The Student Room Group
Eeyore
I had a three hour exam this morning and now the tip of my finger has gone numb, I think it's because of the way I hold my pen (I'm left handed so I probably hold it weirdly). Anyone had this or got any tips to make the numbness go away?!

lol i write funny too and am lefthanded.....bite on it that usually takes away the numbness lol! xoxo
Reply 2
Eeyore
I had a three hour exam this morning and now the tip of my finger has gone numb, I think it's because of the way I hold my pen (I'm left handed so I probably hold it weirdly). Anyone had this or got any tips to make the numbness go away?!

I had a 3 hour exam too and my hand/finger didn't hurt at all today and it usually does which probably means I didn't write enough :eek: *panics*

Btw try ice. :redface:
Reply 3
I am not left handed but hold my instrument in a unusual way, leaving dents when I have been writing for a while. I would suggest keeping your fingers moving, just little exercises during long periods of writing to get the circulation flowing, especially to the tips as you are writing so much. =0)
Eeyore

I'm left handed. Its odd, on Friday my whole hand went numb yet in todays even longer exam I didn't really have any problems. I do often suffer as I hold pen in a weird way and it causes all sorts of problems with my hand. No tips I'm afraid. It just went away eventually..
Reply 5
mxox
I had a 3 hour exam too and my hand/finger didn't hurt at all today and it usually does which probably means I didn't write enough :eek: *panics*

Btw try ice. :redface:

Was it English lit LTA6? :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice everyone! :smile:
Reply 6
Eeyore
Was it English lit LTA6? :biggrin:

:frown: It was bloody awful. Well at least q(b) was. And so much of my wider reading went to waste! Woe is me :frown:
Reply 7
Yes like someone said, try little finger excercises! :smile:
Reply 8
mxox
:frown: It was bloody awful. Well at least q(b) was. And so much of my wider reading went to waste! Woe is me :frown:

I'm just glad it's over and I can put my war literature books on the shelves and never have to think about them again!
Finger exercises, especially when they go numb can be very useful & have a lot in common with singers'/speakers' jaw warm-ups.

1) Stretch every bit of your hands as far as they will go - big star shapes, but no twinkling (nor singing) yet!

Hold for at least 5 seconds.

2) Clench everything as tight as they will go, dig nails in if you have to.

Hold for another 5.

3) Repeat one and two.

4) Start twinkling your hands between the two extremes and sing out loud in your English /LangLit (it has to be English Lang/Lit) exams:
Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.
Loftily poised in the aether capacious
Vaguely resembling a gem carbonaceous.
Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific.

5) Await applause ... oh no, that's the sound of all the invigilators stampeding your way...
Reply 10
The tip of my finger went numb from carrying shopping once. It lasted a few days, but stopped feeling numb eventually

Latest

Trending

Trending