The Student Room Group

Low As Grades = no offers :(

I got BBCD on my a levels....:frown:

I really want to go to Kent to study english literature and they are asking for Abb....but i dont think i have the grades to get in....:frown:

Im resiting my eng (i was 6 marks away from an A which i was really happy about because i seriously majorly messed my exam up, but beside that ive never gotten below an A in english so i hopefully will raise that to a A) Im also resisting my politcs which i got a c in.....So hopefully ill have ABBD.

I think my predeicted grades as AAB/ABB.

I also like Aberdeen and they are asking for CCC.

TBH 100% my ultimate choice though would be Glasgow but i dont stand a chance because they want AAB.

So i was talking to my careers teacher and she said becuase my grades were so low i shouldnt apply to any unis asking above BBC/BCC :frown: she also said i should probably just apply to 3 or 4 (Im not sure why though ha ha)....is she right? should i just aim lower?

help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

they arent bad :smile:
just resit and getting good predictions
Apply to places you want to go. If you don't get in then take a gap year and reapply with your grades in hand. If you bum out in the exams you can always go through clearing.
Reply 3
Well if you have ever applied to uni before, Using UCAS you have a maximum of 5 choices of unis you can apply to, and you should make applications to the ones you like/ want to go to, if you have never been round the uni make an appointment to go to on of their open/applicant days to help make your final decision.

Then when you receive offers (either conditional= which means you have a place at the uni but only if you meet required grades, and unconditional= your in for definate), you can make a firm choice on which of the 5 you found most preferrable

Oh and, try your luck on one of your choices with a uni with a slightly higher grade band, don't try to aim low, but tbh there are a lot of good uni's especially those that are in your current grade band now... so don't lose too much hope..
Reply 4
sounds like your careers teacher needs to see a careers teacher, she doesn't seem to capable in hers.
If you're predicted grades are going to be AAB/ABB and you have a good personal statement and references, I don't see why you shouldn't apply to Glasgow. However I would also choose some uni's that ask for around BBC incase you don't meet your predictions.

Just work hard and good luck :smile:
Try for the ones that you really want to go to this year, but be prepared not to get offers.

If you don't get the offers you want, then finish your A-levels, resit your AS levels, and attain the grades necessary for the courses you want to apply to, which would put you in a much stronger position.
Reply 7
Thank you for everyone whose repiled....but my stress may be slightly over.

They want 300-320 (Kent) from 3.5 Alevels. So does that mean they are calculating my three A level grades plus the As level i dropped? So for instance if i got ABC (A level) plus the D i got at As would mean i had 330 points (and if by some chance they counted key skilles id have 340)......but im not sure what they mean by 3.5 ha ha....

please reply :biggrin:
Summer19

I really want to go to Kent to study english literature and they are asking for Abb....but i dont think i have the grades to get in....:frown:

Im resiting my eng (i was 6 marks away from an A which i was really happy about because i seriously majorly messed my exam up, but beside that ive never gotten below an A in english so i hopefully will raise that to a A) Im also resisting my politcs which i got a c in.....So hopefully ill have ABBD.
:cool:

TBH 100% my ultimate choice though would be Glasgow but i dont stand a chance because they want AAB.

So i was talking to my careers teacher and she said becuase my grades were so low i shouldnt apply to any unis asking above BBC/BCC :frown: she also said i should probably just apply to 3 or 4 (Im not sure why though ha ha)....is she right? should i just aim lower?

the unis will only care about ur predicted grades

unless ur mad you'll have put ur grades as pending where ur doing the A2.....so ur achieved grades won't come into it
OP, you should
a)See what your overall predicted grades will be.
b)From this, decide what universities to apply to.
c)Retake the damn exams.
d)If you got decent grades at the end of it (for Jan/June exams), there is always the chance to apply through ucas extra (Jan results) or ucas clearing (May/June results).
e) Alternatively you can GAP
Barden
the unis will only care about ur predicted grades
Not true. It is one of the considerations
Reply 10
I know people who applied last year for entry this year with AS grades worse than yours, and applying to places that want higher grades than the places you're considering. For example, one girl I know ended up with CDDU at AS and got a conditional offer at a university wanting ABB. Ultimately, although AS grades do count to a certain extent, the fact that she had high predicted grades and a particularly good personal statement took her a long way, so don't be afraid to apply to the universities that want more, as long as you've got one or two back up choices.
Glasgow is pretty good you know :rolleyes:
And if so, where could the OP go?
(edited 3 years ago)
Your predictions are more important, let them guide you.
also - reading this thread = your advisor is a fool
I got ABBD in my AS levels, but I still got an offer from Exeter asking for AAA because those were my predicted grades.
My AS went up to AAAD after resits... and then my A2s went down again to ABB! But it was ok because my firm only wanted that.
Reply 15
You got it right the first time :p:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Its mostly about prediction grades when they make you offers, I guess yours is better than mine.
Okay right, but what about my question...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Summer19

I think my predeicted grades as AAB/ABB.

Career advisors are stuck with a crappy job so they enjoy screwing over other people's futures for the lols.

Apply to Glasgow, I'd recommend this format

1. Glasgow AAB
2. ABB university
3. ABB university
4. BBB/BBC university
5. Aberdeen as your CCC safety choice
Reply 19
Im in a similar situation!
Resit and like you said you messed up first time
im sure you wont make the same mistake again :smile:

Latest

Trending