The Student Room Group

Is this the correct estimate for total cost of MSc+living in the UK?

Well i've calculated the fees for 'overseas' students and wow what a payment:

Oxford:
-MSc tuition fees: £13450
-college fees: £1992
-living cost: £13300
totals: £28742

Edinburgh:
-MSc tuition fees: £14750
-Living cost: £6623
total: £21373

Imperial
-MSc tuition fees: £20500
-Accomedation:£150, Entertainment:£50, Food:£50, Travel:£15, Others: £15 = £280*52weeks=£14560
totals=£35060 :woo:

*got all these info from their websites though..

Worst comes to worst if i got a loan it will total around: £36200. Will Imperial even consider taking me in since the websites says that one of the criteria for admession is that the students give good evidence that they can support themselves/pay the fees during their stay as a student in the UK.

International Students what's your plan for financial support during PG studies here?
Reply 1
Your living costs for Oxford and Edinburgh are on the low side by good thousand or so - you're looking at around £3500/£5000 for accommodation, whether that's halls/in college or renting alone. Plus then your actual living and day to day costs on top. Budget for a good £100 a week for food, transport, going out, ie: EVERYTHING that isn't your rent. That way you've got more than enough to live on and have extra just in case. I did this and actually only spent £50 a week on everything so came out at the end with money left and a positive bank balance. Also means you'll have 'spare' money to fly home when you want to which, after living with international students for a year seemed a very common complaint/issue. They all wished they had thought a bit more about the cost of getting home if and when needed. Seems sensible to me :smile:

So say accommodation is £5000 for the year, living costs for everything at £100 a week x 50 (although Oxford I believe is shorter than most normal MSc/MA courses ) = £5000 and then tuition fees on top :smile:

Your costs for Imperial sound about right for central London :smile: Remember also costs of a mobile phone as a basic contract will put you back £15/£20 a month.
Reply 2
apotoftea
Your living costs for Oxford and Edinburgh are on the low side by good thousand or so - you're looking at around £3500/£5000 for accommodation, whether that's halls/in college or renting alone.

LOL! I forgot one '0' for the living cost so it should be £13300 not £1330 :P and food and others is a part of it. So how about now apotoftea?

Your costs for Imperial sound about right for central London :smile: Remember also costs of a mobile phone as a basic contract will put you back £15/£20 a month.

Owh God it's so expensive. Last night i felt like fainting when calculating the total cost for Imperial lol (but i kept mentioning to myself: "Urm...your gonna leave in London, so pay more??" :P)
Reply 3
You can get by on a lot less than that in central London.

Accommodation £100-130
Food & entertainment £50 (food £30 entertainment £20)
Travel <£10 in zone 1/2 £16-20 zone 3+

You can work, and term isn't 52 weeks. Imperial is giving you a comfortable & safe estimate, there is no reason you can't live on less.

Source: I live in London...

Latest

Trending

Trending