The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Seamen Staines
Now that's not just a little demanding!

Although when they wrote the questions, they probably would have thought of some answers!
Reply 21
8 Lucky number
With spain - possibely more people smoke in spain i.e. consumption is higher. Also consider the Laffer curve maybe, as it shows relationship between tax rate and tax revenue.

Whats a Laffer curve?
Reply 22
russ
Whats a Laffer curve?

This should explain things:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/laffercurve.asp
Reply 23
So you would expect spain to not be maximising its possible tax revenue from indirect cigarette tax then? therefore graphically the tax rate of spain would be to the left of the laffer curve optimum (generally 50%) which means that they arent getting as much as they could? could someone please confirm this?

Also can someone please explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of using regulation pls, ive tried the ocd as textbook but aint found anything so any help would prove particuarly useful,
thanks
Sarah
Reply 24
check some of ur notes from the as market faliure module...thats where I found most that type of stuff.
russ
Whats a Laffer curve?

Basically when govt raise taxes to increase revenues when in fact it will lead to lower revenues as it will act as a disincentive to work and invest, so the right balance must be found which is what the curve shows. But like with all Economics its just crap theories which dont really work/cant be calculated.
You dont know the laffer curve and you're about to take an A level exam. Either you've just not been taught it, or I really feel sorry for you.
Seamen Staines
You dont know the laffer curve and you're about to take an A level exam. Either you've just not been taught it, or I really feel sorry for you.

Not really as we havent been taught it either, i just know it cos iv read through my revision book, having said that we'v not been taught much! Plus its not even on the ocr syllabus so you dont need to know it.
Can someone explain to me in extract 1, what does the info tell us about the comparative price elasticities of demand for cigs in the diff countries? I dont really get how to work this out with the data given.... cheers!
Reply 29
tangoman444
Can someone explain to me in extract 1, what does the info tell us about the comparative price elasticities of demand for cigs in the diff countries? I dont really get how to work this out with the data given.... cheers!

I know, the data given isn't really enough, whcih I suppose could be an evaluative point if required. The data merely suggests elasticities for each country on the basis that the countries are compared. I mean, you wouldn;t really be able to say if Spain was elastic, if you didn;t have the duty and revenue figures for lets say the UK. Does that make sense?
Reply 30
just a quick question....are u guys going to only learn the pre-released stuff and the specific parts of the syllbaus from which it relates. or are u going to also learn the stuff on the europe syllabus such as transtition economies...and enlargement...which has no real chance of comin up?
spurs123
just a quick question....are u guys going to only learn the pre-released stuff and the specific parts of the syllbaus from which it relates. or are u going to also learn the stuff on the europe syllabus such as transtition economies...and enlargement...which has no real chance of comin up?

Ive gone through the syllabus but only glanced over the transition economies section and am now working on the pre-release material.
spurs123

Funny you should ask that as iv just read over the transitional notes but havent learned it in much detail, i didnt even realise there was no chance of it coming up, having said that knowing my luck it probably will.
got two questions that id like to put

1) could someone explain to me what the laffer curve is, cuz i never heard of it before untill i read the tutor for you thing and draw the thing for me aswell, explainin it!! (which is really useful i think...just if they could also answer the questions they asked that would have been a bonus, or am is that asking for a little tooooooo much!!! actually its worth asking isnt it)

2) what other tobacco products that are sold which are other than cigarettes??? cuz one you can exactly compare excise duty per packet of 20 cigarettes and the revenue from excise duty on tabacco products, or can you???

btw, any1 who has actually answered the questions on tutor2u if your feelin genourous please forward it to me and the rest of the ppl, as it might or should indeed help us, unless, obviously your kinda tight even with studies,
john williams
Funny you should ask that as iv just read over the transitional notes but havent learned it in much detail, i didnt even realise there was no chance of it coming up, having said that knowing my luck it probably will.

what are the transitional notes, damn im well behind schedule!!!! this aint soundin too well
maximusmak
what are the transitional notes, damn im well behind schedule!!!! this aint soundin too well

The laffer curve is basically what i said above. Notes on transitional econ. joining from Eastern Europe..if u have the Bamford book.

Also does anyone have any eval points on Tax Harmonisation...regarding +ve or -ve points.
Reply 36
Ok we never got taught this laffer curve business but I think i'm past caring what will happen will happen!!!
Reply 37
john williams
The laffer curve is basically what i said above. Notes on transitional econ. joining from Eastern Europe..if u have the Bamford book.

Also does anyone have any eval points on Tax Harmonisation...regarding +ve or -ve points.

Use that tutor2u revision guide that was posted on here...the last few pages are all on tax harmonisation.
Reply 38
maximusmak
got two questions that id like to put

1) could someone explain to me what the laffer curve is, cuz i never heard of it before untill i read the tutor for you thing and draw the thing for me aswell, explainin it!! (which is really useful i think...just if they could also answer the questions they asked that would have been a bonus, or am is that asking for a little tooooooo much!!! actually its worth asking isnt it)

2) what other tobacco products that are sold which are other than cigarettes??? cuz one you can exactly compare excise duty per packet of 20 cigarettes and the revenue from excise duty on tabacco products, or can you???

btw, any1 who has actually answered the questions on tutor2u if your feelin genourous please forward it to me and the rest of the ppl, as it might or should indeed help us, unless, obviously your kinda tight even with studies,

Use that link i posted on here about the laffer curve.

I don't really understand your second question. Can you exlain?
Reply 39
Anyone think that centrally planned economies will come up? Ive revised CAP, SEM EMU, EU Pros and cons of Tax, Subs and Reg anything major which is missed?
Thanks!
Sarah

Latest

Trending

Trending