The Student Room Group

I am so unhappy with the A Levels I'm doing!

I'm doing Biology, Sociology and Chemistry and I also have an AS in History (Grade C).

For a while I was interested in going into Biology/Zoology but then I only got a C in AS Biology and I was really dissapointed. I know I could easily get it up to a B, but at the moment I'm really not enjoying it at all!
I got a B in AS Chemistry (10 marks off an A) so carried it onto A2 but I'm really hating that too, I find it so hard and unenjoyable :frown:
The only subject I like that I'm doing is Sociology which I got an A in. I find it really interesting and enjoy it! I'm starting to think about doing this in Uni now.

At the moment I am really starting to hate Biology. The lessons are rubbish and I'm not enjoying the subject. I would need 3 Bs to do Sociology in Uni (that's the highest out of my choices) and know I could get 3 Bs with the subjects I'm doing.. but I hate Biology!

I am seriously thinking of going back to History and dropping Biology! I got a C at AS and yeah I did struggle with the lessons last year, but I think that's cause I had four subjects to revise for and didn't revise much at all for History. I was thinking if I dropped Biology for History I would have January to re-sit the exams to try and get a B and wouldn't have an A2 history exam until the summer then.

I know my mum and dad would hate it if I swapped though! And I don't know if I'd regret it, I always wanted to do Science for a career but now I don't. History would be a more useful A Level to do Social Sciences. I'm stuck for what to do! And I need to decide fast... :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I would carry on with Chemistry cause I got a B so got more chance of getting a B at A Level.
Reply 2
Don't even think about carrying on down the current road just because "I've made it this far"- better to take the plunge than to meander along unhappily.
Anyone in your school doing History you can talk to (in your year/a teacher, though a teacher may be slightly bias) so that you could find out about the course/how interesting it is/etc.?
Why would your parents dislike you switching? Maybe talk to them and explain you don't want to do science anymore and they might understand?
You got the same results at AS for History and Biology though. Which did you enjoy last year more? It might just be a certain topic in Biology, not the entire course. Maybe read ahead through your textbook/syllabus to see if there's anything you like the look of that you haven't studied yet?
It's honestly down to what you feel is right though. What subject can you see yourself taking at university?
Reply 4
BabyGirl92
I would carry on with Chemistry cause I got a B so got more chance of getting a B at A Level.

discuss with your parents about your future, because if you do not enjoy a subject then don't continue. I chose history at AS, and swapped teaches and classes the second week because of a block system and changing another subject and I really did not enjoy it and I did not continue with this subject.
yeah, for a science degree you would need two science subjects, however, i'm not sure about social sciences. :smile:
Reply 5
also, maybe talk to your sociology teacher and say that you would like to study it a UNI and discuss the situation, you might wanna do this with the Biology teacher.
Me too. I just started mine and am so regretting taking History instead of Physics. I let myself get talked out of it and let my nerves about the exams get the best of me. Lesson learnt.
Reply 7
Argh I have to make a decision by tomorrow.

I need ABB for the highest course I want to do in Uni (Sociology and Business or Sociology and Politics), (but I probably won't end up doing that one, so BBB is the highest for Sociology) and 260 points is the lowest.

So aiming for BBB really for offers and possibly hoping to keep my A in Sociology.

I'd need to work very hard to get an A in Sociology and quite hard to get a B in Chemistry.

I know I could get a B in Biology at AS by resitting and probably at A2 if I carried on with it but I am NOT enjoying it.

And I also know that with resits I could get a B in my History AS and probably at A2, and if I don't then I'll have an insurance which will probably be one of the 260 points ones.

My mum DOES NOT want me to swap Biology for History so that is kind of putting me off. And the other thing is that what if I dont like it History as much as I thought. I won't be able to go back to Biology!
stick with sociology, chem and biology and apply somewhere to do sociology with ur ABC grades which is like BBB?
Reply 9
I've changed now, well nearly. Had a word with the History teacher and Im supposed to be in the lesson today but I'm ill. I haven't had it changed on the timetable yet though. Suppose that is what I should be doing today.
At enrolement to AS Levels i was pressured into doing Math (grade B at GCSE) instead of ICT (A* at GCSE), did one week of Math and had to get out! Im now doing ICT instead and really enjoying it. To be fair ICT is seen as a softer subject (hence the pressure to do Math) but surely its better to look at a good ICT A-Level grade than a woefull Maths one. Im just doing what i enjoyed at GCSE and went by "if you like the subject the chances are you're going to do well in it."
Reply 11
I wasnt forced into doing any of my subjects at AS, originally my choice was Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English!!
But after my Chemistry teacher telling me how hard Chemistry was I decided to drop Maths and do Sociology for an easier option (and it paid off cause I got an A which I wouldn't have got in Maths!) and after about 4-5 weeks I realised I wasn't enjoying English at all so I changed to History (which I'd been wanting to do since the start, but I didn't want to do 5 AS Levels). I kindof regret dropping English but I was struggling cause I had about 3 English Lit GCSE Lessons so didnt understand what I was doing!

I think I've done the right thing now though :smile: I really enjoy History so I think I can do well in it, its coursework whichis 40% of A2 and I've got until June to catch up on the exam stuff :smile:

Latest