The Student Room Group

Help with AS choices

I'm in year eleven and I'm really confused about what to choose for my fourth AS level.
I know that I'm definitely going to do English lit, Spanish and History but for the fourth I'm stuck between Maths, Theatre Studies and Philosophy and Ethics.
I'm choosing with a view to do either Philosophy or History as a degree and I'm worried about Theatre studies being a soft option but I love it!
Advice?
I would do philosophy, math is boring at A level but a good one to do.

Theatre was ok but alot of work.
Reply 2
do Maths- the greatest subject ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smile: Thanks for your advice!
Hm....well if your wanting to do philosophy as a degree then obviously, its going to be useful to have it at a-level.
Also, is there a reason you wanted to do maths? Because it seems a little bit random there.....

I would choose between philosophy and theatre studies personally.

BUT, to be honest, you should do whatever you enjoy the most, and are best at. Because you have three other very strong options. =)
Maths is godly. However, Philosophy and Ethics may be favourable as it relates to your degree more.
Yeah but I've heard from a couple of places that maths helps with the logical side of the degree. Thanks again !
Reply 7
Definitely maths, it's probably useful for your degree but even if it isn't employers will love it :smile:
First Class Stampy
Yeah but I've heard from a couple of places that maths helps with the logical side of the degree. Thanks again !

Good point! I didn't think about that.

Basically, maths is an absolutely AMAZING subject to have and looks very impressive, but it is VERY hard as well.
So if your good at it and enjoy it, then go for it!

And yes, theatre studies can be seen as a soft option by some unis, but most of them have recognized just how much work actually goes into it now, so are fine with people having it as a fourth (or 3rd) a level. =)
Reply 9
As above. I would say do Philosophy as it relates to your course, but maths is awesome :ahee:
English lit, History and Spanish are all awesome :coma:

If you are sure you want to do philosophy/history then Philosophy and ethics is probably a good idea. Although having three essay subjects as it is may make maths a good idea.

Do whichever you think you will enjoy most though as your subjects are all good.
Thanks for the advice, maths is looking like the most likely option. I'm just finding it hard to give up theatre studies.
First Class Stampy
Thanks for the advice, maths is looking like the most likely option. I'm just finding it hard to give up theatre studies.

If you really enjoy theatre/acting maybe you could do drama outside of school as a compromise?
I'd say Maths or Philosophy, since Theatre kills. Though having doen a Phhilosophy A Level probably won't help you a jot if that's what you want to study - some Unis even might prefer if you'd done Maths. It helps to read lots of books on philosophy, so that you know a lot taht way and have a broad spectrum of interests. This also helps you to be sure that's what you want to do.

I don't want to be condescending here, but when I was in the beginnign of Year 11 I stil lwanted to do English Lit or Music. And now I... well, not so much. What's important is that you read a lot and keep your optiosn open. But whatever path you choose, I wish you luck!
First Class Stampy
I'm in year eleven and I'm really confused about what to choose for my fourth AS level.
I know that I'm definitely going to do English lit, Spanish and History but for the fourth I'm stuck between Maths, Theatre Studies and Philosophy and Ethics.
I'm choosing with a view to do either Philosophy or History as a degree and I'm worried about Theatre studies being a soft option but I love it!
Advice?

You've got three strong subjects there so your fourth can be any of those, really.

I find Maths terribly boring at the moment, but I didn't really expect it to be interesting.

I can imagine Philosophy would be interesting. Plus, if you're thinking of it at degree level then you need it at A level.

You could afford to take Theatre Studies with those three strong ones but it really depends if you want to do Philosophy at a higher level.

Latest