The Student Room Group
You're just good at different things. My A*s in English GCSE were incredibly easy for me compared to the ********* of work I put in to get my Bs for the sciences.
Reply 2
thecaterpillar
You're just good at different things. My A*s in English GCSE were incredibly easy for me compared to the ********* of work I put in to get my Bs for the sciences.

What I just can't see is how people do well at english when I don't really see right and wrong answers with it, whereas for maths for example, I see right and wrong answers.
k8ht67`
What I just can't see is how people do well at english when I don't really see right and wrong answers with it, whereas for maths for example, I see right and wrong answers.

English is very subjective.As long as you can back up your opinion you can give your own interpretation of the text.

There are different exam skills needed for maths than English. Some people 'get' those skills, others don't. There's also different skills required for reading and understanding a text than solving equations. No one says you have to be good at everything, some things just come more naturally to people than they do for others. ^^
Reply 4
thecaterpillar
English is very subjective.As long as you can back up your opinion you can give your own interpretation of the text.

There are different exam skills needed for maths than English. Some people 'get' those skills, others don't. There's also different skills required for reading and understanding a text than solving equations. No one says you have to be good at everything, some things just come more naturally to people than they do for others. ^^

I guess so. But it is just really annoying sometimes, I do really well in science based subjects and then the rest are sort of not too great, just think it will affect me when I want to apply to a decent university if I can get some decent A-Level results
k8ht67`
I guess so. But it is just really annoying sometimes, I do really well in science based subjects and then the rest are sort of not too great, just think it will affect me when I want to apply to a decent university if I can get some decent A-Level results

I doubt your GCSE grades will have a huge impact, it's more important you get decent A levels that will develop your skills in the subject you want to study. Presumably if you enjoy Maths/Science and are good at those, that's the sort of subjects you're carrying on to A level and want to do at degree level? In that case, being good at totally unrelated subjects is not important. (:

English essays are honestly very formulaic, but it helps to enjoy reading and be good at understanding the texts you're set.
Reply 6
QUOTE QUOTE QUOTE
and you can never read too much into something. Predicted an A in english hope i get it tho :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I put in no work and got A's for English and Science, I just got crap for everything else though lolll
Reply 8
In my opinion, English isn't one of those subjects where you can bash the revision books. You're either good at it, or you're not, as it requires empathy and the ability to see past the initial meaning of texts etc.
wibletg
In my opinion, English isn't one of those subjects where you can bash the revision books. You're either good at it, or you're not, as it requires empathy and the ability to see past the initial meaning of texts etc.

True. I'm predicted at a B but i could do one better. my english teacher is ill and i'm stuck with a cover for another two weeks! That may affect my grades!

Latest