The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Overground
Have you got this list/table anywhere?

The Guardian University league table uses the data. You can manipulate the table to rank the universities on the basis of any one category. Average entry tariff.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Eleventy-One
Hi all,

A friend of mine claims that Edinburgh 'don't like AAA students' because they think they're being put as a back-up choice. He says that we don't have a chance of getting an offer from Edinburgh because we're both applying to Oxford.

My choices are: Oxford, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Manchester. Do I stand any sort of chance at getting into Edinburgh? :confused: I really love the uni but if there's no chance of me getting a place, I may as well choose somewhere else.

Did anyone apply to AAA unis and get an offer from Edinburgh as well?

Any help would be very much appreciated - I'll give rep!! xx

most people i know here have straight A's...
Reply 22
Also note: Edinburgh are strict on not just academic ability.
Reply 23
Slumpy
I've seen Edinburgh give out (at least one) offer before October 15th even, they don't care.(Actually, it might've been like, 2 or 3 days later, but still).

I'm at Edinburgh now, having applied on the 14th of october last year and got my offer on the morning of the 21st of the same month.
EDIT:
Also note that they're unlikely to give you an offer if you're not predicted an A in the two subjects most relevant to your degree course.
Reply 24
Ummm, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you all might want to read this: http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoolgate/2009/10/applying-to-university-why-getting-into-edinburgh-may-be-harder-than-you-think-especially-if-you-liv.html

It's basically what many of us have been alluding two for a while, but makes it more concise. I can start it as a new thread and sticky it if need be, might clear a few things up with regards to entrance.
Reply 25
0404343m
Ummm, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but you all might want to read this: http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoolgate/2009/10/applying-to-university-why-getting-into-edinburgh-may-be-harder-than-you-think-especially-if-you-liv.html

It's basically what many of us have been alluding two for a while, but makes it more concise. I can start it as a new thread and sticky it if need be, might clear a few things up with regards to entrance.

Well, that article basically contradicts all of my own experiences of applying to Edinburgh. I had the same predicted grades, applied for the same subject and came from roughly the same part of the country as 'Frances'. I got an offer, she apparently didn't. Actually, my GCSEs weren't even half as good as hers; I'm not sure what that says exactly. So the thing about English Lit offers at Edinburgh only being given to people with 10 A* at GCSE isn't necessarily true.

So, I'm a bit sceptical of that article. If this 'points system' is really as harsh as it seems then I'm quite amazed I even got an offer at all.
Reply 26
Static.
Well, that article basically contradicts all of my own experience of applying to Edinburgh. I had the same predicted grades, applied for the same subject and came from roughly the same part of the country as 'Frances'. I got an offer, she apparently didn't. Actually, my GCSEs weren't even half as good as hers; I'm not sure what that says exactly. So the thing about English Lit offers at Edinburgh only being given to people with 10 A* at GCSE isn't necessarily true.

So, I'm a bit sceptical of that article. If this 'points system' is really as harsh as it seems then I'm quite amazed I even got an offer at all.

Well, I'm less sceptical of her email from Edinburgh (and their reply when the Times asked them) than I am of, for example, the respondents to the article who said "It's full of English students so it must be rubbish." Edinburgh was my insurance at undergraduate level before I began studying in 2004- and it does sort of tally up with my own experience of them 'putting achievement in context'. I was made a very low offer BBBB (since I applied after 5th year, they only wanted one B as I didn't have maths) for a competitive course- a friend of mine who went to school down the road (a well to do fee-paying private school where 80% of students went to university vs the meagre 20% at my school) from me in central Scotland. Interestingly, despite him doing better than me in 5th year results and applying to the same course, they set him a harder conditional for entry. This article doesn't actually specify how it allocates points to students from poorer-than-average schools, but it does give points for other areas. So it is possible that your school was lower down the national attainment rates than hers, or your personal statement or whatever triggered a set of conditions that meant they felt you were more worthy of a place than her. It's hard to know without full backgrounds of students, but I don't think this article will be too far wide of the mark, to be honest.

Latest

Trending

Trending