The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Hopelessly Conflicted -- Study Abroad?

Hello there!

Thank you in advance to whoever gets a chance to offer some advice. I so appreciate it!!!!

As you may have gathered from the title, I'm having difficulty deciding whether or not to go abroad. I'm a student in the USA (Boston, MA to be exact) who was just accepted into a semester long program at the University of Edinburgh and now have just under two weeks to make a final decision. And, I find that I cannot.

My biggest concerns are a)meeting new people, b)adjusting to life abroad and c)finding out what to do with the three week long break in April.

What are your thoughts? Is it easy to dive in second semester and meet people? What do you do for fun? Also, how is that extended break usually spent? Being from the US I've never had that long of a spring break and am worried about finding myself at a loss for what to do. . .

Any other tips you may have would be great! Thanks!!!
go for it, it'll be fun!

if you're a social person, it will be easy to make friends in the second semester

by the time spring break comes, you'll think of summat to do , why not visit the US for a holiday?

Don't over think it, do!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
eas319
My biggest concerns are a)meeting new people, b)adjusting to life abroad and c)finding out what to do with the three week long break in April.

a) The international office run events for new international students. There is a societies fair at the beginning of the second semester giving you the chance to get involved with societies if you want to meet people that way. And your depending on the courses you pick you could be surrounded by people who don't know each other - 2 of my second semester courses last year had more exchange students on than home students and there's plenty of potential to meet people even on courses where the other students already know each other.

b) Life in the UK and USA aren't that different that you'll experience a massive culture shock.

c) There are plenty of options. Travel around the UK or take a trip into Europe. Stay in Edinburgh and actually spend time seeing the city outside of the university area. Study for your exams. And on some courses you might have essay deadlines at the end of the period.
If you can afford it financially and you're not the world's worst introvert then do it. The benefits should outweigh the cons by quite some way, so go ahead. It'll give you a better world view and an opportunity to live in a city that you would struggle to afford if you were an average citizen.
I've just returned to Edinburgh from my year abroad last year, and my advice is go for it - my year abroad was one of the best years ever in so many different ways, as I met so many people and did so many different things which I wouldn't have done if I'd just stayed at home in Edinburgh for the year. My ideas and perspectives on so many different things have changed an awful lot as a result of the last year. Honestly, if you've got the money and stuff as the others have said, then please please go for it as hopefully you'll have the best time ever. I miss my friends from my year abroad so so much, but I think the fact you're in a weird exchange community where you know you're only going to have these people in your life for X amount of months makes you get even closer quicker.

Also, during the 3 weeks at April you will have revision to do for exams, so there will be something for you to do! Its not a break as such, it is time for finishing essays and starting revision. But yes, go to other places in the UK and go to Europe - take advantage of the cheap flights. You will
be living with first years if you go for university owned accommodation meaning some of them might also want to come travelling with you, as their exams aren't as important as in later years so they can afford a few days off from revision.
Look deep into your heart and you will find the answer.
by the time april comes you will be friends with a lot of people and you will have something fun to do,no doubt about this
Do it! :yes:
Reply 8
Thanks so much!!!! I feel so much better about everything!
do it! Studying abroad is amazing, new people, a slightly different culture, america=supersize everything, just ensure they cut back on salt and portion size in some of those diners hehe.

Latest

Trending

Trending