The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

'Edinburgh don't like AAA students'??

Hi all,

A friend of mine claims that Edinburgh 'don't like AAA students' because they think they're being put as a back-up choice. He says that we don't have a chance of getting an offer from Edinburgh because we're both applying to Oxford.

My choices are: Oxford, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Manchester. Do I stand any sort of chance at getting into Edinburgh? :confused: I really love the uni but if there's no chance of me getting a place, I may as well choose somewhere else.

Did anyone apply to AAA unis and get an offer from Edinburgh as well?

Any help would be very much appreciated - I'll give rep!! xx

Scroll to see replies

Is your friend applying to Edinburgh too, by any chance?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Edinburgh gave me and most of my friends offers, and certainly a fair few of us were straight As.
Eleventy-One
Hi all,

A friend of mine claims that Edinburgh 'don't like AAA students' because they think they're being put as a back-up choice. He says that we don't have a chance of getting an offer from Edinburgh because we're both applying to Oxford.

My choices are: Oxford, UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Manchester. Do I stand any sort of chance at getting into Edinburgh? :confused: I really love the uni but if there's no chance of me getting a place, I may as well choose somewhere else.

No this has no truth whatsoever, universities offer places based on academic merit and not whether or not you more likely to place it as your firm.

Besides, other universities cannot see where else you have applied to, so by applying to Oxford will not place you at a disadvantage. :smile:
Reply 4
davidcy147
No this has no truth whatsoever, universities offer places based on academic merit and not whether or not you more likely to place it as your firm.

Besides, other universities cannot see where else you have applied to, so by applying to Oxford will not place you at a disadvantage. :smile:

But surely they'll be able to work it out from how early I apply?
Reply 5
I know someone who is at Edinburgh right now..

But I don't think they base offers on that idea.
Eleventy-One

No not at all. Our school made us apply at the Oxbridge deadline as to get in there early to get the offers before the spaces ran out. Many schools do so they will not jump to conclusion on that one.
Bear in mind it's also widely discussed that Edinburgh supposedly don't like students predicted any less than AAA.
Reply 8
Eleventy-One

I've seen Edinburgh give out (at least one) offer before October 15th even, they don't care.(Actually, it might've been like, 2 or 3 days later, but still).
Reply 9
Considering that they now state on their website hat they won't consider those without AAA for some courses on their website I don't think that that is the case.
Reply 10
GodspeedGehenna
Is your friend applying to Edinburgh too, by any chance?

He was going to, but then he decided against it. He's completely convinced that they won't even consider him. But then again, he thinks that about York too... He thinks they're all out to get him.
Eleventy-One
Hi all,

you believe that and yet you're applying to Oxford?!

Not true: if anything Edinburgh like AAA candidates - if they are in Scotland/ EU then there is a chance they may be chosen over Oxford due to the fee differences and if they give an offer to an oxbridge candidate who gets an offer, then they stand one of the best chances of being an insurance of all the top universities because their standard offer is so low.
I applied with a 4A prediction, as did a number of other people that I know here. In many subjects they are looking for people of a straight A standard. The average grades achieved of current students at Edinburgh is the 10th highest in the UK which wouldn't be possible if it refused entry to A-grade students.
Reply 13
nah,for english students they want AAA standards, they're awfully picky too since they don't take as many as scottish students proportionally (not sure why, we pay them!)

erm i think 5 of my friends, including me, applied to edinburgh, and the only one who also applied to Oxford was the only one to get an offer...despite all being AAA/AAB standard students?

edit: whoops forgot that one of my friends from another school also applied and got in and is in fact there now, he got AAB i think, but he won some geology award for getting the best mark in the country or something, basically full UMS, so it'd wouldve been weird if they hadn't taken him :p:
Reply 14
Thanks everyone!! Much appreciated xx
Reply 15
Eleventy-One
Hi all,

Utter BS, a mate of mine got into medicine, his choices including oxford and edinburgh, he's now at edinburgh, and he had Straight a's at a level and almost straight A*'s at gcse, was head boy etc etc.
Reply 16
Sounds like bs but then again I was AAA and got rejected. I was accepted by Newcastle, UEA, Leeds and York...so my PS can't have been that bad.
Reply 17
I applied to Cambridge (rejected) and some other very good universities - I was predicted and achieved AAA and I got an offer from Edinburgh.
Simon117
Sounds like bs but then again I was AAA and got rejected. I was accepted by Newcastle, UEA, Leeds and York...so my PS can't have been that bad.

So? They look for different things in a PS than other universities do, just because you've got what say, York want, it doesn't mean you've got what Edinburgh or any other university want. There is a huge huge huge focus on the PS here as the vast majority of applicants have AAA+ so it is the way they distinguish between applicants. Having all As is really not a big deal as the majority of the student population do.

I wasn't predicted all As however, but they still let me in :smile:
artorscience?
I applied with a 4A prediction, as did a number of other people that I know here. In many subjects they are looking for people of a straight A standard. The average grades achieved of current students at Edinburgh is the 10th highest in the UK which wouldn't be possible if it refused entry to A-grade students.

Have you got this list/table anywhere?

Latest

Trending

Trending