The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No you don't have to be perfect. You do have to be academically strong though.
Reply 2
ahh ok, so a few A's would be good? im guessing you have to get all higher than Bs though right?
Reply 3
shannaa
ahh ok, so a few A's would be good? im guessing you have to get all higher than Bs though right?

That is a good guess. Have a browse of their admissions site: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/law/index.html

Typical offer: A*AA
Reply 4
thankyou! :smile:
Academically outstanding i.e. nothing below A plus a bit of luck in the interivew
-making the interviwer like you is equally important.
Reply 6
I don't know how academically strong your A Level choices are tbh - most applicants will have at least two really traditional subjects - the Sciences, Maths, a Language, History, English Literature are the most frequent. But you have got French, and then the rest of your subjects aren't terrible, and you are doing a lot of them, so perhaps it won't matter at all. This is a copy of Trinity's acceptable subject combinations, which I was referred too when I asked at the Cambridge open day about the best A Levels to take. This may also be of use to you.
They're looking to give standard offers of A*AA from this year onwards, and you have to release the UMS score for every module you take, so in your ASs aim to have an average of 90%+ in as many subjects as possible. They're looking for applicants with high UMS scores. Realisticly, straight As across all your subjects is desireable, but with five subjects, four As and one B shouldn't really be a problem. In addition to this, you can do plenty of things to strengthen your application - strong GCSEs, perfect personal statement, supportive reference, read around the subject, take a look at the Cambridge Sixth Form Law Conference which is held in March, do some legal work experience if possible, perhaps some charity or volunteer work always looks nice but isn't necessary, and the occasional extra-curricular such as Debating would never go amiss.
Reply 7
oxbridge_scholars
Academically outstanding i.e. nothing below A plus a bit of luck in the interivew
-making the interviwer like you is equally important.
Nothing below A in relevant subjects would probably be more accurate.
Reply 8
ahh ok cool, thanks helps (: my predicted grades are all As and Bs, so im trying to get as many up to As!
do you apply to cambridge earlier than other uni's yeah?
cos i dont want to apply there, get a no, then not be able to apply to other uni's cos its too late lolll
Reply 9
What year are you in? Just checking you are a year 12...
You send off your UCAS around this time in year 13. UCAS has the same details sent out to all your university choices. You're meant to send off all five of your applications together, but you can send off your Cambridge one then add other choices at a later date - this is recommended for people who haven't quite made up their minds. The date for Oxbridge applications is the 15th October, and the date for all other applications is 15th January. You'll hear a reply from Cambridge in the first week or so of January, by which time you should have already sent out your other applications. Does that help?
Reply 10
Yeah im in year 12, im constantly thinking about this because firstly its drummed into our heads at school and secondly i worry about these things too much! haha.
yeah it does help thankyou! (: so, the time my reply comes back from cambridge is when everyone is applying for other uni's yeah?
Reply 11
Not really - everyone applies to their universities between now and November really. The majority of our college has already sent them off or are very close to finishing. Like I say, some people send off part so that they can comply with the first deadline, then add the others within a few weeks. You can apply as late as December / January, but I don't think it's highly recommended. You certainly don't apply to one or two universities and wait for their reply before you send out other applications. You hear replies from all the universities at different times - some come within weeks of sending off your application, some take several months. They have until around April to reply I think.
Reply 12
Ooh ok i see. thankyou :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending