuinely better than you.

Latest

Trending

Trending