The Student Room Group

S1 or M2

This poll is closed

S1 or M2

S156%
M244%
Total votes: 27
My maths teacher has offered the 4 pupils in my Maths class who aren't doing physics (including me) the chance to do S1 instead of M2, however we will have to teach it ourselves, but he'll help us with anything we get stuck on,

Anyone's views on which is easier are appreciated!

EDIT: Yes I did do M1, got a B in that module (A in the others).
Reply 1
donks169
My maths teacher has offered the 4 pupils in my Maths class who aren't doing physics (including me) the chance to do S1 instead of M2, however we will have to teach it ourselves, but he'll help us with anything we get stuck on,

I did S1 and it was really easy to do, easy to self-teach it really. Just do all the past papers about 2-3 times and you'll be fine.
I've not done M2 though so I can't judge.
Reply 2
S1 is far far easier than M2, so if you think you can teach yourselves decently then I'd go for it :smile:
Reply 3
Have you done M1? If so then I'd say definitely do M2. It's quite challenging and satisfying. S1 really isn't that fun. But it's easier than M2. So go for it :ahee:
I've done both module really it depends what you like. If you found M1 really easy and simple I'd learn M2 and you don't learn many new formulae in M2, just new applications. If, however, you didn't like or do well at M1 I would choose S1, as it is really easy.

If you do choose M2 I'd ask for an S1 book nonetheless just so you can look through it.

Personally I would do S1, but I did further maths so we did both anyway.
Reply 5
S1 without a shadow of a doubt. Unless you do physics, in which case M2.
Reply 6
S1 is boring as **** and stupid maths which i hated
Not done M2 but doing M1 and im doing mechanics and physics and its so much more fun..

I think you will have to pick between, Fun/Harder Vs Boring/Easy..
Reply 7
I'd say do S1, it can be dull and frustrating at times but if your willing to put the work in and memorize all the methods you should get top marks in it no problem.
Reply 8
How did you do on M1?

S1 is horrendous. Really. Absolutely mind-numbing, you really don't wanna go there if at all possible.
Reply 9
Sgrafitti
How did you do on M1?

S1 is horrendous. Really. Absolutely mind-numbing, you really don't wanna go there if at all possible.

I wouldn't listen to these people saying S1 is horrible, it's not loads of fun but it's not THAT bad..
Reply 10
Josh-H
I wouldn't listen to these people saying S1 is horrible, it's not loads of fun but it's not THAT bad..

It really is. I found S1 harder than C4 :sigh:
S1 is boring but alot of it is easy to self-learn / taught already at GCSE level :smile:
Reply 12
I haven't done the mechanics modules, so I can't say either way. All I can say is, of all the units I took at AS, my worst mark was in S1 (still got an A, though). Is it normal to find S1 more difficult than C1 and C2?
I wouldnt recommend m2, if you havent done physics..plus S1 is eeeeaaasyyyyyyy!
I did M1 last year, which wasn't too bad, and had the opportunity to do M2 or S1 this year. I decided to go for S1 just because it's simple and all my other subjects are getting harder. Just go with whatever feels right for you.
Reply 15
donks169

EDIT: Yes I did do M1, got a B in that module (A in the others).

If you understood the concepts in M1 well then M2 shouldn't be any more of a challenge - in fact I did a lot better than M2 than M1 (100% for M2 and 94% for M1)

Latest