The Student Room Group

Any chance of Harvard for moi?

I would REALLY appreciate it if you told me honestly whether I have a chance of getting in because I've heard that it's actually quite hard.

GCSE - 9A*, 2A.
AS LEVELS -
A - Maths (done early)
A- Physics
A- French
B-Computing (done early)
A - General Studies (compulsory, a crap subject)
Music Pre-U - predicted D2 (equivalent A*)
PREDICTED GRADES
A* in Maths (already got it)
A* in Further Maths
A* Physics
D2 in Music Pre-U

Diploma level in Piano, won school piano comp, played in ABRSM high achievers concert twice, Diploma level in Cello, first cello in all school orchestras. I attend debating club, I do peer mentoring and maths mentoring.
I read for blind people as volunteering work.

I would really like to study maths - any ideas? Thanks :confused: :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh, and my SAT scores came in around 700
Reply 2
lorelai_m
I would REALLY appreciate it if you told me honestly whether I have a chance of getting in because I've heard that it's actually quite hard.

GCSE - 9A*, 2A.
AS LEVELS -
A - Maths (done early)
A- Physics
A- French
B-Computing (done early)
PREDICTED GRADES
A* in Further Maths
A* Physics
D2 in Music Pre-U

Diploma level in Piano, won school piano comp, played in ABRSM high achievers concert twice, Diploma level in Cello, first cello in all school orchestras. I attend debating club, I do peer mentoring and maths mentoring.

You've gone the wrong route I'm afraid; what you actually need is a ridiculously wealthy father.
Reply 3
No harm in applying anyway, go in with nothing to lose
Blátönn
You've gone the wrong route I'm afraid; what you actually need is a ridiculously wealthy father.

Unless you can get a scholarship,and even then...
Reply 5
Money.

Do you have it?
Reply 8
'$34,208.00' That is the tuition fee for just one year, not including everythin else!? Why on earth would anyone go there?
Reply 9
Blátönn
'$34,208.00' That is the tuition fee for just one year, not including everythin else!? Why on earth would anyone go there?

Its ranked #1 university in the world?

If you've got a minted parent and make the grades then why not?
lorelai_m

GCSE - 9A*, 2A.
AS LEVELS -
A - Maths (done early)
A- Physics
A- French
B-Computing (done early)
PREDICTED GRADES
A* in Further Maths
A* Physics
D2 in Music Pre-U

What were your SAT results? Post them fully.

As for the fees:

You guys have posted a link to the graduate school fees.
I think the main obstacle you need to overcome to get into Harvard is the astronomical cost of studying there.

You do realise though, Harvard and Yale and their ilk are only so well renowned for their post-graduates? I would argue that for undergraduates, Oxbridge and the other top UK universities offers a far better student experience. (I'm basing this statement on what American students here at UCL have told me).
Reply 12
Sounds like you have a chance but Harvard is insanely expensive. Obama didn't pay back his student loan until the year before he was inaugerated! If your parents are rich then go for it, although remember it's a bit of a lottery and don't get your hopes up.

PS I was rejected this year :frown:

PPS there's no such thing as a 'number 1' university for all the people talking about rankings. There is a top tier though. Top tier is: Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/Stanford
KiiNGofLONDON
As for the fees:

You guys have posted a link to the graduate school fees.

These are the undergraduate fees. Still a case of :eek:

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/financial_aid/cost.html
For maths, you just have to be good at maths. That's what I think. Think about it: what do the cello and blind people have to do with maths? Close to nothing. Harvard will likely want a truly promising and distinguished intellect. If you've got that, apply.
Reply 15
We had a speaker come in to our school.

They made it out as if financial aid was excellent. According to this booklet they gave us, for incomes under $60 k no contribution is expected. For those with incomes between $120k - $180k, about 10% is asked.
Reply 16
lorelai_m

GCSE - 9A*, 2A.
AS LEVELS -
A - Maths (done early)
A- Physics
A- French
B-Computing (done early)
PREDICTED GRADES
A* in Further Maths
A* Physics
D2 in Music Pre-U

What course were you in to? Cause from the subjects you took perhaps MIT is a better choice. Though don't get all excited, MIT = HARVARD for rich Geeks/Nerds.
Reply 17
Flying Cookie
For maths, you just have to be good at maths. That's what I think. Think about it: what do the cello and blind people have to do with maths? Close to nothing. Harvard will likely want a truly promising and distinguished intellect. If you've got that, apply.

Please don't give advice when you clearly know nothing about Harvard admissions.

You don't apply for maths you apply to the university. You put down the three subjects you will 'most likely' major in but this means nothing and the people who read your application will be members of an admissions commitee not necessarily people who teach the subject you will most likely major in.

If you've won a gold medal in an olympiad then, yes, your intelligence will get you in but the vast vast majority of people get in because they have A grades, good SAT scores and a host of extra - curriculars.

I put extra-curriculars in bold because that's the most important thing.

Harvard (and the other American schools) value completely different things to British universities. They don't want the most intelligent people, they want the people who will most likely be successful enough to donate large amounts of money to the institution. That's why they love people who have big personalities and can manage their time well enough to have lots of extra curriculars, or have talents that might make them famous one day.

Edit: this is why no child actor/actress has ever gone to a 'bad' college. Jodie Foster, Jennifer Connelly = Yale. Natalie Portman = Harvard. Emmy Rossum = Columbia. Brooke Shields = Princeton.
Guys, Harvard are incredibly generous with their Financial Aid. If you can afford to go there, then it is well worth the money, if you can't then they'll help you up to the point where it becomes affordable for you personally. Either way, the 'Ivy League's expensive rant' has been a broken record for a long time now...
Sakildo
We had a speaker come in to our school.

They made it out as if financial aid was excellent. According to this booklet they gave us, for incomes under $60 k no contribution is expected. For those with incomes between $120k - $180k, about 10% is asked.

Exactly. You only pay the full $50k a year if you can actually afford it without a problem.

And as I understood it (when I was thinking of applying), the 10% for $120k-$180k is meant as in 10% of your income, not 10% of the full cost of attendance. For instance paying $12000=£7500 per year for everything (tuition, accommodation, food, books, etc) is actually not bad at all. Studying in the UK is in fact often actually more expensive than that -- for me it'll be £6000 for tuition and accommodation alone.

I hate it when people look at the tuition fees of the best unis in the US (Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT) and automatically assume that everyone studying there must be ridiculously rich.

Latest

Trending

Trending