The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

5GB Limit

(a little more seriously this time...) How easy is it to reach this limit? I've got no idea what 5GB worth of internet looks like :s I won't be downloading any movies or music or anything off the internet, but might watch the odd program off iplayer from time to time. Should I be worried about reaching this limit or will it probably be fine?
Reply 1
I believe a 30min program on iplayer is about 150mb. An average page is about 1-20kb. Can work it out from that.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Moderate use and you'll be fine - no worries!
Reply 3
I managed to get banned 3 times but that was because I was stupid with torrents. Unless you go out of your way to download something big then you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Thanks!
Reply 5
Be careful if downloading large pieces of software (not necessarily illegally!). We had to download a free circuit design program, and it was about 2GB... some can be fairly large.
Reply 6
How can you find out how much you've used?
Reply 7
no, 30 minutes of i player is more like 250-300 MB and if u do HD up to 600mb. but if thats all u do you will be fine i guess. stupid rule though.
Reply 8
5GB limit for how long? A week? Month?
Reply 9
Strangey
5GB limit for how long? A week? Month?

Day.
Reply 10
A day!!!!! Bloody hell, you won't go over that!
Reply 11
Strangey
A day!!!!! Bloody hell, you won't go over that!

As said - I did. Three times. It's so easy with a constant 10MBps connection.
Reply 12
Pulkpull
As said - I did. Three times. It's so easy with a constant 10MBps connection.

Constant 10MBps connection yea? That's siiiik blad.

Lol, sorry... honestly that is twice as much as I get at home and I can see why you went over the limit 3 times.
Out of interest, what were the consequences when you went over the limit?
Reply 13
Google bandwidth monitors and thats what you need.
I used to use DU meter but you only get a 30 day trial with that.
It used to warn me when i was near the preset limit so then i stopped using the net until the next month.
Reply 14
The full version of DU meter is great, it can alert you/turn off the computer when you've gone over any limit in any set amount of time. It's the only way I'll avoid going over 5GB, I managed 45GB in a day once.
If you aren't going to be torrenting, then you don't have anything to worry about. 5GB is a ton.

Do they monitor what you transfer? So, if I were to torrent movies/music (purely hypothetical... :tongue:), would they do anything about it, as long as I was under the 5GB limit, or do they just look the other way and not care?
Reply 16
Pulkpull
Day.

24 hours, i.e. it doesn't reset at midnight or anything like that. It's pretty easy to limit you download even with torrenting.

If you go over you get a 48 hour ban I think it was, then a week after 3 times then disconnection after 5. I broke the limit 3 times, torrented loads and got a ton of music and movies last year and nothing happened except the bans.
Don't torrent you selfish freetard turds.

Torrenting drags down network performance for the rest of us and can cost you your place at the college if you are caught downloading illegal material.

The college don't protect you if a company makes any claim against them for pirating. They give up your name for punishment outside of college, and you are forwarded for disciplinary action within college. Disciplinary action that you will have a hard time justifying your way through given the user policy you agree to.

Of course, people will do it anyway - and get away with it. Up to you if you think the risk weighs up to the benefit.

Latest

Trending

Trending