The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
10. i completly forgot evaluation for vygotsky so i started comparing it to piaget

I compared Vygotsky to Piaget too...it seemed the most sensible way to evaluate it really!
Reply 61
I did questions 3, 5 and 15.

Bystander - think i did well on. Put loads of stuff in, remembered the names etc...lots of AO2 points.

Circadian, Infradian etc - not bad.

Now, was supposed to do Love, but sat there for 15 mins and everything had just gone from my brain on that. Remembered some of Sternberg, but could only come up with a paragraph...so I took a gamble on Question 15...Parental Investment...something that had come up occassionally in my lessons through side-tracking, and some stuff crossed over from relationships. Checked the text-book after, and think that I got enough down for at least 12 marks of the 24, more than I coulda got from Love.

Overall, quite happy. Love question threw me tho, woulda been set for a great exam if something on relationship formation, interpersonal attraction and understudied had come up.
Reply 62
do u know what guys i dont want to act like a pompous but todays paper was so easy to predict. i only revised dissolution and maintenance and theory of love in relationships, only revised biolgical ryhtms and dreaming in bio-rythms and i only revised altruism and bystander behaviour in pro and anti. i dint even bother revsisn cognitive development but i bet some guy 5 pounds that vygotky will cum up :smile: it was just so obvious, love and bystander behaviour hadnt come up for ages and biological rythms was also easy to predict, i was laughing when i turned over the exam paper!!
Well, the paper seriously sucked big phallic things. For me at least. I did 3, 9 and 11, I think. The only question I could answer properly was 3 :frown: oh well, no uni for me, that paper seriously screwed me, I revised for everything BUT the questions that came up.
Reply 64
it was just so obvious, love and bystander behaviour hadnt come up for ages and biological rythms was also easy to predict, i was laughing when i turned over the exam paper!!

That's all well and good, but if you had been wrong and knew nothing on the paper, you'd have been up **** creek. And if it was that easy to predict, then I'm sure Psychology teachers up and down the country would have been teaching us only certain parts of the syllabus, so I reckon you were just lucky.

I think its better to be fully prepared instead of leaving it to predictions. Besides, you can sometimes use other parts of the syllabus for evaluation. For example, even if I'd known Vygotsky was going to come up, I still would have revised Piaget, Case and Pascual-Leone so I've definitely got enough evaluatory points.

Predictions seem a bit risky, if you ask me.
Reply 65
I did 3 - Altruism, 5 - Bio rythms.. and I beleive no 9 Animal intelligence. I had a huge smile on my face for the last one becauser I know tht essay off by heart. The other two were fine, I mean they could of been worse.. Ah well jsut next weds to go for Psych.
Ah well I need an A for this..
Reply 66
amie
That's all well and good, but if you had been wrong and knew nothing on the paper, you'd have been up **** creek. And if it was that easy to predict, then I'm sure Psychology teachers up and down the country would have been teaching us only certain parts of the syllabus, so I reckon you were just lucky.

I think its better to be fully prepared instead of leaving it to predictions. Besides, you can sometimes use other parts of the syllabus for evaluation. For example, even if I'd known Vygotsky was going to come up, I still would have revised Piaget, Case and Pascual-Leone so I've definitely got enough evaluatory points.

Indeed, I asked my teacher ahead what he would predict might come up that hasnt come up before but he said its perfectly normal they will run the same question two years running so never expect anything.
I did 2, 10 and 11. I think overall it wasn't too bad, but I completely forgot evaluation of Sternberg and I wrote about Lee's Six Styles of Love - is there such a thing?! If there is, it was probably the wrong thing to write about :frown:
did 2,3 & 5 too. Didnt revise love so panicked momentarily. I started writing about Bowlby and Ainsworth and thn relating them to love wording as though this is the first type of love we experience and according to the theorists we would find it difficult to form loving bonds in adult relationships if we've suffered maternal deprivation!! Criticised it with orphanage studies and indiv. diff. Then went on to Sternberg and even managed to bring some maintenance stuff in (maintaining a loving relationship!!) and questioning equity theory if love is unconditional!!! And you lot were worried!! How much waffle there, cant believe i done all that and evaluated in 30 mins!! Mind you god only knows what grade i'll receive!!
Reply 69
you know that feeling when you know its a really good question and you know everything about it, but the only problem is you know so much about it, u have trouble recalling it and it all gets jumbled up...hehe thas what happened to me

only need 2 Ds to get an overall A, so am not complaining :smile:
Reply 70
Hey, that was much better than I was expecting but the wording of the biological rhythms part b really threw me! 'Assess the consequences' wtf?? But never mind I hope i did as well as I thought I had.

And you can't predict the questions, they sometimes do the same topic twice and they pick them out of a hat. I don't think I would risk all of my career and my future on a 'prediction', maybe if I didn't care about psychology, but I do.

Anyone really unhappy or do most people think they did ok?
Reply 71
I did 3, 12 and 15.
I think I have got enough AO1 marks on the Evolution...not sure about the AO2. I seemed to have messed it up a bit. Parental investment doesn't have a much as the others subjects to write about. I used Mating systems with parental investment...but there was a distinct lack of studies..

Altruism/Bystander...difficult...I had a mental mind block and coudln't think of anything about it. I think I ended up using deindividuation, kitty genovene and latane and darley (But forgot their names). Now thinking about it I think I have tried to cover too much and not been able to elaborate on topics enough to get into the higher bands.

Adulthood...Is anyone else here doing that? doesn't seem so.
Anyway the wording threw me a bit. Wasn't used to relating the explanations to adjustment to old age...I can't remember what I actually relate it to now. A bit unusual for me as well as I pair everything with the sylabus. I think I have done ok on that...was only writing for about 25 minutes though because I had to think about it for a while (ok only about 3 minutes...but it seemed like forever) and I over ran on the evo essay (didn't do them in order) by 2 minutes.

I keep going from thinking that I did well to thinking that I have done worse than last time.
Reply 72
amie

my teacher spoke to cara flanagan and she told her that the examiners HAD to cover all topics over a certain number of cycles. ofcourse i wouldnthave took such a daft risk if i didnt know something!
Reply 73
my teacher spoke to cara flanagan and she told her that the examiners HAD to cover all topics over a certain number of cycles. ofcourse i wouldnthave took such a daft risk if i didnt know something!

Not sure if I believe you to be honest...why on earth would Cara Flanagan give one group of students an advantage over the rest? That doesn't seem very fair.
Reply 74
I don't really believe it either. My teacher works for AQA and is constantly moaning about marking scripts from a certain city coughleedscough.
He has told us that it is impossible to predict the questions and he is quite neurotic..Won't tell people when exams are or where through fear of being wrong...
We have asked him as a class many times. He has done revision lectures and seminars where every time he has always emphasised that you can not predict it.
Reply 75
Yeah thats true - it has been said by examiners/exam boards/anyone else that you can't predict questions! So if you're planning on doing that for Unit 5 don't complain when u f*** up coz its such a waste to work for a year and then fail coz u dont have the gift of prophecy.
Not meaning to be offensive - exam stress etc!
I did q's 3,4 and 5.

Question 3 I went off on a tangent,writing about aggression and ended up panicking but I got back on track,wrote about the empathy altruism hypothesis,Darley and Latane and Pilliavin and perceived similarity amongst others.

Question 4 was the exact same essay I got an A in the other week so I just replicated what i could remember for that...for some odd reason I wrote about CSB instead of ESB...weird.

Question 5 I just wrote loads of studies for part A and part B I discussed shift work and jetlag and how it affects performance and health etc...hmm.
Reply 77
I predicited the Question, and got 2/3 correct, and it paid off...hehe :P

also curious, what mental disorder (PSY5) came up in Jan05? , someone told me it was scizophrina, but can anyone confirm this?

If it was, it will be pointless revising it thoroughly as it would be the 2nd time in a row its come up :biggrin:

just my 2pence

As always, best of luck, and get into revision now...these last days are what really counts!! Hope you all get to do what ya wish to do
sim
Reply 78
i think it was but don't hold me to it! Depression hasn't come up for ages... but I've just ranted about predictions so I'm not gonna go all hypocritical and predict!
Reply 79
lol, no harm in predicting, Do normal revision for all 3, and just do the one you think will come up in more detail..it cant be detrimental :P
As for debates, you can get away with having 'heres one i prepared earlier' essay , and just contextulise it with the question.
Approaches gets on my nerves, and yes i hate it with a PASSION hehe
There is no getting around that one, only to make sure you know the different persepctives well and can also EVALUATE them in context to the passage

Latest

Trending

Trending