The Student Room Group

Bringing A levels forward to Easter: good/bad idea?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6863777.ece

The exams watchdog has backed an overhaul of the university applications system that would enable teenagers to sit A levels immediately after Easter and to get their results before the end of the summer term.

The intervention by Kathleen Tattersall, the chief executive of Ofqual, makes it more likely that school leavers will soon be able to apply for degree courses with actual A-level results rather than, as at present, predicted grades that they may not achieve.Universities, schools leaders, the Ucas admissions service, exam awarding bodies and the Government are locked in talks over how to implement the radical changes to the system.

They are under pressure after hundreds of students lost their places on university courses this year because of bad A-level marking. Universities did not hold open their offers while papers were remarked because of the pressure not to over-recruit students.

Ms Tattersall said that it was totally unacceptable and unfair that candidates missed out. “We will take it up with the awarding bodies and we will see whether there are ways in which we can shave some time off the return of results,” she told the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference in Liverpool yesterday.

A levels could also be taken earlier in the summer term and publication of the results brought forward, she added, “so that there can be proper time for applications to universities”...

Yes or no?

Scroll to see replies

So, what are you saying? A Levels all finished by summer of Year 12? Or AS Levels, then results by like June?

I don't see how that helps at all...
The way I see it, it's a double ended sword really because it does dramatically shorten the period of revision and the time the students can learn the material but to the same credit, if the smount of teching and time needed is no longer then september to easter then the bringing forward of exams get sixth formers out of school and therefore means less government expenditure of sicth form education. This is a debate which has no right or wrong answer in my opinion, however I do think that if they are going to bring the exams forward they should start with a smaller gap, from june/july to easter is a big change.
No they should just hire more markers or do exams for maths and science like the exam you get at uni ie computer marked MCQ. TBH if my uni lecturer can mark 30+ pieces of coursework at 2000-5000 words each in a week i dont see why the remarks of exam paper cant be market quicker anyway ie 2-3days at the most.We all know that the papers can be scanned and emailed in a matter of minutes so a remark within a few hours is in theory possible
Reply 4
sil3nt_cha0s
So, what are you saying? A Levels all finished by summer of Year 12? Or AS Levels, then results by like June?

I don't see how that helps at all...

As in, instead of sitting the exams in the summer and receiving results mid/late August, you sit exams in the Easter and get results by the end of term.

With the amount of people being conned of places due to questionable predictions and late remarks, there's a good concept there.
Skadoosh
As in, instead of sitting the exams in the summer and receiving results mid/late August, you sit exams in the Easter and get results by the end of term.

With the amount of people being conned of places due to questionable predictions and late remarks, there's a good concept there.

I only see it as a good idea if you then start the A2 work straight after the exams, so you get like 1/3 to 1/2 of the syllabus done so predictions can be easier. Or is there something else behind this?
Reply 6
brokenangel
No they should just hire more markers or do exams for maths and science like the exam you get at uni ie computer marked MCQ. TBH if my uni lecturer can mark 30+ pieces of coursework at 2000-5000 words each in a week i dont see why the remarks of exam paper cant be market quicker anyway ie 2-3days at the most.We all know that the papers can be scanned and emailed in a matter of minutes so a remark within a few hours is in theory possible

Is that a joke?

And I've never done an MCQ exam despite 3 years of uni. Also, how the hell would a maths MCQ work??
surely then though if they're doing this so you apply when you have your results, you wouldn't even be applying to uni until essentially the summer holidays? everyone would end up applying at the same time rather than medics and whatnot early, and interviews would be crammed in. It would however mean you were guaranteed you place cutting down problems of insurance choices, tis a tough one to decide however i wouldn't be liking the lack of revision time compared to now
Reply 8
But surely taking away peoples time will only make people do worse meaning there has to me moree resits and moree remarks ¬¬

I do not like this idea tbh..
Robob
Is that a joke?

And I've never done an MCQ exam despite 3 years of uni. Also, how the hell would a maths MCQ work??

easy you give a choice of say 8 answer all only differing very slightly ie 8.943211 or 8.943212 and the student has to work out the question anyway to figure out the correct answer the same can be done with alegbra aswell. Its just stops marks being awarded for the correct method but wrong answer.

I know MCQ are common on my course and on a quite a few medical courses aswell
sil3nt_cha0s
I only see it as a good idea if you then start the A2 work straight after the exams, so you get like 1/3 to 1/2 of the syllabus done so predictions can be easier. Or is there something else behind this?

Wa Wa Wee Wa, :borat: 50,000 posts exactly!! Nice avatar btw.

I think it's a good idea overall tbh. Although I think holiday times would need to be shortened. Also, revising and going through the hell of UCAS at the same time would be deadly, that's the biggest fear of mine.
KiiNGofLONDON
Wa Wa Wee Wa, 50,000 posts exactly!! Nice avatar btw.

I think it's a good idea overall tbh. Although I think holiday times would need to be shortened. Also, revising and going through the hell of UCAS at the same time would be deadly, that's the biggest fear of mine.

:rolleyes:

No, look closer my friend :wink:
sil3nt_cha0s
:rolleyes:

No, look closer my friend :wink:

I think it's one of those 'it was right under your nose' moments, because I keep looking closer and closer - my nose is on the screen now - and I can't see anything suggesting otherwise. :dontknow:
And? It'll still only affect AS results, which is only one factor for universities. Personal statements, interviews, aptitude tests for certain courses, etc. are more important in many cases than AS grades.

The only way you can apply to university with your results is if you take a gap year.
KiiNGofLONDON
I think it's one of those 'it was right under your nose' moments, because I keep looking closer and closer - my nose is on the screen now - and I can't see anything suggesting otherwise.

go to my profile, I have over 3,000 posts :wink:
Aphotic Cosmos
And? It'll still only affect AS results, which is only one factor for universities. Personal statements, interviews, aptitude tests for certain courses, etc. are more important in many cases than AS grades.

The only way you can apply to university with your results is if you take a gap year.

I take it you didnt read the article A2 exams will be immediatly after Easter and you will get your results before applying to university.
brokenangel
I take it you didnt read the article A2 exams will be immediatly after Easter and you will get your results before applying to university.

Oh, ignore me then.

I should really read things before I comment on them . . . /facepalm
sil3nt_cha0s
go to my profile, I have over 3,000 posts :wink:

:naughty: lol that's the only thing I thought it could have been. Why didn't I propose that? :stomp:
Reply 18
They should change the school year completely if this happens. School to start in August, 1st exams in December, 2nd exams in April/May, school year end May/June so you can enjoy summer.
Reply 19
Skadoosh

But if this happens, there will only be 2/3 months for everyone to apply to uni and for the uni's to make their decisions. At the moment UCAS is open September to January and universities can make their decision up until May, so it would be dramatically shorter. Not to mention harder to interview applicants for Oxbridge/ medicine etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending