The Student Room Group

Applying to American Unis - HELP!

I have been reading around American uni websites, and their information is really confusing me :s-smilie:

Do American unis accept COMPLETED A levels as subsitution for SAT I and SAT II (I'm interested in the Ivy league unis such as Harvard and Yale)? If SAT are essential, how much study does each SAT examination require? Are they harder than A levels? :s-smilie:

It would be very helpful if anyone could explain the SAT exams relative to British A levels.

PS. I achieved AAAAABD In A levels + Gold in senior mathematical olympiad + PASS in a Open university short course

I have alot of Extra curricular activities, work experience ect..

Do I stand a chance at top American uni? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Jinru
I have been reading around American uni websites, and their information is really confusing me :s-smilie:

Do American unis accept COMPLETED A levels as subsitution for SAT I and SAT II (I'm interested in the Ivy league unis such as Harvard and Yale)? If SAT are essential, how much study does each SAT examination require? Are they harder than A levels? :s-smilie:

It would be very helpful if anyone could explain the SAT exams relative to British A levels.

PS. I achieved AAAAABD In A levels + Gold in senior mathematical olympiad + PASS in a Open university short course

You need SATs or they won't look at you. Preferably all 3 sections above 700. All the A levels are lovely but mean jack all if you don't have immense extra-curriculars. Harvard and Yale are looking for the people can call upon a veritable wealth of life experience in addition to their grades.

SATs aren't that difficult if you have a good vocabulary, logical faculties, analytical skills, grammar and mathematical ability. The maths you'll find easy if you've done A level, however the Critical reading and Writing will probably be a little more obscure; English isn't really taught that way in the UK.
Reply 2
amiparanoid
You need SATs or they won't look at you. Preferably all 3 sections above 700. All the A levels are lovely but mean jack all if you don't have immense extra-curriculars. Harvard and Yale are looking for the people can call upon a veritable wealth of life experience in addition to their grades.

SATs aren't that difficult if you have a good vocabulary, logical faculties, analytical skills, grammar and mathematical ability. The maths you'll find easy if you've done A level, however the Critical reading and Writing will probably be a little more obscure; English isn't really taught that way in the UK.

No uni in the Ivy league takes A level as subsitution? :s-smilie:
So is 700/800 in SAT is equal to A in A levels? :s-smilie:

Do I have to learn any subject specific to take the SAT exams? Because I'm on my gap year and have an internship planned, so I don't think I can to go back to studies for the SATs.

Could I avoid the SAT if, let's say, I'm in China? :P
Jinru
No uni in the Ivy league takes A level as subsitution? :s-smilie:
So is 700/800 in SAT is equal to A in A levels? :s-smilie:

Do I have to learn any subject specific to take the SAT exams? Because I'm on my gap year and have an internship planned, so I don't think I can to go back to studies for the SATs.

Could I avoid the SAT if, let's say, I'm in China? :P

nope, none of them do.

you have to have 3 subject specific SAT 2s (although one of them can be maths). Nearly all people (90%+) applying to Ivy league will have 700+ in each of the 3 sections. I'm on my gap year too, and my internship is 9am-6pm Monday-Friday. It's all a matter of commitment...

Saying this, if you're thinking of applying for next year you really need to book SATs quickly. Really, really quickly- as US unis will want your results by 1st January and you can't take SATs and SAT 2s at the same time, and there's only 1 test day per month. And you need to build in time to get the results back. Good luck...
Reply 4
Jinru

Looks like you a very good at Math so speak to Math depts at US schools. You look to be very intelligent so of course you have a shot at any US college.

Saying that, I hope your extra curriculars are not totally academically based or ,for example, one season of cricket, one season of football, etc - where it shows that you are only doing ECs for the sake of ECs.

But look at the specifics of each school before you choose to apply a school.

edit - Its going to be tough if you are Chinese. Just throwing it out there - you have to be damned smart to get into a US school as an Asian.....

edit- That D is going to screw you over, no two ways about it. Unless it is in housemaking.
If IB classess are equiavlent to "A levels", you should be fine
for example, my teacher told me that if you've taken IB SL Chem 2 you should be able to get pretty good grades

regular sats are pretty easy, but if you are unable to get a great grade, apllying is going to be waste of money
if you have the time, keep practicing the tests if you are not getting good enough grades

ALSO SAT is mandatory, while most decent colleges require 3 SAT subject tests along side SAT
If you know about the ACT w/ writing, this may* compensate for a low SAT scrore (i'm assumming you would need to get abouve 2000 at the minimum for ivy league schools), even so i've read alot of people not getting into Havard with perfect scores, it depends how rich you are/ how benificial you are to the school/ great ecs
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your help

Do Americans spend, like british people, 2 years of studying to prepare for the SATs?

Why does my family wealth matter when applying to American unis? :s-smilie: I'm sure that my family can afford the full international fees, is that rich enough?

Btw that D is in general studies lol
Reply 7
Pretty much everything people have said already is correct and answers your questions. All of the Ivy League schools require the SAT Reasoning Tests (I) and 2/3 SAT Subject Tests (II). However, Yale are an exception in that they will accept completed A Level results in lieu of SAT IIs. And tbh mate, if you're hoping to apply for this admissions cycle then you'd better get a bloody move on!

Oh and f***ing hell, you took 7 A Levels?! Whatever made you think that would be a good idea?! 4/5 As on their own would look considerably better than AAAAABD...
Reply 8
_Fleur_
Pretty much everything people have said already is correct and answers your questions. All of the Ivy League schools require the SAT Reasoning Tests (I) and 2/3 SAT Subject Tests (II). However, Yale are an exception in that they will accept completed A Level results in lieu of SAT IIs. And tbh mate, if you're hoping to apply for this admissions cycle then you'd better get a bloody move on!

Oh and f***ing hell, you took 7 A Levels?! Whatever made you think that would be a good idea?! 4/5 As on their own would look considerably better than AAAAABD...

7 A levels looks too academic and not enough social life.
Reply 9
_Fleur_

Thanks, so Yale is the only exception?

I initially didn't intend to take 7 A levels, but some subject really didn't require you to study, ie business studies (The B) and general studies (The D) so I just took it.

dn013
7 A levels looks too academic and not enough social life.

7 A levels only took me 1 months before exam to cram all in, which gives me plenty of social time.

Did you miss

Reply 10
Jinru
Thanks, so Yale is the only exception?

I initially didn't intend to take 7 A levels, but some subject really didn't require you to study, ie business studies (The B) and general studies (The D) so I just took it.

7 A levels only took me 1 months before exam to cram all in, which gives me plenty of social time.

Did you miss

I don't care if it actually gave you time for a social life, it is the impression. The impression of doing 7 A levels is that 'this kid tries to hard just so that his application is going to look good- he is not very genuine.' And dude I bet you had plenty of social life time with that D...
Reply 11
dn013
I don't care if it actually gave you time for a social life, it is the impression. The impression of doing 7 A levels is that 'this kid tries to hard just so that his application is going to look good- he is not very genuine.' And dude I bet you had plenty of social life time with that D...

oki, since I am unfamiliar of how American uni views applicants, I will just take your point here.

So are you applying too? or already at uni?
Reply 12
Jinru
oki, since I am unfamiliar of how American uni views applicants, I will just take your point here.

So are you applying too? or already at uni?

I am already at Uni. Went through the whole process last year, it sucks. (the process not college, college is great)
Reply 13
dn013
I am already at Uni. Went through the whole process last year, it sucks. (the process not college, college is great)

oh ok, hmmm I heard people been talking about how having a rich family could increase your chances at obtaining a place at US university, is this true?

Also, could you compare, let's say an oxbridge candidate with someone who attends Yale?

Could you say that an Oxbridge candidate have higher work ethics? and a Yale candidate are more practical and ambitious?

Or is it that American candidate are generally more intellegent and more practical? Because I am aware of that American uni emphasis ALOT on extra curricular activities as well as their high school education being much harder(?) :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Jinru
oh ok, hmmm I heard people been talking about how having a rich family could increase your chances at obtaining a place at US university, is this true?

Also, could you compare, let's say an oxbridge candidate with someone who attends Yale?

Could you say that an Oxbridge candidate have higher work ethics? and a Yale candidate are more practical and ambitious?

Or is it that American candidate are generally more intellegent and more practical? Because I am aware of that American uni emphasis ALOT on extra curricular activities as well as their high school education being much harder(?) :s-smilie:

Being wealthy helps, but so does being poor.

No you couldn't, I don't think you can generalize the student body at each institution - there are different types of people at each institution. But let me qualify that by saying that US unis have more candidates to choose from....
Reply 15
dn013
Being wealthy helps, but so does being poor.

No you couldn't, I don't think you can generalize the student body at each institution - there are different types of people at each institution. But let me qualify that by saying that US unis have more candidates to choose from....

hmm thank you for your information.

Last question then, does this imply that there are significantly more candidates applying (relative to number of acceptance) to top American unis than top British unis?
Reply 16
Jinru
hmm thank you for your information.

Last question then, does this imply that there are significantly more candidates applying (relative to number of acceptance) to top American unis than top British unis?

Yes, especially because Oxbridge is broken down into colleges.
dn013
Yes, especially because Oxbridge is broken down into colleges.

Which school did you go to btw? It wasn't Westminster was it? (feel free to PM the response if that makes you more comfortable)
Reply 18
KiiNGofLONDON
Which school did you go to btw? It wasn't Westminster was it? (feel free to PM the response if that makes you more comfortable)

Naa why?
dn013
Naa why?

So Eton or Harrow then?

Latest

Trending

Trending