The Student Room Group

Invitation to interview

Scroll to see replies

Easyjet looks better than Ryan: they fly into Gatwick, which as Boo says is a direct bus to Oxford (though relatively infrequent and lengthy). For Oxford, Ryan fly into Stansted, Bristol or EMA; not the easiest places to start from for Oxford. Liverpool is probably easier! Also they're dire; I vowed a while back never to fly with them again, or to use Stansted.

:sheep:
There's a National Express bus to\from Stansted I think.

Yes there is - and Luton as well:

http://www.oxford.gov.uk/community/how-to-get-to-oxford.cfm
Reply 22
Derek_the_Sheep
Since you're applying for history, where most applicants get interviewed, it might well be best to book the flights now, while they are cheap. If by some chance you don't get an interview, have a consolation holiday in the UK.... or just write the (smaller amount of) money off.

Getting to Oxford from the airport is a cinch, provided it's Birmingham (direct train) or Heathrow (direct bus). Even the other London airports aren't too bad. But as your interviews might start early on the first day, it might be best to book a flight the day before, and stay overnight at the college. Email your college's admissions office now, and explain the situation, see what they think.

DtS

thank you for all the advice but i really don't want to tempt fate. maybe after i do the HAT i'll have a better idea of my chances and might book then. Its also when my school mock exams are and they're really touchy about missing them so I'd rather only go if its an interview. I have to be there at 10 on the wed. How long does it take to get from Birmingham airport to Oxford and does anyone know how much it costs? Because the flights are considerly cheaper if i fly to London but then the bus would be more.
Reply 23
Oh-WOW
thank you for all the advice but i really don't want to tempt fate. maybe after i do the HAT i'll have a better idea of my chances and might book then. Its also when my school mock exams are and they're really touchy about missing them so I'd rather only go if its an interview. I have to be there at 10 on the wed. How long does it take to get from Birmingham airport to Oxford and does anyone know how much it costs? Because the flights are considerly cheaper if i fly to London but then the bus would be more.

If the National Rail journey planner is to be believed, you'd be better off choosing a flight to London, then, because the price difference between the train and coach tickets is marginal (at least £18 for a return ticket with the former and a fixed price of £25 with the latter). The coach from Heathrow also runs more frequently and only takes about 20-30 minutes longer.
Reply 24
hobnob
If the National Rail journey planner is to be believed, you'd be better off choosing a flight to London, then, because the price difference between the train and coach tickets is marginal (at least £18 for a return ticket with the former and a fixed price of £25 with the latter). The coach from Heathrow also runs more frequently and only takes about 20-30 minutes longer.

Yes thats what i think.
but Ryan air flys to Bristol. How easy is it to get to oxford from there?
they're having a £1 sale atm so i'm in two minds wheter to book it.
It would cost £30.00 for baggage though. I don't know if i could get 5 days out of hand luggage.
Oh-WOW
Yes thats what i think.
but Ryan air flys to Bristol. How easy is it to get to oxford from there?
they're having a £1 sale atm so i'm in two minds wheter to book it.
It would cost £30.00 for baggage though. I don't know if i could get 5 days out of hand luggage.

I've had two weeks out of hand luggage! Bristol airport is in the boondocks the other side of Bristol. check National express and see what buses run, maybe to Bristol centre and then train to Ox.
Reply 26
Derek_the_Sheep
I've had two weeks out of hand luggage! Bristol airport is in the boondocks the other side of Bristol. check National express and see what buses run, maybe to Bristol centre and then train to Ox.

Yes but I am a girl. I'm sure you don't need straightners, make up etc etc. the last time i took hand luggage was for 3 days and i struggled.
I think going to London will probaly actually be cheapest. thanks for all the help though. I'll wait until after the HAT at least.
Reply 27
I'm thinking of booking my flights with Easyjet now in the Hallowe'en hols - when I was over seeing Oxford and looking at Colleges, one of the Senior Admissions Tutors was asking us where we flew into (which was London) and he said to go for Birmingham, which is where he goes - he goes to NI alot apparently.
Btw Oh-WOW, where abouts in NI are you from - from Omagh myself.
Hmm - I see BMI baby have really cheap flights Belfast.Intll <-> Birmingham in early December at present - in fact some are "free". Definitely best option. Book now, never mind the HAT.

DtS
Reply 29
jbeacom600
I'm thinking of booking my flights with Easyjet now in the Hallowe'en hols - when I was over seeing Oxford and looking at Colleges, one of the Senior Admissions Tutors was asking us where we flew into (which was London) and he said to go for Birmingham, which is where he goes - he goes to NI alot apparently.
Btw Oh-WOW, where abouts in NI are you from - from Omagh myself.

Lisburn area.
I didn't even get over to look at colleges =[
How hard was it when you went? Like with buses etc.
If i get an interview, i'm going on my own and i don't want to sound silly but i'm notoriously bad at finding buses etc so i want to make it as easy as possible.
The london flights are cheaper and more frequent though.
Reply 30
Derek_the_Sheep
Hmm - I see BMI baby have really cheap flights Belfast.Intll <-> Birmingham in early December at present - in fact some are "free". Definitely best option. Book now, never mind the HAT.

DtS

'Flying Out Tue 08 Dec 2009dep. 18:35 arr. 19:40 £0.04
Flying Back Sun 13 Dec 2009dep. 12:20 arr. 13:30 £6.04
taxes & charges per person £40.90
TOTAL FARE per person including taxes & charges £46.98'
PLUS another £35.98 for a bag

not so cheap when you add it all up. Oh how i hate 'cheap' flights. Ryan Air to Bristol was cheaper with bags
Another NI-er here. I'm too scared to book anything before the HAT too. Didn't get over to see the place first either.

Looking at flights to the London airports with Easyjet ten days in advance from now, the prices don't look too bad though. About £30 each way to Gatwick.
Reply 32
Eric Arthur
Another NI-er here. I'm too scared to book anything before the HAT too. Didn't get over to see the place first either.

Looking at flights to the London airports with Easyjet ten days in advance from now, the prices don't look too bad though. About £30 each way to Gatwick.

wereabouts in NI?

Yes i looked at that as well. But then i thought about interviews will be coming up to xmas so that could make it more expensive? I dunno. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply 33
Bristol would be an absolute nightmare. The train to Oxford only takes about an hour and a half, but it actually takes two hours because the train gets into Dicot exactly 3 minutes after the train leaves to Oxford so then you have to hang about for ages. Then, as others have hinted at, the airport is MILES from the city, so you have to fork out an insane amount to even get back to Bristol, let alone to Temple Meads
Oh-WOW
wereabouts in NI?

Yes i looked at that as well. But then i thought about interviews will be coming up to xmas so that could make it more expensive? I dunno. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Ballymena (hey).

Hopefully the beginning of December is far enough away from Christmas to be affected.
Reply 35
Eric Arthur
Ballymena (hey).

Hopefully the beginning of December is far enough away from Christmas to be affected.

Well the 9th December for history. Which i think you're applying for saying you mentioned the HAT. Thats only just over 2 weeks away.
What college are you applying for?
Ah right, I thought it was earlier than that. I'm more worried about the HAT than the interview at the minute - one step at a time. :smile:

I'm applying for History and Politics at Balliol.
Reply 37
Oh-WOW
'Flying Out Tue 08 Dec 2009dep. 18:35 arr. 19:40 £0.04
Flying Back Sun 13 Dec 2009dep. 12:20 arr. 13:30 £6.04
taxes & charges per person £40.90
TOTAL FARE per person including taxes & charges £46.98'
PLUS another £35.98 for a bag

not so cheap when you add it all up. Oh how i hate 'cheap' flights. Ryan Air to Bristol was cheaper with bags

Oh come on. Students who have to travel to Oxford from other EU countries (not to mention internationals who have opted to be interviewed in Oxford) will be paying considerably more than that for their flights. I realise that it's annoying for you, but there are a lot of people who are worse off...
And it is only a week, so you'll hardly need to take a whole suitcase for that. Just take two shirts, a jumper, and an extra pair of trousers, go a bit easier on the make-up bottles than you normally would (and maybe leave the stuff which isn't absolutely essential) and you should be fine with one of those little carry-on cases.
You could always get a ferry from Belfast to Liverpool and get a train/bus down. Would take ages but might be a bit cheaper as you'd not have to pay a baggage fee and the ferry is only £15 each way from what I can see on their site.
Reply 39
hobnob
Oh come on. Students who have to travel to Oxford from other EU countries (not to mention internationals who have opted to be interviewed in Oxford) will be paying considerably more than that for their flights. I realise that it's annoying for you, but there are a lot of people who are worse off...
And it is only a week, so you'll hardly need to take a whole suitcase for that. Just take two shirts, a jumper, and an extra pair of trousers, go a bit easier on the make-up bottles than you normally would (and maybe leave the stuff which isn't absolutely essential) and you should be fine with one of those little carry-on cases.

yes i know there are people worse of than me. I feel really sorry for them. I was complaining about flights that are advertised at £0.04 and £6.04 turn out to be £70.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending