The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
awm55
Based upon what I have seen at UCL and comparing it to the students I met while at a top American Unis, I have come to the conclusion that the kids at the American school were vastly more driven and hard working.

And there is absolutely no way that UCL churns out more important research than MIT. I am sure UCL has a great neuroscience department, i was never doubting that.

Lol I repeat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCL_Neuroscience

That is better neuroscience research than MIT for a start

You can't base your conclusions on the subjective experience of one person. Atleast say something with a bit of factual meat on it.

Rule 1 of uni is that anyone can go around making claims and conclusions.. the one's that deserve to be heard are the ones who can back it up with evidence
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 101
musty129
Lol I repeat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCL_Neuroscience

That is better neuroscience research than MIT for a start

You can't base your conclusions on the subjective experience of one person. Atleast say something with a bit of factual meat on it.

Rule 1 of uni is that anyone can go around making claims and conclusions.. the one's that deserve to be heard are the ones who can back it up with evidence

you are basing your argument off a fact on a wikipedia article that is not even cited...well done
Reply 103
i am not doubting that UCL has a good neuroscience department. on the whole however, MIT is a superior institution. do you have any idea how hard that school is to get into and how hard it is academically? you are awarded pass/fail your first year because it is so rigorous, and one day a month nothing is allowed to take place so students have a day to relax. it is on another level entirely. It makes Oxbridge look like a cakewalk.

just look at the alumni from MIT, UCL cannot compare in any way.
Reply 104
awm55
i am not doubting that UCL has a good neuroscience department. on the whole however, MIT is a superior institution.

Overall MIT is probably better, and that's important at undergrad level. Come postgraduate applications, it's the programmes that university offers, people that work in research there and the good reputations which brings funding that matters. And in the case of Neuroscience UCL is very hard to beat.
Reply 105
pure_joy
Overall MIT is probably better, and that's important at undergrad level. Come postgraduate applications, it's the programmes that university offers, people that work in research there and the good reputations which brings funding that matters. And in the case of Neuroscience UCL is very hard to beat.

i agree with this
Reply 106
awm55
i am not doubting that UCL has a good neuroscience department. on the whole however, MIT is a superior institution. do you have any idea how hard that school is to get into and how hard it is academically? you are awarded pass/fail your first year because it is so rigorous, and one day a month nothing is allowed to take place so students have a day to relax. it is on another level entirely. It makes Oxbridge look like a cakewalk.

just look at the alumni from MIT, UCL cannot compare in any way.

Yeah but the past isn't the present..

Even then UCL has some amazing alumni ranging from ghandi to roger penrose, francis crick, flemming, lister, to name a few of scientist among the hundreds

Also to further a comparison 25 alumni from MIT have won nobel prizes and 21 from UCL. even though it is more it does show that the difference isn't as big as you're making it out to be.

If truth be told I only really know about the Psychology/Neuroscience and if I had to make a guess I would say that MIT is better but by nowhere near as large an amount as your making out. And this is just a guess based on no real evidence.

Also just because application is harder does not mean that the courses are better.
Remember how big America is in comparison to the UK.. I'm not 100% sure about this but I'd guess from the size difference that the just because america is that much bigger, more people will apply per a place to the top universities. e.g. say 5% of any year think they deserve a shot at the top Uni's because they have some decent grades. In the uk 5% of 60 mill is much smaller than 5% of 900 mill. If it's all true then just by nature more ppl will apply the top uni's in the USA. It doesen't however mean that they're better universities in terms of the courses they provide or the research they do (which is what the rankings assess)
Reply 107
musty129
Yeah but the past isn't the present..

Even then UCL has some amazing alumni ranging from ghandi to roger penrose, francis crick, flemming, lister, to name a few of scientist among the hundreds

Also to further a comparison 25 alumni from MIT have won nobel prizes and 21 from UCL. even though it is more it does show that the difference isn't as big as you're making it out to be.

If truth be told I only really know about the Psychology/Neuroscience and if I had to make a guess I would say that MIT is better but by nowhere near as large an amount as your making out. And this is just a guess based on no real evidence.

Also just because application is harder does not mean that the courses are better.
Remember how big America is in comparison to the UK.. I'm not 100% sure about this but I'd guess from the size difference that the just because america is that much bigger, more people will apply per a place to the top universities. e.g. say 5% of any year think they deserve a shot at the top Uni's because they have some decent grades. In the uk 5% of 60 mill is much smaller than 5% of 900 mill. If it's all true then just by nature more ppl will apply the top uni's in the USA. It doesen't however mean that they're better universities in terms of the courses they provide or the research they do (which is what the rankings assess)

the US is 300 million people and has thousands of universities so your logic makes no sense.

and your nobel prize data is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation

MIT has more than 3x as many people win nobel prizes
Reply 108
awm55
the US is 300 million people and has thousands of universities so your logic makes no sense.

and your nobel prize data is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation

MIT has more than 3x as many people win nobel prizes

Wow much smaller than expected lol

I was only making estimates but it still holds true in the sense of people applying to top universities. It doesen't work on exact ratios and will be biased by people applying to "the top universities".
Think about why people choose to apply to these uni's... and the amount of people that have these reasons will be more in the USA than the UK.

And the nobel prize mistake wasn't my fault.. I got my information from another wikipedia page lol. The MIT under Alumni. Still the original point I made about the past not representing the present still holds true. It's only recent that UCL has gained such a place for good reason.
This is so funny.

A great univ defends its reputation only by its work and people.

get too emotional about the ranking. especially the imperial guy.

TBH, the nickname for imperial is imperial college of asia and far east. I don't know what to do about it.

Latest