The Student Room Group

Possible to get into Soas with 2:2?

I've just applying for a Msc in International Management at Soas, however they say a minimum of upper second class degree is required. I only have a 2:2 from a solid UK university, so relevant work experience as well, not much, just a few internships.

Any chance of getting in? I am just taking a year out now to earn the money for the course, so I am not sure if they will see me as a mature student as I would only have a year break after finishing my BA.

Any one done Msc in International managemnet at Soas or knows any one who has?

How respected if the course? what would be the job opportunities? or rather how good would the job opportunities be?
I think you should be okay if you have relevant work experience and good references to back up your application. If you're concerned, talk to the department and ask them whether it will be a problem.
Reply 2
Well, I will have experience of about 6 months, a few different internships at financial companies. I would want to do the Msc in International Management with the specialization in North Africa and the Middle East, however my undergrad BA is nothing to do with that, in fact its to do with europe, however I have traveled extensively all over the Middle East.

Does any one know anybody to get in with a 2:2?
Reply 3
jdjr
Well, I will have experience of about 6 months, a few different internships at financial companies. I would want to do the Msc in International Management with the specialization in North Africa and the Middle East, however my undergrad BA is nothing to do with that, in fact its to do with europe, however I have traveled extensively all over the Middle East.

Yes you have a good chance, just include those things in your personal statement. SOAS are really not that strict in admissions for master programs. Good luck.
Reply 4
jdjr

Experience will be helpful, and if you have language skills in anything related to what you want to study (or what group/area of the world you what to research on) that will be very helpful as well.
Reply 5
jdjr
I've just applying for a Msc in International Management at Soas, however they say a minimum of upper second class degree is required. I only have a 2:2 from a solid UK university, so relevant work experience as well, not much, just a few internships.

Any chance of getting in? I am just taking a year out now to earn the money for the course, so I am not sure if they will see me as a mature student as I would only have a year break after finishing my BA.

Any one done Msc in International managemnet at Soas or knows any one who has?

How respected if the course? what would be the job opportunities? or rather how good would the job opportunities be?

It'll entirely depend on the standard of students who are applying with you. If they're oversubscribed, say something like double the number of applicants for the places, unfortunately if the entry requirement is a 2:1 and you have a 2:2, you may well be palmed off as it's one of the most common ways of sifting students. Being able to pay for yourself however is a good thing and being a mature student with experience will definitely not hinder your application.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
I have applied already, (and I am assuming that they will respond within a month), will mean that not that many people applied, so less competition for places
Reply 7
I wouldn't be too optimistic about your chances to be honest. I believe you do have a chance if your motivational letter and references have a sound reasoning and you put lots of MENA stuff in it. However, the 'few internships' should not count as significant work experience and as long as there is not a quite strong relation to the course (e.g. having been an intern directly working with Executive Boards of major companies over there), they will probably not matter much. In case you believe your application doesn't emphasize enough on the region yet, get in touch with the convenor, maybe make an appointment and tell him why you have such an interest in this course... this should help and improve your chances as long as you can convince him of really having this kind of interest (and ability to succeed in the course).

I have no idea about the application ratio for PG courses in the DeFIMS department but in the UG sector it's 13:1 according to the website. I doubt there will be just a few more applicants than places, 'even' for the MENA region (compared to China, ...). Nevertheless, take your chances by establishing a personal contact.
Reply 8
My references worry me a bit, as my past lecturers do not teach anything to do with MENA or management. however the course is for people with no past experience in management, so that should be fine i guess. Proving my interest in the region is shown in my application as much as possible without deviating away from the management side of the course.

Sometimes I wish they did have interviews as a side of A4 and a reference is not enough to find out about me
Reply 9
Again, get in touch with the convenor, if you're not living in the UK right now, try to call him etc. - I haven't experienced yet if this really works but was told several times that this should be quite helpful; at least at SOAS. Knowing your name and having a positive idea about you when reading the application should help...
Reply 10
Original post by jdjr
My references worry me a bit, as my past lecturers do not teach anything to do with MENA or management. however the course is for people with no past experience in management, so that should be fine i guess. Proving my interest in the region is shown in my application as much as possible without deviating away from the management side of the course.

Sometimes I wish they did have interviews as a side of A4 and a reference is not enough to find out about me

Hi Jdjr!,

I know it's been very long since you last spoke on this forum, I have a quick question to ask in regards to this course.

Did you proceed with the course of International Management MENA, I am really interested in this course and considering expressing my interest in this. Does this course increase you job prospects???, What Modules did you opt for?

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending