The Student Room Group

Successful reward systems in your school?

At present, we have a "points" system in our school. Good work and good behaviour can earn points for your house, which are one of the factors determine which house wins the "house of the year award. Individuals also get certificates for achieving certain numbers of points throughout the year.

However, a major flaw in the system is that after year 7 or 8, very few people still care about being given points "because they don't mean anything", resulting in very few teachers awarding them to the older pupils in the school.

My friend and I have been asked to work with some younger pupils to try and come up with a system that works. However, so far we have had little success because the younger pupils are still at the age where they are eager to collect points and cannot understand why members of the upper school are somewhat less enthusiastic.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who knows of a reward scheme that works could give me some ideas because we are making very little progress at the moment. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
At my school we have a 'possie system' where your teachers award you for hard work, effort or doing extra things around the school. You get a certificate bronze, silver, gold and supergold...if you reach the gold levels you get a £5 gift voucher.
We have pretty much the same system in our school (we call them Good Comments, and there are bad comments as well and collecting 3 of them means a detention but doesn't affect your house's points) with pretty much the same problem. Kids in year 4-6 get GCs for saying "please" and "thank you", and it gets more difficult to get them as you get older, so much that above year 11 they are virtually unheard of. If a teacher wants to reward you, they just give you an A.

This year my school introduced a new idea to make older students more eager to get GCs. The class which has the highest number of Gcs minus the number of BCs gets a class trip funded by the school, which is a good idea but the effect is not as big as the teachers would like. Maybe if you could find a way of giving something (which they will actually want) to the older students for points? Introducing a completely different system might be the way to go, though.

Don't worry about the small kids, when/if a new system is introduced they will be just as eager to participate in it as they are now.
Introduce a rep system :awesome:
Or do the opposite. :awesome:

E.g. get 50 points or whatever for every half term minimum. Get less - you get "detention week", where on the last week before every half term, you attend a 1-hour detention every day for that week or something.

That should do it...
im so academic
Or do the opposite. :awesome:

E.g. get 50 points or whatever for every half term minimum. Get less - you get "detention week", where on the last week before every half term, you attend a 1-hour detention every day for that week or something.

That should do it...

yes that sounds better

i dont think u can combat the old students not caring, unless you offer bribes

perhaps link the 2

you start with 50 points and if you stay over 45 end of term etc then you get some prize
Reply 6
our school dosent believe in awarding pupils. They just through everyone in detention. serious
dunno if this is of any use

in our odl school when we got detentions they were given out by the teacher - but then they decided to do whole school detentions, basically the teacher dobbed you in to a central system and you did your detention in the school hall

with a certalised system ti was much harder to get out and teachers didnt forget you had a detention etc and it was usually done in the hall with a high up teacher to less messing about

and they were usually quite long - min 60mins
Give the kids "awesome points". Although they will be meaningless, the kids will value them.
simple answer is there are none, i remember when iw as in year 11 i just wouldn't have cared. they cant offer money so no one cares about vouchers.
Reply 10
My school has one: reward the chavs with theme park trips when they show up at school. And spend more time on trying to get them to get at least 1 C than trying to get A* candidates to get their A*s.
My old school had a system of money merits, for years 10 and 11, and at the end of each term held auctions. The problem was that as teachers had a large degree of freedom in who and for what they were given out for, it meant that shall we say ill disciplined students would get them just for turning up, meaning other teachers thinking this unfair would give more and more to better students, leading to spiralling inflation, which meant that on one occasion I remember in said auction, bidding in excess of 200 for a £5 set of Christmas lights, if I remember rightly a box of mars bars went for in excess of 300.
My old school had a system of merits and demerits, the only reward for merits being a series of badges. No cash or anything :rolleyes:
Maybe that's because YOU never get rewarded because you don't listen in English class and cannot spell "throw".

Original post by chelski786
our school dosent believe in awarding pupils. They just through everyone in detention. serious
Reply 14
At our school we have a thing called vivomiles. Search it up. If you do something well you get lets say 2o vivos. This accounts to 20p. Over the year you get more and more money and can buy different gadgets on there website. For example I managed to get enough for a speaker. Your able to see how many to have and can compete with people from your year, house and through out the school.
https://www.vivomiles.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending