The Student Room Group

UK will have to import half its gas in winter

National Grid, the operator of the country's gas and electricity network, says UK production from the North Sea will be 6% lower this year than in 2008-2009.

That will leave Britain having to import 50% of its gas supplies from countries such as Norway, Trinidad and Qatar.
The UK imported just 27% of its gas as recently as 2007.

British Gas owner Centrica says the country's gas fields, many of which were first tapped in the 1970s, are no longer able to keep up with demand.
The company predicts that on current trends Britain will have to import 75% of its gas by 2015.

Source here.

What does everyone think?

Me thinks reopen the coal mines, but I'm sure superdave has a better plan.
Reply 1
simple buy the gas from russia.
It saddens me that we have not addressed the issue much sooner as a nation. This was seen coming over 10 years ago yet the gov. has failed to act.
Even though I consider myself left wing and will vote green at the next elcetion, and was a former member of CND the case for nuclear is to strong at present. we need a mixture of renewables and nuclear to be put on course now, to avoid returning to dirty coal,
Invest in greener alternatives.

Invest in clean-coal power stations.

...provided one has the money of course

And does the UK?

No. :frown:

Maybe Nuclear? Shame about all that nuclear waste though.
We can't feasibly obtain all or even most of our energy from the coal fields. We do not have unlimited supplies of accessible coal. I can't see any way around it really, hence why it is so important to look at green energy and energy use reduction.

Latest

Trending

Trending