The Student Room Group

AS OCR Religious Studies???

Hi

I always wanted to study Religious Studies but never got the chance to at GCSE. I have spoken to the RS teacher and at first she said it was a bit too late to pick it up now but then she said i can if i wanted to so i want some advice and opinions about the course from students that have studied the OCR specifcation and the 2 units in AS are Religious Ethics and unit 2- Islam- 2 exams and no coursework

I have C in English and can you please tell me the skills that are needed to gain top grades and a bit about the exams and what you need to be good at to succed in this subject. I also want to hear what you got if you have done this subject at AS. Please help
:smile:
Reply 1
Hi

I always wanted to study Religious Studies but never got the chance to at GCSE. I have spoken to the RS teacher and at first she said it was a bit too late to pick it up now but then she said i can if i wanted to so i want some advice and opinions about the course from students that have studied the OCR specifcation and the 2 units in AS are Religious Ethics and unit 2- Islam- 2 exams and no coursework

I have C in English and can you please tell me the skills that are needed to gain top grades and a bit about the exams and what you need to be good at to succed in this subject. I also want to hear what you got if you have done this subject at AS. Please help

I am currently in Year 13 and I am taking the OCR Religious Studies course to A2.
From my experience, there is no reason why you can't pick up Religious Studies as A Level. I have someone in my class who hadn't done RS since Year 8 and took it up at A Level and has come out with a really good A grade at AS. However, there is a lot of learning but if you do wider reading and keep on top of the work as you go along there should be no problem.
What kind of grade you are looking at achieving? If you let me know, I can give you some better advice :smile:
x
I am currently studying Theology at University. Obviously, essay writing skills are important. With many of the ethical issues raised, there are no right answers, but the ability to construct and defend an argument is very important. Look at the specification on the OCR web site. Try practising exam papers under timed conditions. GCSE RS is not required for A-level study.
I do OCR A2 religious studies (Now in Y13), and do Philosophy and Ethics units. Obviously I can't make any comments on the Islam unit as I do Philosophy instead. I don't see why you couldn't do the Ethics.

Essay writing is very important for RS.
Reply 4
chardey76
I am currently in Year 13 and I am taking the OCR Religious Studies course to A2.
From my experience, there is no reason why you can't pick up Religious Studies as A Level. I have someone in my class who hadn't done RS since Year 8 and took it up at A Level and has come out with a really good A grade at AS. However, there is a lot of learning but if you do wider reading and keep on top of the work as you go along there should be no problem.
What kind of grade you are looking at achieving? If you let me know, I can give you some better advice :smile:
x

I am looking to achieve around A-C, i would say B or an A to be more precise