The Student Room Group

Bacterial Vaginosis

I think I might have Bacterial Vaginosis.
For a while now I have smelt kinda fishy down below but its getting worse. I can somtimes smell it through my jeans.
My knickers become really wet and at fist I was wondering if I was leaking urine because they stain slightly yellow but they smell fishy too.
I sometimes need to change my knickers a few times a day...

I really do not want to see a doctor about this, because it'll be akward and I'll probably get perscribed antibiotics which I don't want. I've been on metronidazol (the ont that wikipedia says should clear it up) for a throat infection a few months ago. I had 4 courses of it, finishing my latest course a week so I know that the antibiotics won't help as I has this problem while on the antibiotics.

Basically I was wondering if there are any other possibilities about what it could be and if there is any over the counter products I can try?
Reply 1
I'd just like to add that I'm a virgin so theres no way it could be an STI.
Suck it up, and just see your GP.
firstly, never trust wikipedia for medical advice, secondly, whats wrong with antibiotics? It may be fungal aswell, it needs to get checked out as its affecting your personal hygiene, and could lead to even worse problems, it sounds nasty.

In the mean time, wipe yourself from front-back after using the loo, and wear cotton underwear, have a spare pair handy in your bag for when you notice its dirty
Reply 4
Ilora-Danon
Suck it up, and just see your GP.

Ewwww... seriously?
Reply 5
nobody on here, can advice you anything for sure. go see your gp.
Reply 6
Ugh. Okay, I'll phone up in the morning and see if I can get one.

Is she likely to, er, look? I think I'd cry if she made a comment about the smell... :frown:
Anonymous
Ugh. Okay, I'll phone up in the morning and see if I can get one.

Is she likely to, er, look? I think I'd cry if she made a comment about the smell... :frown:

yeah she'll have a look, and doctors are MEANT to be sensitive, mention to her its quite an offensive smell before hand
Reply 8
Subcutaneous
yeah she'll have a look, and doctors are MEANT to be sensitive, mention to her its quite an offensive smell before hand

Okay, will do.
Thanks for the help.
Reply 9
Try balence active
Reply 10
*Barf*
Reply 11
JessicaLouisaBond
Try balence active

I googled that and found the name is Balance Activ.
I just popped into boots and they didn't have it. Is it something you should be able to buy from most chemists?
I'll see a doc anyway but I'd prefer something like this instead of antibiotics...

"got a little extra cheese on your taco?"
Reply 13
try probiotics, stuff like that is quite common if you take antibiotics for a prolonged period of time - they actually cause it sometimes
ViolatedTreason

"got a little extra cheese on your taco?"

LMFAO.

Well done, I am creased.

But OP...go see a doctor. Eeeeeew.
i agree with tidbits take probiotics and use pantyliners and use them on your pants. the moisture is only discharge, your vagina is self cleaning, obviously you still wash down there. every female goes through one time or another if it gets on your pants just change your pants have spares ready in your bag. try eve products, pantyliners are used for discharge, never use tampons or period pads. i don't understand why everyone is saying eww
nicky_innit
LMFAO.

Well done, I am creased.

But OP...go see a doctor. Eeeeeew.

i was hoping someone would get it..
ViolatedTreason
i was hoping someone would get it..

:awesome:
Reply 18
Definitely see your gp, but in the mean time try femfresh wipes and femfresh intimate wash... I use them because I am a clean freak, and I tend to get cystitis a lot... they are really great I definitely recommend them.. you can take the wipes in your handbag, and the wash can be used to replace your usual shower gel, it smells lovely. Also pantyliners.
Reply 19
Anonymous
I googled that and found the name is Balance Activ.
I just popped into boots and they didn't have it. Is it something you should be able to buy from most chemists?
I'll see a doc anyway but I'd prefer something like this instead of antibiotics...

yeah should have it in any chemist :biggrin:

Latest