The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford's apllication porcssing fees

Well i'm in the last step of my application form for Oxford. As mentioned in Oxford's website, i can use a cheque or a bank draft to pay for the application fees but i didn't get the last part:

Alternatively, payment may be made by cheque or an international banker’s draft, both of which must be drawn on a UK bank.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/application_guide.html#apaying_the_application_fee

what does it mean here 'on a UK bank'? Must the bank be in UK? lol i'm lost :o:

and the address is just to "University Of Oxford"?. That's all? No postal address, street, etc?
Reply 1
newman24x
Well i'm in the last step of my application form for Oxford. As mentioned in Oxford's website, i can use a cheque or a bank draft to pay for the application fees but i didn't get the last part:

Alternatively, payment may be made by cheque or an international banker’s draft, both of which must be drawn on a UK bank.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/application_guide.html#apaying_the_application_fee

and the address is just to "University Of Oxford"?. That's all? No postal address, street, etc?

You really do ask a lot of questions. It means the cheque must be in pound sterling, not your local currency. It would be easier to use Visa or MasterCard, if that's available to you.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
newman24x

I think it has to be a bank with branches in the UK to avoid additional fees for converting the currency, so if you have an account with, say, Barclay's in Trinidad, that would still be OK. Once again, I fail to see why you didn't just do the online application.:confused: You could have paid for that with a credit card, which should be much more convenient for most international applicants.

The university as a whole has no postal address, so that would make sense.
Reply 3
hobnob
I think it has to be a bank with branches in the UK to avoid additional fees for converting the currency, so if you have an account with, say, Barclay's in Trinidad, that would still be OK. Once again, I fail to see why you didn't just do the online application.:confused: You could have paid for that with a credit card, which should be much more convenient for most international applicants.

The university as a whole has no postal address, so that would make sense.

My application had a full postal address, I remember. It wasn't sent to 'The University of Oxford', it was sent to whatever department I applied to. You need a postcode anyway, because otherwise the UK mail service (who are not that great) will tend to say they won't deliver it. There must be a help number at Oxford you can call.
Reply 4
If someone is struggling to get through the application process without help should they really be applying to Oxford?
Reply 5
SleepyGrad
My application had a full postal address, I remember. It wasn't sent to 'The University of Oxford', it was sent to whatever department I applied to. You need a postcode anyway, because otherwise the UK mail service (who are not that great) will tend to say they won't deliver it. There must be a help number at Oxford you can call.

Yes, of course, but not on the cheque, because that is included with the application.
Reply 6
pipsi
If someone is struggling to get through the application process without help should they really be applying to Oxford?

Ah, yes, there's that well-known correlation between minor admin and academic research, I forgot ...
Reply 7
SleepyGrad
Ah, yes, there's that well-known correlation between minor admin and academic research, I forgot ...

Yes, it's funny how people tend to assume that intelligence automatically implies common sense...:smile: To be fair, though, it really isn't all that challenging to fill in an application form if you just read the instructions properly.
Reply 8
hobnob
Yes, it's funny how people tend to assume that intelligence automatically implies common sense...:smile: To be fair, though, it really isn't all that challenging to fill in an application form if you just read the instructions properly.

Yeah, they do tend to assume that. Thanks for correcting me earlier btw (didn't see it til now) - of course you're right you don't need a postcode on a cheque!

I will say, though, I find it really, really hard to fill in application forms and I've messed up or made mistakes on more of them than I could count. Even things that should be obvious don't seem obvious to me. Writing a dissertation - no worries. Filling in the form to hand it in - terror. So we're all different.
Reply 9
SleepyGrad
You need a postcode anyway, because otherwise the UK mail service (who are not that great) will tend to say they won't deliver it.

I've heard that too. I would be reconsidering an paper applications right now, since there seems to be a major RM strike looming on the horizon.:eek3:
rmn002
I've heard that too. I would be reconsidering an paper applications right now, since there seems to be a major RM strike looming on the horizon.:eek3:

The graduate admissions office does have a full address, it's here:

The Graduate Admissions Office
PO Box 738
University of Oxford
Wellington Square
OX1 9FB
United Kingdom

(unless you're applying for certain courses: info here http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/application_guide.html

But anyone who's applying as an International student I would full say apply online!
Reply 11
apotoftea

But anyone who's applying as an International student I would full say apply online!

may i ask why?
newman24x
may i ask why?

Because it is just SO much easier. Means you can also pay online for your application fee and not have to worry about cheques in UK sterling etc.

And if Royal Mail does strike, it's going to be utter chaos given that we are now in the run up to Christmas post and there's just no guarantee that your application will get there on time. If you apply online, it'll definitely get there.
Reply 13
newman24x
may i ask why?

Because it's easier, much faster, and you don't have to worry about your application and materials getting lost in the mail (or not arriving by the due date).
pipsi

:ditto:
Reply 15
hobnob
To be fair, though, it really isn't all that challenging to fill in an application form if you just read the instructions properly.

Oxford's supporting materials are fantastic. The only problem I had an issue with was the implication on the Oriental Faculty's website that I should approach a supervisor.

In fact, Oxford's applications are much easier than my home institution, which, god-willing, I will never again see from this time next year.

It's Cambridge's website which is far more... er... challenging. :tongue:
Reply 16
newman24x
may i ask why?

To add to what others have said, it is also a really handy way of being able to access your application materials from any computer at any time...which can be good if you're applying for a course which interviews (I looked over my CV/covering letter the night before online, saved having to carry lots on the train).

Latest

Trending

Trending