The Student Room Group

Architectural Portfolios

HEY,
i am applying to study Architecture (undergrad) in 2010 and need some help for creating the portfolio i need for interviews. my questions are:
- how long/big does it need to be
- what sort of stuff do i need to have in it...
- obviously it will show creativity but does it have to be like an art portfolio....?
- should i have started it by now? (...eek iv the answers yes)
i'm fine with admitting im not the most academic person e.g. im not gonna get 4 A's at Alevel and im not going to cambridge but iv got a variety of uni's in mind all depending on how well i do, or not tbh.
any comment? thanks!
luke!
Reply 1
Many universities actually set down some vague criteria as to what they are looking for in portfolios. It may just help to go to each of the universities on the internet and read through their criteria.

If that doesn't help then use the search function as this question has been asked many, many times.
Reply 2
lukewillett

- how long/big does it need to be

They understand that architecture applicants (who tend to be doing 3 A Levels/Advanced Highers with high predicted grades) don't have a lot of time to make up their portfolios, as apposed to Art or Design students. Try to get in as much work as you can, but quality is far more important than quantity.

lukewillett
- what sort of stuff do i need to have in it...

In mine I included my best work from Higher and Advanced Higher, as well as a couple of personal sketchbooks and stuff I'd done at a portfolio class (these are definitely worth going to, we did lots of things we didn't get the chance to do at school, eg life drawing, and the tutors give you loads of good advice). You can include stuff like photography, design, sculpture, and technical drawing as well as the obvious paintings/drawings.

lukewillett
- obviously it will show creativity but does it have to be like an art portfolio....?

It's up to you really. Mine was pretty arty, but if you've done a lot of design then include that. They're just looking for evidence of creativity and drawing skill, as well as the ability to talk about your work at interview.

lukewillett
- should i have started it by now? (...eek iv the answers yes)

Now would be a good time to start! Ask at school about portfolio classes in you area. I went to a class at Edinburgh College of Art. Most art colleges do evening classes for university applicants.

lukewillett
i'm fine with admitting im not the most academic person e.g. im not gonna get 4 A's at Alevel and im not going to cambridge but iv got a variety of uni's in mind all depending on how well i do, or not tbh.
any comment? thanks!
luke!

As long as you've got a serious interest in architecture and you can can demonstrate your creativity and drawing ability then you should be fine. Unis differ a lot when it comes to grades. You'll find that a lot of the more "prestigious" ones will want 3 As, 2 As and a B or something like that. But that doesn't necessarily make them "better"; I'm at Dundee and they're pretty relaxed about letting people in with lower grades. They care more about your dedication to Architecture and your ability than your academic history.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Reply 3
Wow, how much free time do you have? :p: Have you not started uni yet?
Reply 4
dschna
Wow, how much free time do you have? :p: Have you not started uni yet?

Half our lectures and tutorials got cancelled this week (a tutor had a family emergency) so we've not got a lot to do which is a bit weird because we've been worked soooo hard up until now!

I slept in really late this morning (because of cancelled lectures) so I can't sleep now and I'm bored...
Reply 5
hey thanks for the post from moregano!...v.helpfull!...its encouraging to now that my love for architecture and design will be noted more than my grades...hehe... !!!
Tar..

Latest

Trending

Trending