Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 olympics - who is going to host it?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Who is going to host the 2016 olympics?
    chicago
    36.49%
    tokyo
    16.22%
    madrid
    10.81%
    Rio de Janeiro
    36.49%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering who everyone thought was going to win the bid?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We're still in Obama-mania, so Chicago. No other reason why it should though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aww, bless Obama! he wasn't going to Copenhagen this week to finish the campaign, but then everyone else was so he upped and left, dragging his wife and Oprah Winfrey in his wake So cute

Although if it was in Tokyo it would be amazing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chicago probably, it's close though
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    It won't be in Madrid or Tokyo, Olympics will have been in those areas [Europe and East Asia] too recently to be potential candidates. Of the other two, I'd have to go for Chicago for safety, transport and hospitality reasons.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Won't be Madrid or Tokyo for the reasons stated above, and it probably won't be Rio, as half the athletes would end up either dead or kidnapped.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a wild guess and saying Chicago.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be Chicago, probably.

I'd like it to be Tokyo! :woo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wont be madrid or tokyo because (as others have said) it has been in those areas of the world recently

the us did have the olympics fairly recently when they were held in atlanta in 1996, so i think it would be really great to have the olympics in rio. it would show a bit of faith in the growing status of brazil and according to wiki, neither the summer or winter olympics have ever been held in south america
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rio de Janeiro!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love it if it was Madrid, but i have a feeling it's going to be Chicago for the reasons stated above ... shame
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I hope it's in Rio - beautiful city and I think it could use the urban regeneration more than the others.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think USA should be allowed another go just 20 years on from Atalanta. South America has never hosted, so Rio ftw.

I loved it yesterday when Pelé, attempted to win points over Chicago by referring to the fact that Michael Jackson, who is the city’s most recognised person, was absent from their delegation. Obviously he meant Michael Jordan, schoolboy error

Edit: I just realised i spelt Atlanta in the way of the italian football side Atalanta. I do apologise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The USA has had 2 of the last 8 though (including the England 2012 ones) so to have 3 out of 9 would be a little unfair.

Spain had it in 1992 though, but as far as an all round success goes, that's been documented as one of the best ever.

South America has never hosted the Olympics though, so that would be fairest. It'll go to the US though, no doubt. Where there's more money, there's a way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My prediction is Chicago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see the olympics in chicago, a brilliant venue, i'd love to travel there to watch them, although i have nothing against the other cities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about birmingham!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wow chicago is out!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is now between Madrid and Rio de Janeiro ...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 11, 2009
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.