The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am guilty for using 'intrigues'. :sad: Too late, I sent off my personal statement today. But I didn't find it in the thesaurus or anything. :ninja: I just thought it wouldn't be as worse as 'passion' 'zeal' 'lust' 'thirst'. :ninja:
Good bloke
You haven't forgotten that I can see your draft PS, have you? :smile:

ooh big talk
from a little man
Mask Of Sanity
Is it bad that I've been asked if I've used a thesaurus when it came to certain words, even though I haven't actually done so? :laugh:

You should be aiming to make your PS as quickly and easily readable as possible and not trying to impress admissions tutors with your extensive vocabulary.
Reply 23
Good bloke

Haha, nice.
Good bloke
You should be aiming to make your PS as quickly and easily readable as possible and not trying to impress admissions tutors with your extensive vocabulary.

Danke. That's definitely something I need to work on at the moment. I think it's far from an easy read.

Now, back to constant re-editing of the structure. :sigh:
Maybe the fact that you CAN'T talk excitedly about your subject should tell you something about writing a passionate PS...as in, it won't be.
Reply 26
Use the word erection at least 4 times, if not more.
Good bloke

that one was poo and got scrapped :smile:
the one ive submitted is nothing like that one.
i bet i'll get 5 rejections now :/
Reply 28
lrkn
Use the word erection at least 4 times, if not more.

Yeah, I agree. :teehee:
I personally need the first sentence and then I'm fine. I wrote the PS I have now in one day. Think of what you've enjoyed about the subject so far, what you are looking forward to getting to do in university and mention anything you do in your spare time concerning your subject. For example if you were applying for Eng Lit you would talk about books you read in your spare time.

PS. If you cannot think of anything whatsoever question if you want to study it. I was applying for Eng & History but could think of very little for History and realised I probably would not enjoy it at university.
Reply 30
if you were passionate you would know :P:
Reply 31
Reems
Some alternatives?
I used fervour, zeal, commitment and enthusiasm

Those all have COMPLTELY different meanings and connotations.

I can have a zeal for something but not necessarily be committed.

I can be committed to something but not enthusiastic.

Fervour is used in the definition of zeal but they don't mean the same thing.

My point? Everybody should use their thesaurus carefully or not at all. Using overly florid language to describe a dull point will make you look ridiculous and using conspicuously similar yet incorrect language will make it clear you've been using a thesaurus with no degree of intelligence.
Reply 32
I agree with lrkn about using the thesaurus carefully, if you do decide to use it at all. Also, make sure you actually replace the word with one you are already familiar with. Don't replace something like 'happy' with something like 'convivial' if you've never heard of the word before, because chances are it will change the meaning of the whole thing.
The way to convey passion for a subject is to express an educated opinion on an issue related to the subject AND show that you know what the subject involves at degree level.

For example, if you are writing an economics PS, the way to demonstrate enthusiasm is to do some economics. "A recent article in The Economist describes [issue], where [explain issue and analyse implication]. However/In my view/From my own research, [light but solid crtiticism]". Keep it concise.
Reply 34
I've been trying to communicate why I like the subject, in the hope they see my passion that way. I felt like a right idiot just saying I have passion straight out. Hmm.
Reply 35
lrkn
Those all have COMPLTELY different meanings and connotations.

I can have a zeal for something but not necessarily be committed.

I can be committed to something but not enthusiastic.

Fervour is used in the definition of zeal but they don't mean the same thing.

My point? Everybody should use their thesaurus carefully or not at all. Using overly florid language to describe a dull point will make you look ridiculous and using conspicuously similar yet incorrect language will make it clear you've been using a thesaurus with no degree of intelligence.

So my 4/5 offers last year shows that they don't take personal statements serious!? =]
The point I'm trying to get at is that in my personal experience, statements are taken with a pinch of salt by admissions tutors. They won't dissect your language and think of every possible meaning of your sentences. Its an University application, not a criminal investigation.
Reply 36
Reems
So my 4/5 offers last year shows that they don't take personal statements serious!? =]

It was not a personal criticism, just illustrating a point.

If I was going to criticise your English I'd pick you up on *seriously but I'm not enough of a dick to do that.
Reply 37
lrkn
It was not a personal criticism, just illustrating a point.

If I was going to criticise your English I'd pick you up on *seriously but I'm not enough of a dick to do that.

#

Ah! You got me :eek:
I wasn't offended, don't worry.
=]

Latest

Trending

Trending