The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ali_04
Does anyone know the precise definitions of magnitude and frequency just in case we have to define them in the introduction? Also any other term defs would be v v useful too!

cheers Ali xxx

magnitude earth quakes is measured on two scales The richter and mercalli scale

Richter scale is a logarithmic scale in which an event measured at 6 has a ten fold increase in the amplitude of teh measured seismic wave over an event measured at 6 on teh scale.

the energy release is proportionate to the magnitude so that for ech unit increase in the scale, teh energy release increases aporximately 30 times

the mercalli scale measures teh intensity of teh event and its impact; it is another way of lmeasuring the magnitude of a quake. this is a 12 point scale that runs from level 1 ( detected by seismographs only) to 12 - visable shaking of teh ground (roughly 8 on teh richter scale)

Frequncy of a quake is basically how often its recurrance interval is; the bigger teh quake teh less likely it is tto occur - like the normal distributionin math (the bigger the value - the smaller the probabilityof it occurring)

pk
Reply 2
does anyone know how many questions are in this exam, i've just generally thought it would be 1, is this true?
Reply 3
durhamlad1
does anyone know how many questions are in this exam, i've just generally thought it would be 1, is this true?

For each section (wilderness, hazards etc.) there are 2 questions and we only have to answer one.
Reply 4
What does spatial mean? In words I can understand and in words i'd use to define it in an essay
Reply 5
Spatial is really about the same as positioning or distribution, e.g. spatially, earthquakes mainly occur along plate boundaries i would say. I would define magnitude as the size and extent of an event, whereas frequency would be the how often it occurs, or the temporal distribution. let me no if any1 disagrees!

Latest

Trending

Trending