The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread

Scroll to see replies

has any one got the f214 paper that we all did in jan?? and the mark scheme??

edit:no worries i got it, i feel like im cheating now that i have a past paper to go through - thanks ocr for giving us no resources in jan
azn-wonder91
You know you're going crazy when you read the words
-glucose
-glucagon
-glycogen
-glycogenesis
-glucogenolysis
-gluconeogenesis
and start laughing like a psycho o.O

bahaha lol i was going over that today and thinking wtf
Can someone please give me an exam-style outline of the Krebs cycle?
Eternal love and rep up for grabs
Soiosia
I have a question on the calvin cycle.....

so, I understand that when we take away light from a plant the supply of ATP and NADP stops, as the light dependent stage cannot occur, this means that GP cannot be converted into TP anymore and so GP concentration builds up.

So, my book says that the calvin cycle continues untill all the TP is used up...... what I dont understand is how can the calvin cycle continue, converting TP to RuBP, when there is no ATP? Dont we require ATP to convert TP to RuBP?

TP can be converted to other products, no?
could anyone explain beta oxidation is a sentence ?!? please :smile:
Soiosia
I have a question on the calvin cycle.....

so, I understand that when we take away light from a plant the supply of ATP and NADP stops, as the light dependent stage cannot occur, this means that GP cannot be converted into TP anymore and so GP concentration builds up.

So, my book says that the calvin cycle continues untill all the TP is used up...... what I dont understand is how can the calvin cycle continue, converting TP to RuBP, when there is no ATP? Dont we require ATP to convert TP to RuBP?

Yes, the calvin cycle continues until all the TP has been used up - this means that TP is converted into other stuff like hexose sugars (glucose, fructose etc.) and glycerol - to make AA and sugars - until the TP has been used up fully . So it wouldn't be converted to RuBP because ATP is needed for that process, but will be converted to other stuff.
Reply 3306
Mushaboom
Can someone please give me an exam-style outline of the Krebs cycle?
Eternal love and rep up for grabs

Describe the main features of the Krebs cycle. No credit will be given for a flow diagram [7 Marks + 1 QWC Mark]

-The Krebs Cycle is a series of small steps
-Each catalysed by specific enzymes
-Citrate (6C) is the first compound formed by
-Oxaloacetate (4C), the acceptor molecule with the
-Addition of Acetate (2C) via acetyl CoA
-Citrate (6C) undergoes decarboxylation which
-Releases (2 molecules) of carbon dioxide and
-Undergoes dehydrogenation
-Releasing (4 pairs) of hydrogen to
-Hydrogen acceptors such as
-FAD and NAD
-Each cycle generates 3 reduced NAD and
-1 reduced FAD though
-There are 2 cycles/1 glucose molecule so one glucose molecule generates 6 reduced NAD and 2 reduced FAD
-Also ATP is formed by
-Substrate-level phosphorylation
-Reduced FAD and NAD are used in Oxidative Phosphorylation.

Each bullet point is a mark, so all 17 valid marking points are here.

Hope it helps.
Reply 3307
riotsandraves
could anyone explain beta oxidation is a sentence ?!? please :smile:

CoA combines with Acetate from the link reaction to form Acetyl CoA, which then enters the krebs cycle. But there are other sources of Acetyl CoA.

Beta-Oxidation is a process whereby fatty acids (such as Acyl CoA) are broken down in mitochondria, forming Acetyl CoA. This Acetyl CoA can then enter straight into the Krebs cycle, (as it is already in the mitochondria).

Sorry, it's 4 sentences. Hope it helps.
Reply 3308
Slacking..majorly. I need to get this U up to an A. :frown: ahhh FML.
Ohhai
Slacking..majorly. I need to get this U up to an A. :frown: ahhh FML.

I found these these notes....there are amazing..it has evrything you need for biology
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=85673&d=1275233677
Reply 3310
student92
Yes, the calvin cycle continues until all the TP has been used up - this means that TP is converted into other stuff like hexose sugars (glucose, fructose etc.) and glycerol - to make AA and sugars - until the TP has been used up fully . So it wouldn't be converted to RuBP because ATP is needed for that process, but will be converted to other stuff.

Thankyou! So, to clarify, the TP is converted into starches, but the calvin cycle doesnt really continue, really, the TP just gets completely put into making other sugars, including the 5/6ths that goes into regenerating RuBP when the calvin cycle is functioning properly (with light)?

Would this mean that in theory, there will be more sugar produced more quickly in the first few minutes/seconds when there is no light? As all of the TP goes to make other sugars, and no TP is used to regenerate RuBP?

Just an idea.....
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone give me the january paper we did for this module????? :frown:
Reply 3312
when the neurone is at rest what ion channels are open and closed??
Reply 3313
When refering to oxidisation and reduction reactions... is it okay to just explain how reduction is the gaining of a hydrogen atom, and oxidisation the loss. Or do we need to include details on electrons... because this does confuse me slightly.
Reply 3314
gingerfish
I found these these notes....there are amazing..it has evrything you need for biology
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=85673&d=1275233677

Thank you, i'm already using those notes, they're really good. I'm just not bothered to learn it all. :'(
bluelou
When refering to oxidisation and reduction reactions... is it okay to just explain how reduction is the gaining of a hydrogen atom, and oxidisation the loss. Or do we need to include details on electrons... because this does confuse me slightly.

Just remember it in terms of electrons: Oxidation Is Loss of electrons, Reductions Is Gain of electrons, OILRIG (:
Alex-92
Describe the main features of the Krebs cycle. No credit will be given for a flow diagram [7 Marks + 1 QWC Mark]

-The Krebs Cycle is a series of small steps
-Each catalysed by specific enzymes
-Citrate (6C) is the first compound formed by
-Oxaloacetate (4C), the acceptor molecule with the
-Addition of Acetate (2C) via acetyl CoA
-Citrate (6C) undergoes decarboxylation which
-Releases (2 molecules) of carbon dioxide and
-Undergoes dehydrogenation
-Releasing (4 pairs) of hydrogen to
-Hydrogen acceptors such as
-FAD and NAD
-Each cycle generates 3 reduced NAD and
-1 reduced FAD though
-There are 2 cycles/1 glucose molecule so one glucose molecule generates 6 reduced NAD and 2 reduced FAD
-Also ATP is formed by
-Substrate-level phosphorylation
-Reduced FAD and NAD are used in Oxidative Phosphorylation.

Each bullet point is a mark, so all 17 valid marking points are here.

Hope it helps.

Thank you, that is so much clearer!
Reply 3317
PotterLover
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone give me the january paper we did for this module????? :frown:

PM your email address, the files are too large to attach.
Reply 3318
dontkillhannah
Just remember it in terms of electrons: Oxidation Is Loss of electrons, Reductions Is Gain of electrons, OILRIG (:

Thankyou. yeah i Know the OILRIG thing, but is it exactly the same with hydrogen? Like reduction is gain of hydrogen eg. NAD + H > NADH. and oxidisation is the loss of it, but the loss of electrons as well, or just the loss of electrons, or do the two go hand in hand.. so do you state both. Hah sorry as you can see quite confused.
In some notes posted on here it says...

"In the loop of Henle, salts are transferred from the ascending limb to the descending limb. This means that the tissue fluid in the medulla has a very negative water potential, as so water is lost by osmosis, particularly in the collection duct."

Does this mean "and so water is lost by osmosis" or "as so much water is lost by osmosis"?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending