The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1
Is it just 140 now, from 250?

I got an Asus netbook, best thing I ever bought. But, it runs linux, meaning there's a bit more hassle, and just a few things don't run eg. spss for the psychology course, but there's almost always an open source alternative for Linux.

Of course, most netbooks have window now.

Personally, I think you can't beat their portability. Also, with no drive but an SSD they're much touugher.

Does anyone know... can you claim the grant if it's not your first year? I already had this netbook when I started studying so was granted ... a grant (?) but never used it, but I think I'll need a new one in a year or so.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Oh, but it's rude to ask new questions in someone elses thread isn't it? Sorry.
Reply 3
It was £250 when I got it in 2008 I used it and my course grant to get an Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop (might have had to put some of 'my own' money towards it too). I love it, it does everything I need to do, it has works and runs all the bits and pieces from the OU. Laptop with wifi has been good for me as I can do my work anywhere.
Make sure you save you're reciept as they do want them as proof you put it towards to PC, they sent me a reminder!
And in answer to the second question in this thread, I got the grant whilst doing my second course. This may be because it wasn't offered when I did my first course, I don't know for sure! But it is worth investigating!
hth
K
Reply 4
junko
Oh, but it's rude to ask new questions in someone elses thread isn't it? Sorry.

Not at all!

And a third question :p: :

Can you buy a laptop without a CD drive (a net book then buy an external hard drive)?
Reply 5
Not at all, junko :smile:

You can indeed h82think, they start about £40 for a decentish one. I wish it was still £250 - the netbook i want is £199
Reply 6
Last I heard you could combine the PC grant with the £250 study materials grant to get a PC if you wanted. Not sure if that still applies, and not sure how much the study materials grant is for 2009. Can't check either as the OU seems to be down right now.

If that is still the case though, combining them might solve your £200 problem to the tune of up to £390.
Reply 7
I've applied for it. The PC Grant and course grant comes to £400 I think and you can get some good laptops for that! Obviously they don't expect you to get a new laptop for £140 so you can combine it with the course grant and/or your own money. I'm getting my dad to look for a laptop for me as he knows more about computers than I do! :-)
Reply 8
junko
Is it just 140 now, from 250?

I got an Asus netbook, best thing I ever bought. But, it runs linux, meaning there's a bit more hassle, and just a few things don't run eg. spss for the psychology course, but there's almost always an open source alternative for Linux.

Of course, most netbooks have window now.

Personally, I think you can't beat their portability. Also, with no drive but an SSD they're much touugher.

Does anyone know... can you claim the grant if it's not your first year? I already had this netbook when I started studying so was granted ... a grant (?) but never used it, but I think I'll need a new one in a year or so.

You can only get one PC grant. You can apply if you're not in your first year, but I think first years get priority.
Reply 9
I know this is an old thread, but can anyone get a PC grant or is it means tested? Thanks

Latest