The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
surely if they gave you the money then its their fault? i read somewhere about a woman who accidently gave someone 2k or something and legally she couldnt get it back because she gave it to him
sam.hunton
Remember this is an amount which is not even close. The money does still belong to them and due to the amount if could quite easily be proved you intentionally didn't inform them and could in the right circumstances be considered fraud.
I don't know the legal standing on who the money belongs to, but it couldnt "quite easily be proved [he] intentionally didn't inform them". All he has to say is that he didn't look at it and told his mum or something to put it in. The absolute worst that could realistically happen in this situation is that the company will ask for the money back.

Personally I would keep it but put it aside for a few months and see if they get in touch. Don't worry about legal action or anything, if they want it back, they will ask for it first (several times). Its not worth them bothering their lawyers if they don't need to.
Reply 22
put it in an empty bank account and then withdraw it all. if they want it back, tell them you thought that the £300 was compensation for wasting your time with a crap product and that you spent it all.

ez
yeh thanks for the responses guys - seems to be a mixed bag :biggrin:

i want to keep it but the gf is nagging me like a gooden - i intentionally was going to keep the cash for a few months after banking and like someone said above - say if they ask for it that i must have overlooked how much they paid me appologise and give the money back (its not as if they cant sa ythey did the same and besides how much would it cost for them to get lawyers and sue me right?) and also £15 of it is mine :biggrin:
Reply 24
Tell them, otherwise it'll blow up in your face somehow.
Reply 25
Bank it and hold onto to it in savings for ages, then if they ask for it back you've still got it, if not then after a few years you probably won't have to give it back.
crazyspacemonkey
This. Stick it in your ISA or a high interest account. If they ask for it back at least you've made a little money off it.

Good idea, BUTultimately, it's their money.

It's difficult though, really you should contact them and report it -- after all it may actually be yours based on some other random calculation.

---

OK, I've been thinking about this for a lot longer than I've been writing and you have to contact them and report it. Gauling though that may be!
ghost_writer
Good idea, BUT ultimately, it's their money.

Yep, you're probably right, but I'd bank the cheque anyway, it's their error. Don't spend it, only earn the interest off it. If/When they realise they've made a mistake, send them a cheque for what you owe them. Nobody gets hurt and you make a bob or two. They can't take any legal action against you unless you don't pay it back. Claim a mistake was made - if they can make one so can you.
Reply 28
Oh come on, you didn't ask on TSR and expect to be told to do the right thing?
tommm
I would be honest and alert them to their mistake, but maybe that's just me being a moral ****.

Me too. I can't believe the amount of people here saying bank it!
inksplodge
Me too. I can't believe the amount of people here saying bank it!

Yep, especially since you don't "bank" a cheque, you "present" it. </pedant>

I amn't a lawyer, but I believe that if you have a debt to someone and they don't contact you for 5 years about it, the debt is wiped off. Thus, you *could* put the money into an account, leave it there for 5 years, and if unclaimed draw it out and use it.
Get up up on the dance floor
Reply 32
As far as I'm aware they can't make you give it back. Companies come to deals with people all the time and don't properly document it. I also heard about the woman who transferred a coupel grand to the wrong account and she couldn't get that back.

Serves them right for being gits, can I ask who it was who sent the cheque?! *hopes its vodafone as paid them £250 to get them off my back*
Reply 33
Alert them tell them if they want it they must come and reclaim it minus a large administrative fee. However if they're that incompetent as to send £315 instead of £15 they probably won't so you'll end up keeping it
Spend it on drugs
bank it :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending